Spike Camp

Coyote hunting 101

james7mmwby

Re: Coyote hunting 101
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
Roger,

Are you sure those experienced bones of yours can take the thrashing of a 3 1/2 12g. LOL

James

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
Hehehe..Thats cool James.  My wife just stopped dead and asked me "so what happens if you get one??".  Well I havent gotten that far, but I got good info on skinning em and I'm reading up on preserving the pelt.  I offered a coat or a bedspread, but she's not ready for that yet.

For me its all about getting out there... right now coyotes are the only legal hunt for me.  I have spring turkey tags which is my next venture so i'm right up there with you Roger.  I spook a turkey in the same spot every other week of deer season, so hopefully they'll be there in May.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 12:38:14 PM »
Arrgh:I have been exposed.I am shooting the 3 1/2 in a pump now.Looking for the semi for a little less pounding perhaps. ;D Any excuse to buy a new gun.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

ballistic

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
Was out this morning for awhile, got a couple but only drug the one back to the truck. Its to much work for something that isnt worth anything anyways, they sure dont like those 60gr. bergers.

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »
Good shooting Ballistic.What calls were you using and how long were your shots?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

ballistic

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »
Hey Roger: I use mouth calls, I have various types and brands but have one inparticular thats my go to gitt'r done call. I use sceery's, have lohman, haydayl's, primos, my special little call I've been using for 20 yrs. I also use howlers, there really responding to my distress call right now. They are in the mating period now so coyote vocalization works pretty good to. One I took this morning was working his way closer but his mate was almost down wind of me so I had to take him at 150yds. Couldnt touch the second one running away but it was fun trying. My second coyote came in to around 90 yds. he had a mate with to but he wouldve been on top of me before she was in view to take a shot at, so just got the one out of that set to.

zonie

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
Petey :  Right now is a great time to call except for too much snow,  when it melts down I think I would be out there.  Congrats on the call let us know how it works.

James :  Your wife will love the coyote coat.   Man have you priced the better ones ?  If you could get enough winter hides like Ballistic gets it would make a wonderful coat,  just save them up and have one made.  Might look at a womens fashion hat in coyote.  I just don't like skinning these stinky old AZ yotes.  Ron 

james7mmwby

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Ron,

A federal member of parliament sent out his official Xmas card with a picture of he and his family decked out Canadian coyote fur. He caught a lot of crap from PETA. To his credit he defended the Canadian tradition of hunting and trapping and his continued support for it, and he's a liberal. I think I want to make myself a mad trapper hat before the Mrs gets a coat. Our season closes at the end of april when the pups come and stays closed until fall, summer fur is no good anyway. You can still shoot them to protect farm animals all year. I have never met a warden that would ding someone for coyote shooting unless they were trespassing or being careless with firearms.

James

zonie

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
James :  That's pretty cool I would imagine Peta had a field day.  I do have a mad bomber hat and keeps my head warm , it's camo & rabbit fur store bought.  We don't have a season down here open all year.  Summer time they are pretty manegy.  Winter coats are great, but ours don't get the real lite colors as in the north in winter and I don't think they get quite as big as your neck of the woods.  My  turkey hunting buddy just shot one out his front door last night with a riot shot gun  he keeps next to the door, 40 yds he dumped him on the second shot.   Ron

james7mmwby

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
Ron,

The only reason we have season where I live is because I am in the Algonquin Park buffer zone. That means we have a season for wolf and coyote but no bag limit. Outside the buffer zone its 12 months a year and some regions have bounties on the yotes. Our yotes get pretty big and are often mistaken for wolves by the uneducated. I received an e-mail from an aquatance with a picture asking what was eating a deer in his field. He had convinced himself it was a wolf, I took one look at the photo and and it was a yote. I asked where was the next photo of the dead yote, there was none. We get some real cool colour phases as well, I really want to get a red one.

James

zonie

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 12:47:11 AM »
James :  Ours are typical desert colors, with the reintroduction of the Mexican Gray Wolves down here we have to be really consious of what we are shooting. The Wolves are a huge no no.  All the game regulations for the last several years and posters in the game depts have identification photos so someone hopefully won't mistake one for the other.  The biggest problem with the Mexican wolf is they aren't that big as yours and identifying one in a scope a long range is difficult at best expecially in the winter coats. They used to be all  tracking collared, but now they are breeding in the wild and you can see where that could lead to problems.  For guy's like me who are into identifying it's not a big deal I can tell the difference, but some of these guy's can't.  I have no doubt there have been a few shot by mistake and most likely the hunters just walked away.  Fines can be up to 50,000 dollars and possible imprisonment, (most likely for guy's poaching with intent),  they are beyond serious about it down here.  One thing I see more and more down here is Kit Foxes and I seen my first Wiesel the other day.  I thought they were much larger than they actually are I couldn't believe how small they are,  very cool to see one.     Ron