Spike Camp

Nosler Partitions vs. Accubonds

Nosler Partitions vs. Accubonds
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:09:08 PM »
I’m curious about the Nosler Accubonds.  I mainly shoot 180 grain partitions in my 300wby, but am wondering what the main differences between these two bullets are.  What benefits would I get shooting accubonds and what drawbacks would there be? 

Re: Nosler Partitions vs. Accubonds
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:32:07 PM »
I believe the main difference would be that the accubonds are designed to be more of a long range performer... accurate at distance AND with good terminal performance.   NP is designed for deep penetration and expansion = excellent terminal performance, but with less emphasis on tack driving accuracy at distance.   So, guess depends on the distance you plan to be shooting.     Moose at 150, NP may be way to go.   Mule deer at 350, Accubond may be way to go. 

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
Like most old timers, I have a tough time changing to anything that's not a Partition. But I will admit that Accubonds do offer one significant advantage. They are a bonded Ballistic Tip. So, you can do load development & smaller animal hunting with the cheaper B.T.'s, & use the Accubonds on the bigger stuff. Also, the Accubond is less likely to seperate than the Partition.

Jim

snuff

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »
I love the 150 grain NP in my .270 and have dropped 200 lb. deer with one shot - no problem.
It shoots great in my .270 and .308 and does a great job with Whitetail Deer.

However, I bought a bunch of 180 grain Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for my .300 Mag and and new Leupold VX-3 with CDS reticle and all I can say is WOW!!!

I dopped a 6x6 Bull Elk that field dressed 525 lbs. with one shot and hit literally fell over when I shot him.

4 1/2 days later I shot a 5x6 mule deer that field dressed 210 lbs and again - one shot - in his tracks.

I have shot allot of nice groups with this ammo and plan to use it for years to come in my .300 mag since I have 6 more boxes.

PS - I talked to Federal and they said that the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw was their premium "hunting bullet" and highly recommended it over the Accubond.

Hope this helps!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »
Like others have stated, it is a bonded bullet with all the advantages associated with it plus it is designed for greater long range capability.  Most hunters are not exploiting the capabilities of this bullet but there is a growing following.

I personally don't see any improvement over the tried and true ballistic tip on game up to mule deer but I do see where the accubond's will give the old partition a run for its money on larger game.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:02:08 PM »
from all the asking around i chose the 180gr noslar partition for me great acceracy and tremendous knocked down power i have never hunted elk or moose but it has always been a true profermer they are both proven profermers i guess it just personal choice
Hey anti hunters my food poops on your food

James

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
I have killed game with both Partition and Accubond bullets. The Accubond bullets create a much nastier wound channel than the Partitions, and nothing hit with my Accubond bullets has taken even a single step after being hit. The Partition bullets were also excellent bullets, but they did not create the massive internal damage the Accubond bullets do. I put several shots through an elk, turning it into a terrible mess inside, but it did not die quickly as I had hoped. Penetration was excellent with both. The Accubond bullets are much more accurate at long distances than the Partitions.
We cannot improve our government by electing people that hate our government...

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »
Any bonded lead core bullet will out perform any non bonded lead core bullet i have never seen or heard of a partition staying together the front always over expands the jacket folds back over what's left of the shank greatly reducing it's weight it works on smaller animals but on bigger animals it just doesn't retain enough weight to penetrate properly it's one bullet i would never use again but some people love them
                                                                Nik

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »
Any bonded lead core bullet will out perform any non bonded lead core bullet i have never seen or heard of a partition staying together the front always over expands the jacket folds back over what's left of the shank greatly reducing it's weight it works on smaller animals but on bigger animals it just doesn't retain enough weight to penetrate properly it's one bullet i would never use again but some people love them
                                                                Nik

I agree and this is very evident with the lighter bullets of a given caliber.  I have always used the heavier selections and have never experienced  a failure. IE: 150 grain .277 or 180 grain .308 etc...  The new bonded bullets have opened the door for lighter bullets by providing better terminal performance for their length.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
I have used them both and have gone over to Accubonds for the most part.  The partitons I still use are the heavy 7mm flavor. They don't make them in all the standardish bullet weights. Can't get a 150 or 175 gr Accubond.  Partitons are what they are and they pretty much loose the nose and keep on truckin. Accubonds expand big time and the do dump a lot of energy in the animal but they don't come apart like a ballistic tip can. They shoot well,  best of both worlds I think.

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
I have been using 180 Accubonds in my .300 WSM with terrific results. Big wound channels and big exit wounds.  No issues on terminal performance. My rifle shoots them @2950 fps into 3/4" groups with boring regularity. No recovered bullets and no running critters yet.

The only caution I've heard is guys taking very close shots with impact velocities over 3300fps... that's pretty hard on any bullet- bonded, monometal or not.

I've alway found the Partition to lose most of the front core- even at moderate velocities. I simply think its the way its designed and not a bullet failure in the classical sense.

For the most part I've switched to Accubonds.
"That's not snow you cheechako!... that's crystaline sunshine."

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
I thank everyone for their responses.  A lot of good feedback.  I've killed everything in N America with partitions, and wondered about the accubonds.  I'll have to load up a bunch and check them out at the range.  Its hard for us oldtimers to learn new tricks if you know what I mean.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 05:13:36 AM »
Compare the Hawk bullet and when doing so look at the comments by the editor of Field & Stream. I now use them.

http://www.hawkbullets.com

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 09:55:49 AM »
http://www.nosler.com/bullets.aspx
Just look up the individual product you have questions about and even call them if you have unanswered questions, i am sure John Nosler taught his employees to give great CS! Most everyone has given you all the information you could need but their could be some information on this site that might help out in it's own way?
http://www.weatherby.com/support/faq/latest/items
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Operation Desert Shield / Storm Disabled Vet

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 07:02:07 PM »
Another alternative to the Accubonds is Swift Scirocco II .  Not much more expensive, heavy pure copper jackets, (which can be a good thing or bad), depending on how you look at it, and who you talk to , seals better and doesn't fracture as bad as gilding metal,  a little longer  secant ojive with  better bc's.  Down side there isn't a large selection caliber wise.    Ron