Spike Camp

Which is better to carry cartridges in, a belt or a stock carrier

Re: Which is better to carry cartridges in, a belt or a stock carrier
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 09:05:55 AM »
Since the MARINES went to such "pains" to make me a rifleman, I'll present  a  point or two in this debate. When one considers that having EXTRA rounds is a precautionary consideration, the rifleman merely sees this as an answer to a "target rich environment". The primary goal is to HIT any target with EACH round fired, at the point of aim. This is a precautionary understanding that forces the "rifleman" to use good judgement in assessing one's ability with the distance, climatic conditions, and target movement, prior to the making of the shot.  Furthermore having ammo exposed presents its own detriments to good shooting.  As a younger man and a new competitive shooter I made some of the mistakes common to all. One of these is exposure of ammo to the sun before firing. What happens is that the brass will pick up some of the heat from ambient temp and sunlight and will hold it. When the cartridge is placed into a hot chamber for firing this will translate into higher pressure in the chamber and barrel. This tends to increase the elevation once the shot is fired which, (obviously), can be a miss if your shooting at a target that is 600-800 yards away. Naturally, time of exposure, temperature, sun light intensity, are all contributing factors.  Also, (previously noted), ammo carried in belts or on stocks tend to get their noses dinged or knarled which can affect accuracy. Thusly, if you want to hit your targets, keep your ammo in the weapon, or in a box that protects them. Having them on the stock looks BUTCH, but; to a "rifleman" , it's merely the demonstration of the uneducated. As for me, I carry 2 rounds in the rifle and expect to use only one!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 03:08:59 PM by Kristian »
Kristian Selous

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »
Pretty interesting take on it. I don't generally engage multiple targets while hunting big game.  When I engage the VC "Venison Chops"  I like to try to pick out the unarmed ones in order to keep the tacticle reloading down to a minimum.  ;D

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
LOL,Chip! I like the butt stock carry,myself.  I think they help protect the stock. Never got one soggy in the jungles of South florida,yet.    ;D         
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:24:39 PM by badsection »

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
 ;D.Chip:You always make me smile.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
I do like the Selous explanation though. An official, efficient way with words.
                                                                                74

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »
I load up my rifle and carry 4 more, 1 round in four different pockets. Whenever I unload my gun I always rotate the ammo with my pocket ammo. Just a silly routine I developed years ago.

James
exhale and squeeze

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
I like an elastic holder on the stock.
Troy

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
I think he brought up some good points too. I also think that a guy who walks into the field with just two rounds in a rifle had better not be hunting anything bigger than deer.  It's for sure that dangerous game is not on the menu.  Elk hunting like that is a joke too. Lets be real here.  

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
I have used the Cartridge holder on the stock on only one hunt. That was in Quebec for Caribou where we were allowed two Caribou and they were packing lead like they injoyed it. I found it very handy and with polar bear country near buy I allso found it comforting. That said for North America for witch im sure were taliking about I would go with the Stock version. But for my dream hunt to Africa I would go with the belt style so I could keep softs and solids on diffrent sides. But honestly here in MI. I just bring A spare clip for my BAR and its in A pouch on my belt.
Mark

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:33 PM »
I used to carry one on my belt, then I went to one on the stock and found out on one or more occasions that shells had been pushed out and lost. I now carry a box of shells in my backpack and 3 in the magazine. What I realize now is I carry way more shells and extra weight than I ever need. My brother and I joke about how we load all these shells up during the summer and fall and shoot one or two during hunting season. Also I really don't like having a bunch of extra things on my rifle that adds weight, it gets heavy enough carrying the darn thing up the hills.
From My Cold Dead Hands... Charlton Heston

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 06:11:23 AM »
i want to get one of those stock holders with a cover, think they would be perfect. have in past lost several rounds using the stock method so usually carry my spares in a holder in a side leg pocket.  tried a hard plastic ammo wallet this year that held 9 rounds and it worked pretty well but i think the soft wallets with a clip closure work best.  the plastic wallet was nice on the real wet days. if using the soft ammo wallet i only load 1 side to keep it light and better protect ammo and minimize discomfort on my leg. i almost never carry anything on my belt as i often walk to stands or spots then add a jacket and/or vest to keep warm, harder to get to that ammo belt and that side leg pocket is always exposed. thats what works for me but i hate dropping brass in woods unless its freshly fired!

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »
My .308 SUB-MOA holds one in the chamber and 5 in the magazine.

If you're going to need more than that you are in trouble, or should re-consider hunting as a hobby.

I also carry a handgun for up close encounter's in the FL brush. You gotta watch that during bow season though. The FWC catches you with a bow and firearm in tow, you'll not be happy.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 07:30:45 AM »
I'm pretty simple-minded when it comes to carrying extra ammo.  This season, I've been carrying two rifles afield - my 300Wby and a 350RemMag Rem673.  Obviously, each for different types of hunts.  I load each up with three in the mag, and one in the tube.  I do not climb trees loaded, for certain, but I leave the truck loaded and return to the truck loaded, and only unload at the base of the tree.  If I encounter deer between the truck and the stand, as has happened enough to know it's a distinct possibility, I like to be ready to take the shot when it presents.

For the last couple of years I've been using an old fleece glove as an ammo carrier.  It's a single now, as it's mate wore through on the fingers and ended up in the trash.  What I do is stick a round in each of the four finger holes (not the thumb) and then roll the glove cuff down to tighten the grip on the rounds.  This little soft, quiet package goes in my cargo pocket either on my pants or jacket, depending on my setup.  Never makes noise, haven't lost any ammo, and it's easily accessible.  Just grab it and squeeze and the rounds protrude enough to get them out with thumb and forefinger.

I don't care for exposed ammo, either, by the way.  And I never take ammo planning on shooting it all.  But 3-4 rounds is "insurance" against dropping and losing ammo or having some sort of misfire situation.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:27 AM »
Corey,   I guess about 4 or 5 years ago our game dept finally got smart and started allowing archery hunters to carry handguns for two legged predators.  Handguns cannot have a bbl length of more than 6"  , no optics or electronic sights.   Basically they don't want people out there with handguns that may be considered for hunting.  

The reason they did this if you take a close look at the AZ  G & F main regs,  you will see a dotted line across the whole state marking the I-8,  I-10 corridor to the south on the map page with a  highlight homeland security warning issues along the border may affect the quality of a persons hunt.  That's the nice way of saying the border isn't secured.  For several years now G & F has left over game tags in these southern regions, excellent Coues deer area.  Peope are scared and they aren't going down there in the numbers to hunt anymore.    Originally G & F was only going to open up handgun carry while archery hunting in the lower section of the state until they figured out if they left out the rest of the state eyebrows would be raised.