Spike Camp

7MM STW

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: 7MM STW
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 10:28:02 AM »
I looked at my Mark V action (7mm Rem) , looked at specs in Nosler book for stw. Stw case length - 2.850 Rem length - 2.500, no way it will fit in magazine or eject loaded.

Ballistic, you're looking at your Mark V and thinking it won't work, but there are two things that have to be done to make it work.  The bolt travel slot has to be milled out to 300Wby length, and the magazine would have to be replaced with a 300Wby length magazine.  If you look at your current magazine (with the bolt out of the rifle) I bet you can see the spacer at the back that limits your length.  The 300/340/375Wby magazine doesn't have that spacer, and the follower is full-length.

Bottom line is, there are only two Mark V actions in production currently - the 6 lug, and the 9-lug.  All the 9-lugs are capable of holding anything up to and including the 378-based stuff, so the STW's COL is not a problem.

Search on here for BighornWby and reach out to him about rechambering your rifle.  He's probably done it before, and can certainly do it easily.  I know he's done similar jobs.  His name is Ed, and he's a terrific fellow.  If you have any trouble contacting him, let me know and I'll connect you.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 06:46:21 PM »
duby thanks alot for  the info, I was suspicious about something like that being done, I guess I was refering that no way it would work in it's current form. I'll keep that in mind, thats good to know.
Troy

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »
Dubyam to try get the stw to fit into a standard length action(7mm rem) requires extensive modification even then oal could still be affected as they can only be opened a certain amount,the only way to do it properly is on the h&h magnum length action also the cheapest as it's only a simple rebarrel,a mark v with worn out barrel could be bought fairly cheap or a similar vanguard in 300 wby is the best option

Ballistic one thing i just remembered is if you choose the h&h length action have the throat lengthed to suit the magazine length,i don't own one so i don't know how long the magazine is but if it's long enough to seat longer 7mm bullets out further than factory specs get it throated to match to get the most out of the round
                                                            Nik

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 05:41:59 AM »
I'm going to give my gunsmith a call this week to see what this really takes.
We  are talking about a Vanguard / 1500 howa right? I already know what it takes to do a 700 rem.  Chamber reamer and a magazine and follower swap out.  Maybe it's more complicated with a Weatherby but I doubt it.   I still think it's a waste of time and money but it will go faster.   Faster is always better right up to the pont where it isn't.  I'd be more likely to make a 280 Improved myself.
Just as fast as a 7 Mag and uses less powder to do it.

Chip 

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
Nik, I'm aware of the limitations of the standard length (30-06 length) action when going beyond the 7mmRemMag, but my comments to Ballistic are specifically about the Mark V action being converted from 7mmRemMag to 7mmSTW.  The Mark V action is 375H&H length, regardless of chambering in magnum rounds, so it's just a matter of swapping out to a longer mag box (without the spacer) and milling the bolt travel slot to allow for full length travel.  Same as if you were rebarreling a 7mmWby to 300Wby.

With the Vanguard, I'm not sure what the COL limitations are, but I believe it's below 3.6" for the magazine.  I'm still waiting on a response on that one.

And I'll disagree slightly with you, Chip, in reference to the 280 Improved being "just as fast with less powder."  I'd say, keeping pressures equal, you'll get almost as fast with almost as much powder.  Physics is physics, and there's just not any way to get the same velocity from less powder, without increasing pressure.  The 280 Improved is a great round, so don't misunderstand me.  It's just not quite a 7mmRemMag.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 10:39:25 AM »
A 280 IMP with a 40 degree shoulder turned loose in a 26 inch barrel will hang with a 7 mag in a 24. Anybody have any info on a 7 rem mag improved?  It's already overbore so I doubt it could get enough extra case volume to do a whole lot but would be fun to play with anyway.

Chip       

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
 chip a 7mm rem improved is the 7mmweatherby :D
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 12:17:26 PM »
Nice one, Derrill!

Chip - I agree with what you just posted.  But, by that statement, I could then say that a 7mm-08 with a 26" barrel is equal to a 280Rem with a 24" barrel.  It's not a completely level field.  What happens if you get a 26" barreled 7mmRemMag?

Just bustin' your chops, buddy!  No harm.  I actually like improved cases (thus the 'bee affection), and I'm wishing I had the coin to build a 6.5-280RCBS Imp (30deg), but for right now, that's about $1400 more than I can spend.  (And it'd be about $1k for the rifle, altogether, then another $400 or so for the scope...)

I would like a 26" 7mmRemMag, though.  I had one for a brief time, but it was poorly built (by Remington) and would neither feed correctly nor achieve anything more than dismal velocity and accuracy.  So off it went.

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
Dubyam i thought the mark v would be the same as the vanguard in regards to action length,obviously not as the vanguard 7mm rem,300 win and 338 win are built on the standard length action which would need opening up a bit unless older ones are different,even then it would be a squeeze to fit and chip there's no way a 280 improved would get anywhere near a 7mmrem regardless of barrel length if loaded to safe levels,that's like saying the short magnums beat the standard length magnums even though they're loaded way hotter they just don't have the capacity,some even say the 300 win can be loaded to match the 300wby aint going to happen
                                                    Nik

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
Yeah, Nik, the Mark V is a 375H&H length action, and it's just "shortened" by using a mag spacer and cutting the bolt travel slot shorter on the bottom of the bolt.  The Vanguard is a "long" Standard length action, kind of like the Remington, and both will hold H&H/RUM length stuff, but seating length is a tad on the short side sometimes.

For the record, there was a true short action Mark V produced for just a brief time period.  I'd like to find one one day just to have it.  Probably never will.  Not sure when those were produced, but I think it was in the middle 90's.  Can't be sure right now, though.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »
Hey dubyam,

I have a 26 inch 7 Rem Mag now and it's an Accumark. So I have the best of both worlds.  It throws off the Weatherby haters in the field when you tell them it's a Rem Mag.  They only half hate it then.  I don't mind my chops busted it's not like I don't do any of that myself  ;D

Chip

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 07:23:24 AM »
Sounds like a nice rifle, Chip!  It would make an excellent 7mmSTW if you wanted to change it up...

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
Dubyam i would have thought they would be the same action length but my vanguard would need a lot of work for it to fit and with what you said about getting it to fit the mark v in 7mm rem how much extra would it cost as that sort of machining is expensive over here,in fact it would probably be cheaper ordering one from the custom shop compared to here,i don't know why but even when your dollar is strong it's still cheaper to buy over your way and pay for postage i recently bought a case tumbler and it was half the cost here and came with a couple extra bowls.
                                                                  Nik

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 06:59:15 PM »
Here's a picture of the 22.250 I had built. Has a hart barrel (heavy sporter .700 at muzzle with a 1-12" twist so I can shoot 60gr. Bergers. Actions been trued, has a fitted H-S Precision stock. Using the factory trigger, its really pretty good.
Troy

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:54 AM »
Nice rifle, Ballistic.  I need a smallbore bolt gun, for sure.  Lots of fun!

Nik - the machining costs here would be nominal - probably on the order of $50 or maybe $100, but I doubt that high.  The magazine swap is simply that, a swap of parts, no machining required.  Ed (BighornWby) has done a number of these sorts of swaps, and even built similar length rounds in the Vanguard action, so I'd be totally unworried about it.  Again, I'm not sure what the COL limits are for the Vanguard versus the Mark V when using 300Wby/375H&H length rounds, but I know you can make them work without much trouble.  And plenty of folks are more than happy with their 300Wby Vanguards, so the length issue must not be that big a deal.