Spike Camp

7MM STW

NIK SOKO

Re: 7MM STW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 11:00:34 PM »
Chip as far as i know most factory built 7mm rem's are built on the standard length action and the ejection port is in the 3.400" vicinity so i don't see how the 7mm stw would fit, unless the action is opened up or your talking about rifles built on the h&h length action
                                                         Nik

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
Nik,   
He just needs to find a gunsmith who has done a few.  There have been a ton of them done so unless they are all single shots now I bet there's a way to get it to work just fine.  I personally wouldn't  mess with it but hey everybody has their own thing they like. I'm pertty sure the magazine will have to be changed. The empties will eject ok but racking out a live round might be another story unless as you say the action is a 375 H&h length.  Then again with a hinged floor plate it's not a big deal. It is not the perfect solution by any means. It will work.

Chip   

Chip

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
By my calculations, the Mark V would work (perhaps with a new magazine box and machining the bolt travel slot a tad longer than the 7mmWby or 7mmRemMag.  The Vanguard would work, as well, as it handles the 300Wby without much fanfare, so it could handle the STW.  Seating length (COL) would be limited by the magazine, but it's workable and will feed.  Or a Remington 700 action, a Savage 110 action, or any magnum length action (375H&H length) will work.  If you want a 'bee, it's very doable.  You just have to find a donor gun and a good gunsmith.  If you were to run up on a 300Wby in decent shape, you could easily and almost as cheaply rebarrel it to 7mmSTW, too.  Just food for thought.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

NIK SOKO

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »
Chip i have heard of one person getting a standard length action opened up so it would handle longer rounds but that was for a 338win and it was so the bullets could be seated level with the base of the neck increasing capacity,of coarse the throat was lengthened too and some one on here said about doing it so maybe that's how they get them to fit,i wouldn't do it either i'd be happy with the 7mm wby but like you say everyone has their own thing,i find this sort of thing fascinating but then i'm right into the technical side of guns and how some gun smiths get something like this to work is a pretty cool bit of ingenuity
                                                                 Nik

NIK SOKO

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 10:39:28 AM »
Dubyam you posted while i was posting but talking about food for thought how long is the action that the 300 wby (mkv or vanguard) comes in,is it a h&h length or is it an opened up standard length i would say it's the h&h length because it would mean more work at the factory otherwise,i own the 300win vanguard not the 300 wby so i can't say for sure but a second hand 300 wby vanguard would be perfect for a rebarrel to 7mm stw even a new one would still be reasonably cheap
                                                                 Nik

zonie

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
Interesting article from the guy who intvented the 7mm stw Layne Simpson   www.rifleshootermag.com/ammunition/7mmstw_071207/index.html     

I was reading on his 6.5 stw and that would be a rifle I would be interested in.   Although the 7mm stw from just reading this wouldn't be all that hard to do.  If I ever got a wild hair one day I would probably pick up a 7mm rem mag Vanguard and have it rechambered, be something different.    Ron 

zonie

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
Check out the load data on the 7mm stw on Hodgdons web site vs what Simpsons data is, and I verified it against the barnes manual.  What a difference.   Ron

ballistic

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
Zonie: thats a good article, gives ya something to think about. I would love to send a 160 gr. Accubond at 3200fps or maybe more. That kind of BC would be awesome long range shooter if it shot sub mao.

ballistic

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
Hey guys I have a simple solution, how about Weatherby do another run of them again, I would buy an accumark chambered in one in a second.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 11:46:40 AM »
Nik, I think there's a thread around here somewhere that talks about the mag length and maximum COL possible in a 300Wby Vanguard, but I haven't searched for it.  I'll put in a call to a friend who owns one and see what he says.  Might take a day or two to get around to it.  The gist of it is that the Vanguard is on the long end of action lengths for both the long and short actions, and because of that, can accomodate chamberings that other actions cannot.  Savage also enjoys this "longer" status in both action lengths.  Compare that to Remington, whose long action is acceptably long, but whose short action is short enough to preclude significant seating length (COL) in various cartridges to prevent me from owning one.  That's why the SAUM's are shorter overall than the WSM's - the Remmy short action won't feed the WSM's at full length!

The Mark V is clearly capable of H&H length, obviously.  And for the price of a used Mark V (I've seen decent ones as low as $450!) one could easily have a $1200 custom 7mmSTW on a Mark V action, cerakoted in a nice satin grey or black, and then scope it out and have a heck of a long range rig, with the barrel contour/maker of your choice, and a decent aftermarket stock like the Medalist from B&C.  Total cost would likely be something like $1800 with a good scope on it.  Get nuts about the glass or the stock, and you could spend $4k and up on the project, though.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

ballistic

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
I looked at my Mark V action (7mm Rem) , looked at specs in Nosler book for stw. Stw case length - 2.850 Rem length - 2.500, no way it will fit in magazine or eject loaded.

zonie

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 08:44:06 PM »
Since it won't work in your MKV  have you thought about the Vanguard I know the 300 weatherby vanguard won't have a problem.  Just a thought as far as I know Howa only has a short and long action.  I need to go down and look at a 7mm rem mag Vanguard and take some measurements if I can find one here locally.  It's really kind of a cool idea.      Ron 

ballistic

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »
Hey Ron: that sounds like a good idea if you have a 7mm vanguard available to check over, I dont have access to one. I heard a Remington would work, do you have any idea about the bolt face?  May have to change the name of this thread to Project STW ha... A vanguard would be a pretty cool idea, a 26" barrel would be nice.

zonie

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
I don't have one here to look at I will have to find one at a  store and measure.  The bolt face is exactly the same at .532 .  Even if yoy were to convert a 300 wby the bolt face is only .001 difference so thats not a problem.  Worst case you could find a good used 300 wby Vanguard for around 300 to 350 and re barrel with a 26 "  or longer,  and rechamber.   I would imagine a 28 " bbl would really get that thing smoking.   Ron 

headhunter130

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
Love it, my favorite cartridge.  Fast and flat.  I have killed a ton of deer with one.
Just watch the type of bullet, my experience is that a Nosler ballistic tip, a remington core loct, etc. will blow holes and cause tremendous met damage.
I prefer an accubond.