Spike Camp

Colorado Mulies

ballistic

Colorado Mulies
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »
I'm starting my research for a Colorado muley hunt in 2012. I have some relatives in Colorado and have been givin an open invitation to come hunt. Anyone have any information, experience, or advice. I'm thinking the hunting area would be unit/region 62. Wondering if its a quality deer area, is it a draw unit or otc? I've been snooping on the Colorado wildlife web site, kinda confusing and time consuming, probably gonna end up making some phone calls. It's always a pain learning a new state.

Re: Colorado Mulies
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
Unit 62 should be good for mule deer. Those tags are on a draw and your application needs to be in by April 5th. If you have no points good luck getting a license, it's a 50/50 chance. I hunt unit 86. Nonresident tags are $331, plus a $10 Habitat fee and a $3 processing fee. If you are unsuccessful in the draw they will refund only the $331. Your best bet would be to buy a bull elk tag over the counter $554. Here's the way I'd do it; apply for the mule deer tag and if you don't get it go ahead and buy the over the counter bull elk license. You will also have to have completed a hunter's safety course before you can buy a license. They honor all states safety cards. I'll be out there Oct 22-30 (second season). Good luck.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

ballistic

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, I think I'm gonna just play the the point system, I dont have any now thats why I wanna get planning. I guess its the 2013 season we want to go down there. Gonna just wait till I draw a mulie tag to hunt in Colorado, they're kinda my passion. Good luck to you godscountry, hope you get a nice one.

ffree

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:32 PM »
Was just looking at the draw odds for unit 62.  You have a 36% chance with 1 point in the 2nd rifle hunt. you have a 69% with 2 points in the 3rd rifle. and your going to need 9 points for the 4th rifle. The 4th being the closest to the rut . It also has a kill rate of 85%. The first 2 hunts are right about 50%. Good luck

ffree

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »
Wyoming is another state you should be getting bonus points. For $120 you can buy an Antelope, Deer, and Elk bonus point for the year. A couple of years of that and your hunting something every year in Wyoming.

ballistic

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:34:12 PM »
ffree: My bf and I actually have been buying points in Wyoming, he just drew his bull tag the other day. His dad lives near Casper. Would like to make a trip to Colorado for muledeer, was looking at there website a little while ago and learned ya have to apply for the tag to get the point. I dont know if thats in the budget this yr, working on to many other places.

NMARKANITE: Do you need points to purchase a landowner tag, do you have to apply for that tag? I have no problems in putting in for points and waiting, gives ya something to plan for and look forward to. A guy I work with has like 15 pts. for a draw elk tag in Colorado, not sure excactly where, he figures a couple more before he'll get drawn.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
Hey Troy
did you ever apply for this tag? I have family in longmont and have been going to do the same thing forever I had to take A hunter safty class last year just so I could apply. I will post the Buck my nephew took out there for his 1st Buck just A Monster.I am looking for some advice on how the application process works.
Mark

ballistic

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Mark, were planning on hunting antelope in Wyoming next fall, then in a year or two we'll go muledeer hunting down there. I still want to get to Colorado in the next couple yrs. I wanna see that buck, which state is longmont in, Colo. or Wyo. ? I suppose I could just look at a map  ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:47:54 PM »
its in Colorado just south of Denver My brother in law is the pastor of A large church there and gets some pretty nice perks from some of the members. His son shot the A monster Mulie on some private land. But 2 years ago his father died of A heart attack while he was deer hunting with him. And he said he couldnt ever deer hunt again after that. So I dont even want to ask him about the ropes out there. But I still have an open door to come out and stay there while hunting.But I dont have A clue where to apply in that area I will have to pick my nephews Brain A little. on what areas are close by maybe even talk him into doing some scouting for me. Where in wyoming are you guys hunting my trip was to the statterd ranch in north east WY. I did A combo for antelope and mule deer goats were plentafull and we were taged out in A half hour. But due to A lost transmission in Iowa and A rent A car had to cut the hunt short for mulies.
Mark

ballistic

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 07:31:14 AM »
Thats to bad Mark, so it was your brother inlaw that passed away ? That sort of thing happened to a friend of mine out elk hunting in Montana, it wasnt his dad, but someone they were hunting with. I would think the outdoors should be some good therapy and healing. I wonder if his father would have wanted him to quite hunting ?? Or was it the pastors father ?

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 10:44:29 AM »
Hi Troy
My brother in law is the Pastor and it was his dad who died while hunting with him. And my sister said its A sore subject with him. So im just giving him time to heal. But your right His dad raised him to be an Outdoorsman He would want him to keep hunting for sure.
Mark

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »
New book says no 4th rifle in 62 this year.
svenska50@hotmail.com
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ballistic

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 09:14:33 PM »
Do they have declining deer numbers down there to ?