Spike Camp

Mountain Lion hunting

Mountain Lion hunting
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
I got invited to go mountain lion hunting with hounds. I was wondering what is good caliber to use on those cats, we will be shooting them out of trees, Thank you

Bronson
Weatherby Mark V + animal = Food on your plate

Re: Mountain Lion hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
Hey Bronson.Never done it,but it sounds like fun.You are very fortunate.I suppose bigger would always be better, although I don't think they would be too hard to kill.I am sure others have done it and can tell you.Have you gone on your hog hunt yet?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

curthopson

• Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
Greetings;
I have hunted lions with hounds twice as well as bears twice in the same fashion. It is a very unique experience. All of your shots will be from 10-20 yards, and the main concern is not ruining the hide for the mount. I always feel overgunned if I pack a rifle, so I have two favorite weapons. I like to use a bow, or I have a Thompson Contender in 357 Max magnum that is perfect. You want something that is lethal, because a huge safety hazard ensues if you just wound the lion.  Most anything you pull out of the safe is adequate at that range, just make sure you can deliver the bullet accurately. Also of consideration is a weapon that you can carry easily, because most lion hunting is scrambling through rough country and often snow chasing dogs and well-conditioned guides. Sometimes you are on mules or snowmachines, but often a fair amount of distance is covered on foot. Hence my predilection for the pistol holstered under one arm.  Sorry for the rambling.  Best of luck, and please post pictures.  Best regards...Curt
Life is tough.  It's tougher if you're stupid.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:07:27 PM »
Bronson:  I have one aquaintence,  and two friends that chase mtn lions with dogs, and they all carry pistols.  Mtn lions 357 mag or larger,  and black bears usually a 44 mag.  This type of hunt is for guy's in really good shape. Normally my friends use some type of double or single action in a shoulder holster, but sometimes a belt holster.  

None of my friends will shoot female mtn lions, female bears it depends. These guy's are tending the dogs so they need  not worry about carrying a slinged rifle and need their hands free.  The guy's hunting shot's are normally very close and sometimes fast so you don't need super high powered scopes that loose them in the scope at close ranges.  A good little saddle ring winchester in 30-30 is totally fine as are low powered scopes on  bolts or semi-auto's.  Somethng lite that you can carry on the run because that's what you are most likely going to be doing.

Cats will  normally wind and tree faster than a bear which can run you several hills before you can get to them, and that doesn't mean either  they will stay in a tree till you get there. They come out of a tree it can be a fur ball and dogs can get killed or  tore up pretty fast.

Most dogs here are either dry ground or wet ground i.e. lite snow which is far easier for the dogs to keep on the scent.  There isn't a lot of dry ground dogs in my area.  The southern part of the state is almost always dry ground and far more lions with better trained dogs. The northern part where I live my friends do this for fun and have jobs so they don't get to train their dogs as some other guy's do,  not that they are bad at what they do it's far easier for them to find,  get on a scent and track them in lite snow. I have one lion that roams our area and snaggs an ocassional fido, and no one so far has been able to get on the scent fast enough,  plus I think he's one smart cat.

Unless it's all you have forget about taking your super fancy prized rifle, and stick with something you can hit at very close ranges. 44 mag rifle, 30-30, etc. None of the guy's I know will let you take long range shots because they want to verify sex, size, and they will pull the dogs off and let them go and go find another shootable animal to shoot.  The reason guy's down here won't shoot female lions is they are breeders and they want the resource to be there for many years, even sow bears unless it's a really big one they let go.  Every area is different that's how it's done where I live.   Ron

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:17:05 AM »
Bigbronz hunting lions and bears with hounds is one of my dreams and something i hope to be able to do one day,i love hounds since i got a beagle for my 10th birthday and nothing compares to hounds in full voice a gsp voicing or bailing comes close but not the same,i used to hunt sambar in hound crew and loved it but for some reasons the crews are worse than a room full of women so i told them to stick it and ran my two gsp's i had at the time,i was always going to form my own pack but didnt have time when i worked and now cant afford it,for some reason plott hounds appeal to me maybe because they're part of the gsp genetics and were crossed back in before plott took them to the us,as far as i know there are no plotts in aus but cant use them on sambar because not on the list but i'd be happy running them on foxes cats and goats and maybe sneak in some deer on private property,sorry bit of topic anyway i'd use something that will make sure they're dead when they hit the ground a shotgun with 20" slug barrel would be handy and any decent taxidermist can sew a 70 cal hole,make sure we get details and photo's i'm sure it will be a great hunt
                                                               Nik

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »
.30-30 is the ultimate cat cartridge!

IMO, when up close/out of trees is going to be the case, big and slow is what I'd want.

so also a .308 would work.

chasing dogs is no picnic, it's a workout, so lighter/handier is ideal instead of the big magnum.

can always use a pistol too, .44mag?

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »
Bronson

The only thing that I can say is that  I am jealous. Have a great time hunting the big cat.

Brett

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 06:53:29 AM »
Bronson:

I used to hunt lions here in western colorado. I can tell you what we found effective and why. I shot both of the lions I killed with a .222 Rem in a model 600. It was short, light and and very accurate. After a while I started carrying a Rugar blackhawk in 30 carbine. Two friends of mine used the blackhawk to kill there lions. It is fast for a revolver and accurate.  It does not take alot to kill a mtn. lion as long as it is well placed in the heart lung area. Miss that and you are in for a long day maybe night. Two guys I used to hunt lions with carried 218 bee and 218 mashburn bee pistols. One was a Taurus the other a custom super blackhawk. They were very good lion with dogs revolvers. The main thing to consider is ease of carry and how well you shoot the gun. Have a good hunt, the hounds are fun to listen to and chase.

Brett
Brett Long

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
"After eating a bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” - Will Rogers

I hope that your lion is just like the one above so that your Weathrby can do the talking.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:06:48 AM by Marishka »