Spike Camp

Coyote hunting tips?

Coyote hunting tips?
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »
 Hello everyone Im kinda new to weatherbynation. I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for coyote hunting? I also just started in this venture as well. I have heard a couple howl but cant seem to get them to come in.
       Thanks

Re: Coyote hunting tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:29:59 PM »
Jtomlinson:I am sure not an expert.There are some very good varmint hunters here that I am sure can help you out.I think you have to change up the calls to find what they will come in to.I don't know if you are using an electronic caller,but distress calls seem to work best here cottontail,fawn, kitten distress ,bird calls like the woodpecker,bluejay, red bird.To  coax one on in,squeaky calls,field mouse.Different sounds that might not be common in your area might be just the ticket.Everyone uses the rabbits calls and I think they may get call shy to them if they have heard them enough.I play with my caller in the yard(just listening to the different sounds) and my dog just lays there and pays no attention to most,but the kitten distress always gets him up and moving.That was how we started using it.A yote is close enough to a dog we figured.Always watch the wind and be looking
forthem to try to circle and come in down wind.Good luck,it is very discouraging when you can't get anything to come in.I know that firsthand.
We actually went out tonight( that is why I am up so late) for a hunt in very windy conditions and used and extra speaker to get some volume.We went through about 4 different sounds then switched to the kitten and then had one come in from the wood line across an open field  about 400 yds away.It was my buddy's turn to shoot and when the yote looked like it was trying to circle and get behind us , he decided to take the shot, but missed.Did one of the other calls already have him coming our way,I am not sure.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:50:10 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »
Full camo if you can.  Don't smoke or any movement except your eyes.  Watch the wind . No shiny objects,  Change calls,  put your back into a bush or tree,  use a teaser like a turkey feather, small piece of fur on a piece of wire staked in the ground  in front of you that will blow in the wind it sometimes works.  Scout and look for good areas.  Close in town is not a bad thing especially for yote's snatching the neighbors cats. Right at daylight or early evening is usually a good time.   Try calling different animals foxes, bobcats, etc.  Don't sit there for 30 minutes unless you are calling cat's,  move to a different location .  If one hangs up out aways and suddenly stops  shoot now you are busted.  They will circle keep your ears open I can't remember how many times one has came from behind and I stood up to see him at warp nine going the other direction.  If you are calling in Lion country call with two people back to back,  bears you will usually hear.  Be sneaky , don't walk out in the middle of a meadow all noisy and expect one to come in.  Look for any ravines or little canyons they know the terrain and will follow them and pop up pretty close to the call.  Use a shot gun in heavy cover.   Don't call constantly,  their sense of sound direction is within a couple degrees.  It can be really windy in our area depending on how the wind is I will normaly start calling very low and build volume then stop for awhile. I prefer hand calls but do use electronics it's about 50/50.  If I can't get one to come in within 10 minutes I move maybe 1/2 mile or a little farther.  Don't park the truck  100 yds away, walk in 1/4 mile or so depending on vegetation. If you can get on a hillside up a little higher is a good thing.  Same thing watching canyons.   Don't get discouraged it takes a little practice, and they don't aways come in every day.    Ron

ffree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »
I have to agree with about everything Zonie says. When you start calling don't start calling at max volume, start low and give it a chance. You start super loud and you can scare them out of the area. Also if they hang up and don't want to come shoot if its a reasonable shot, to far, you shoot and miss he will probably never come to a call like that again. You said you have heard them howling, could mean several things, one of them is guess who is here. You need to be super quite  leaving your truck ,car, whatever, and all the way to where your stand is. If there are 2 to 3 of you hunting, make sure one of them has a shotgun, I like to shoot BBs. I have killed more coyotes with a shotgun then with a rifle. Other then that, time spent trying is not wasted even if you don't see a coyote. I keep a log of every stand I make. I record, temp, time of day time, of year, what call worked or didn't, and what areas produce and those that didn't. Pretty soon you can see patterns start to develope.
Frank W. Free

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
Ffree is right don't shoot if you can't make the shot.  My buddy uses a Savage 24 over under 12 ga / 223.  He has several in various calibers.  Instead of carrying two guns which is a pain in the neck, and know a couple guys that do this,  they are more into coyote calling contests.  One of the best things you can do is find a friend who's into calling and have him show you the ropes so to say, and go from there. 

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:49:38 PM »
Ffree:Will you share your journal with us?Best calls,times,conditions,this could help a lot of us learn how to varmint call better.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

ffree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:50 AM »
Roger I don't want to sit here and give away a lot of areas I hunt because I will want to hunt them again, but here is one that i found in 2005 and its still good now. Zonie probably has a pretty good idea of where I was hunting, he used to live in the area.

Sept 6th 2005¬  12:30PM
Scouting for a new quail hunt spot out off Alamo Road crossing.¬  I decided to check an area I have seen a lot of coyotes crossing in the middle of the day on my way back home.
Location: Pilot Station, turn off about 1/2 mile on 95 from Pilot Station on I 40.
Weather:Hot 110+¬  Wind :Still¬  Sky: Clear¬  Gun .223Rem,¬  ¬ Call: Weems
Made a stand in front of a Palo Verde tree, had no Camo on. I called about 15 seconds and saw coyote on a dead run coming toward me and he stopped about 30 yard trying to locate where call was coming from. Dead coyote.

That spot still produces today, but must becareful because of contruction going on in the area. Several things I learned in this area,
1. Make sure you have a round in the chamber. I didn't have one in the gun yet and I was lucky because coyote had to cross a wash and I was out of sight for a few seconds. Got a round in the gun.
2. If your going out scouting for anything, have camo with you in case you decide to try an area.
3. This seems to me to be an area used by coyotes during the midday, and I think the 2 draws are the Pilot Station and several miles down the road is a small town of Havasu Heights. I looked around the Pilot station and there is standing water, and food that people toss and don't get get into the trash. Havasu Heights, again people are the draw here their trash and their pets are a food source, if not the pet, the pet food. Like I said in this area I have seen more coyotes during the day then anywhere else around here. Don't spend more that about 10 minutes on a stand here. I have and it hasn't paid off, move about a 1/4 mile find another spot. This area never seems to fail in producing some shooting. Anytime you go somewhere and see sign of coyotes or fox make a note in the¬  journal, mine is a 3X5 Mead that fits in a shirt pocket. You may go bird hunting one day and see 2 or 3 scat piles from coyotes, write it down. In the off season do yourself a favor and kill a few coyotes that are killing the birds you hunt. One other thing and Zonie brought this up, this area is a place where Desert Big Horn Sheep come to have their lambs, and there are also desert Mule deer here, so that will usually mean predators that can take these animals, though I have not seen any I believe there has to be lions around, we even had a bear that was hold up in the area of the boat ramp. so watch you back.¬  I hope this gives you an idea of what I put in a note book.
Frank W. Free

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:50:07 AM »
Frank :  That's pretty cool, about the only time I keep a log is elk scouting with a gps, and same thing use a little notepad and write down lat's and long's, mainly because if I don't write it down I have been known to delete things on the gps. 

There are some pretty big desert mulies down there.  I absolutely agree with bringing camo.   The desert is so hot,  and every now and then pretty warm up here also,  just not that oh my it's an oven out type heat.   I use to be able to  handle 110 + no problems when I lived there, not acclimated anymore.    In this hot weather I have an old set of leafy wear the netted kind that I can slip over a pair of shorts and tee shirt pretty quickly.  Fall, winter, and spring up here half the time I have a camo jacket on anyway.  My son is looking for an older  smaller boat  18 to 22 ft  jet or in-out   V-8 (no outboards)  bow rider preferably for cheap, mostly for Roosevelt,  maybe once or twice a year for Havasu.  If that happens I will be down there more and try and look you up.   Ron

ffree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 09:02:24 AM »
You know it never crossed my mind to use a GPS. I have a Garmin hand held and I could just note the long and lats. ::) I try to stay out of that super hot stuff because of snakes. I am looking for shade and so are they. Did you hear about the bear in town last year. Some guy fishing saw the bear swimming in the lake. He called the Park Rangers I think it was and they asked him how much he had to drink that day. So he hung up on them and called game and fish and they sent someone out in time to see the bear go up into the brush by Windsor  Launch Ramp. They didn't want to scare the bear and have it get into a bunch of people so they set a trap. The next day no bear in the trap and no bear in the brush. He just disappeared.
Frank W. Free

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »
Frank:  I did actually hear of the Bear.  Windsor is normally where we launched.  It's way bigger today than it use to be.  There was wayward bull elk in Topoc a few years ago they tried to save I think it died.  Most likely came down from the Hualapis ?  Seen a few Beavers, quite a few Big Horn, Ringtail's, and a few snakes I'm not quite sure what they were.  I have been using GPS's for years mainly when I was in the FD  which was too darn cheap to go with new technology at the time so I bought my own.  My first one was a Garmin 38 which got stolen from the truck sitting in front of the house in Havasu, and went with a Garmin 12 which I still use. Not as fancy as the new ones , but still works fine without all the   extras I don't need.  One other thing I really like with the advent of cell phones is, and this has happened several times.  A friend gets an elk down and calls for help getting them out, or where are you camped at ?  Tracking an animal is another good use when you loose the blood and get a general direction of which way he's going and return to your starting point to start over if you loose the track.    This whole country is so big as with Havasu, turn right at the second tree off the chimney's, like that tells me something a thousand trees out there . Do you have your GPS well yes,  just give me the coord and I will be there as soon as I can.   It has saved my bacon a couple time when I got to driving around in the cedars and couldn't find which road I was on at night.

You are not going to believe what happened last year during dove hunting up here, and there isn't a whole lot of doves to begin with.  My buddy a local detective his son and me were out by the local dump and this guy came flying down the road , slammed on the brakes,  jumped out and yanked his shirt off.  I think I just got bit by a rattlesnake in the back.  We looked him over and couldn't find any bite marks and he settled down. Said he was sitting back against a bush and heard a rattle and got poked by most likely a branch, killied the snake and threw it in the bed and hauled butt until saw us.  I probably would have done the same thing it was just weird how it happened.   Ron

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
Frank :  An add on with GPS's especially up here.  When I get home after scouting I will get on Bing maps on the computer  match the lat's and long's, pan out, and look for terrain, water holes, little creeks,  two track roads, etc,  that I didn't see when in the field.  It really has helped me finding stuff I would normally pass by.   Ron

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips and ideas. Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner my phone has been out for a few days. I will try these tips and see what happens. Again thanks for the help.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
downwind calling is king.
i usually try to keep my scent plume blowing close to were i hope to shoot.
its like this... lay a clock at your feet with the 12 at your toes
imagine if the wind is at your back blowing from 12 oclock to 6 oclock, your job is to spot and shoot the yote or wolf when it comes in before it hits the scent plume at the 1 oclock to 5 oclock or the 7 to 11 oclock. ive never used a decoy feather or electronic calls but im sure they work to detract attn from you.
ive called cougars, wolves,lynx and hoards of yotes, some as little as 15 seconds, if nothing has come in 5 minutes...you missed it.
alberta this 2010 had three feet of snow and -25*C (-13*F), often 3 to 5 would show up.
calling with the wind in your face is just plain backwards...your forcing dogs to rely on there eyes and ears and not there nose.
thats why they 'hold up'
you can fool the eyes and ears but never the nose.
anyone who says that they busted from behind when they stand up, need to try this.
some days i hit a¬  hundred percent on call-ins, it warms up the 17hmr.
this works with rattlin whitetails too..its just more natural
oh ya... keep an eyes out for scavenger type birds, they serve as aerial recon for predators.
if you get a chance come to alberta and hunt wolves, got loads of them
Quality over Quantity.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:34 PM »
Out here where I live the wind is predominately from the SW and it howls in Jan thru Mar into April and starts slacking we also get a lot of swirling winds especially up higher around the smaller mtns.  When there is very little wind warm air rises, and tends to funnel up canyons, later in the day it reverses down canyon.  I think it really depends on the area you are hunting , and how open it is.  A lot of times we may sit up on a hill that you can see for a mile or so and watch them come in like a freight train.  In our area, and this  can help in a lot of places is knowing when Deer and especially  where I live Antelope drop their fawns, the Coyote depredation on Antelope here is just terrible.  Whatever game or smaller farm animals is in you area , and use these type of calls.   We get busted quite a lot by squirrels.  These coyotes over here get pretty hammered thru out the year so unless they are a pup they get pretty wise real quickly.   Most of my friends have better luck in the cedars using shotguns than going up higher in elevation in the pines or spruce.  I have called in Mtn Lions and Bear and for the most part the Lions will not come in too close, if you can get them at least here within 50 yds that's pretty good.  If you ever find a fresh deer kill covered by pine needles or  fresh cat scratch that's the place,  that Lion won't be too far away.  Makes you wonder just how many times they been watching you.   Ron

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
If i could find they're den would it be good to hunt around it?