Spike Camp

Rifle Guy New to Archery

Rifle Guy New to Archery
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
Hey just got on the board here because I just bought my first Weatherby and had to just tell somebody, then I noticed an archery section.
Thing is I also just bought a brand spanking new compound bow right form the PSE factory here in town (guess who had a little extra from taxes). It's a 60lb turned down to 50lb Browning Mirage (PSE makes, or made I guess, it was a smokin deal) and I would like to know anything anybody wants to tell a long time rifle hunter about archery and bowhunting. Now I live in southern Arizona and I am fully aware of the difficulty I am looking at for bagging animals in this area with a bow, but I am always looking for more experience related info.

Thankyou in advance, Alex

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Rifle Guy New to Archery
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
The primary thing you're going to have to do is learn to "think" differently about stand selection.  That was the biggest change for me when I started bowhunting - and I am also self-taught.  I started out hunting off field edges, and along many of the areas I'd hunt with a rifle.  But, I saw a bunch of deer I couldn't shoot because they were too far away.  So, I started hunting farther back in the woods, and had to learn more about deer behavior and travel patterns.  And I had to get up a lot earlier.  I bet I'm more than an hour earlier getting into the woods to bowhunt than I am to rifle hunt, just because I can't bounce into the stand and get set up as quickly due to the distance and the setup time.

Figuring out bedding areas and hunting the trails off of them is a very productive strategy, by the way.  Not too close, but close enough.

Through all of the learning, I became a better hunter overall, with a better understanding of my quarry.  Once you figure out how deer move, where, and why, then you can work the wind, the terrain, and the clock to score on them.  And remember, there's still a good bit of luck to getting a deer with a bow, regardless of how much skill you have.  It's worth all the work, though, to get the gratification of being right there, with them, when you finally get a shot.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »
Dubyam, thankyou for the tips, much appreciated.
I got a liitle bit of a head start on some of it, since I was a kid my dad would send me to slowly work canyon bottoms while he glassed to scout and such, and here it's so dry that most patterns are based on water availibility. I figured a natural ground blind made a month or so before the season on one of these trails would be my best bet, get in there an hour before sunrise, and just hope to see antlers from there.....any earlier can be a little, lets say interesting, there are Mtn Lions, Black Bear and the odd border crosser from mexico and even the possibility of rattlesnakes when it's warm, and that little bit of light I like to have to watch my back, mostly so I can avoid the border crossers. most are just people trying to get away from the craziness in mexico, but it's possible to run into drug types and I dont wanna talk to them

First thing first though, I gotta get dialed in with the bow, and I got one month free time at the factory range to get started on. Then i need to set up a place I can practice in the back yard, and a longer distance range at the ranch. One thing I would like to know is arrow types....lots out there but whats what? Range arrows, hunting arrows, foreward weight. Shouldnt I use one type for consistancy?

Thank you one again

Alex

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »
I think you're on the money with a ground blind, along a water source.  Look for places where the terrain or other features funnel the deer along one route, and set up there.  If you can get up above the trail, but still within 25-30yds, that's even better, as you'll have more time to see them coming and get drawn.  But a ground blind will work.

I'm the wrong guy to ask about arrows.  I'm still using what my buddies refer to as culvert pipes - 2314 Easton XX75 Aluminum arrows.  Everybody I know has gone to carbon, but I'm happy with the performance of the aluminum, and I like the extra mass.

If I were starting out right now, I'd worry less about the arrows (just get the bowshop to set you up with a good, basic set of arrows that are the right length/stiffness for your bow, and use a good fixed blade broadhead when hunting.  I like 100gr heads, but other folks like 125's.  I don't like mechanicals just because I like simple.  Oh, and get some field points to practice with.  Beyond that, just shoot a bunch, use a release, and try to aim small, miss small.

If you're competent out to 35-40yds on the range, you're probably good to 30yds in hunting conditions.

Enjoy!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
Alex:I am a big fan of the cigar ultralite  aluminum arrows.Thunderhead 125 broad heads ,been around forever but still going strong.Although my nephew really likes the Rage mechanical broad heads .I can't argue with his success and results.A good mechanical release shooter hunter will always out shoot a finger release guy,just the way it is.Practice out to 50 yds and beyond and then the 20-30 will feel like Childs play.Practice sitting,standing,kneeling,through limbs etc to get really good and confident.Post some Picts of your bow kills once season starts.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »
Alex :  I have an 80 yd range set up at the house and use Beman carbon ICS Hunter # 500 ,  Hoyt cam and 1/2  set @ 60 # .  Haven't killed anything with it yet mostly for my enjoyment out in the yard.   I'm a late bloomer to archery.  I'm probably not qualified to comment other than  most of my friends are heavy duty bow hunters, and everyone of them seem to like a specific bow from Hoyt, Pse, Mathews, Martin, Bowtech.  They mostly hunt elk with an ocassional deer or Javalina. Only one of them use mechanicals everyone else uses 100 gr to 125 gr whatever fixed blade they can get to shoot, mostly 100's.    The White Mtn Apache here will not allow any mechanicals most of the guys are hunting elk, no deer hunting allowed for non tribal members.   I have shot the Rage and they shoot very well, but I found they deployed in the quiver so I gave them to a friend. Some Guy's like the G5's,  I use even for target shooting Magnus stingers in the off chance I ever get drawn for archery elk,  and my son uses Steel force.   Almost everyone here likes the cut on contact styles, but a couple friends have had very good luck with Slick tricks and Thunderheads.  I agree you don't see a lot of tree stands here although it's starting to get more popular next to water tanks if you can find a big enough tree. On the rim you will see old ground blinds a lot at these tanks, and guy's use them every year for turkey and elk.  One of these day I may get lucky and get drawn for Archery elk instead of tearing up the hay bales in the yard.   Ron

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »
Well this is something i know more about, I just got out of archery, Only because my archery season is going to be now tied of with my little girls birthday. a new baby being born in oct then comes holloween. so I sold my setup. Archery is great and I loved it, I hunted from a tree stand, along with gun season as well. I know there are alot of broadheads out there, but I liked to use blood runner, they did the job well for me/. If I can give you any advice at all. I would say practice shooting your bow sitting down, You will notice your pull will seem harder, and if your shooting from a ground blind or even a tree stand, your going to be taking shoots while sitting on your ass, Standing up my bow was set at 65lb pull, but when I started shooting sitting down via tree stand or ground blind I had to take it down to about 60lb pull. You have plenty time to practice for bow season, just remember to always follow through with your shots. In florida I had 1 pin set on my compound bow and it was sighted in at 30 yards. I know from there I was good for 40 yards in, and if I aimed a click or to higher I could make a 45 yards shoot, but Im about clean kills so I never went over 35 yards
Rick

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »
wow guys, thanx for al the info.

hebert2580....CONGRTAZ!!!!! ;D ;D Kids are whats it's all about. I am a single dad and I have two, a son and daugter, 9 & 7. Took them on their first deer hunt last october. Didnt bag anything but it's a done deal, this is a tradition. I know it's hard to get the time to hunt, last year was my first year really figuring out how to find time to hunt being single, but man, thats a future hunting buddy, boy or girl. Mine are old enough to where they will just be coming along more and more.......trust me, you may give up whatever hunting you love for a little while, a few years....but it will call you back.

Seems a few guys like the aluminum, the guys at the PSE shop basically steered me away.....they had a dozen of them somebody left there and they gave me six. These will be just for practice on form and such, the bow has not been tuned at all yet. I just bought the bow new, canibalized some parts off another older bow i cant use, bought the parts needed, a release and an armguard. got like 200 bucks into the whole thing so far. (guys, anybody in the Tucson area that wants a bow, new Browning Mirage made by PSE 60#-50#, 26"-30"draw, $150, I couldnt say no) Just bolted the parts on and shot 24 shots at 20 yard indoor range. Something around 7-12" groups 18-24" straight high from center. The rear peep sight is too high for me, so i'll have to move it down. not sure if i should try to move it myself or have the shop do it. The rest is maxed out to one side, doenst seem like thats right. Has wood grips without any sealant or finish, gotta put something on those.

Again, thanx for the info everybody. As far as pics of kills, well first some bales, then some practice......and some more practice.....practice sitting, standing...   i will also start taking pics of my kills, most of it is small game, so far all by way of firearms. never bagged any real braggable animals although there was this cinnimon teal I so wish I would have taken pics of, awsome looking bird. To be honest, after the kill the next thing I think is something like; soy sauce, garlic, onion, crushed red pepper, bell pepper......

Ron, the gobblers....there are more birds down here than I had thought untill about three years ago when i really started see'n more and more. Currently I know of 4 separate flocks (ok, what is the term for a group of gobblers?), and that actually might be 5. This last October, two separate flocks were seen on the ranch, one I sat and watched for like an hour at 10-20 yards, 23 birds counted including at least one big tom. They just bedded down behind the hay shed to rest for a while. They are still there, somebody on the ranch sees em about 2 or 3 times a month. I wanna try to get my boy a tag (my girl just isnt old enough), I have my eye on a 20g youth shotgun for the kids. As far as hard tags to get, I think you have it hard living up there with the elk and have to hope for that tag......

Gnight all, Alex

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
Alex :  As much as I hate to say this I would take a Goulds Turkey anyday over an elk.  We have hunted elk all our lives.   There are 38 tags in the States 36 in AZ and 2 in NM that's it, and the chances of getting a tag are like hitting the lotto. The only other option is to hunt Mexico.    I'm not sure what you call a flock of Gobblers I just call them a bunch of Tom's.    Elk tags we can get most anytime if we choose to do so,  if not in state, on the reservation or ranch tags in New Mexico.  Don't get me wrong I love to hunt elk, but given a chance for a Goulds I would be in jumping at the chance.   Ron 

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
My first piece of advice is practice, practice, practice. It can be easy to make mistakes shooting at an animal, it's not the same as shooting at a target. Im not sure what type of game you'll be hunting where you live, but you do become more intimate and learn alot more about the game. I used to draw on does or small bucks for draw practice and experience. Have patience, always be aware of the wind, and if conditions arent right dont push or disturb your hunting area. Good luck with your new venture. Troy
Troy

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:09 PM »
Browning Mirage made by PSE 60#-50#, 26"-30"draw, $150,

wow, that's really good...Do they have any more?

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12:50 PM »
Ron,
I hear ya on the goulds. Any of the once in a life-time hunts have a ceartain appeal. I think there is also like one tag for sonoran pronghorn down here, and there is the buffalo hunts up north, and the desert bighorn which is one of the few availible tags for that animal as I understand it. All would be a blast, if you get to fil your tag or not. I just get all pumped about elk becasue I have been in the forrest right in there with them, and have had some good elk steaks, and have never been able to hunt them. Mix that up with some memmories of the fog rolling back out of the forrest as the sun comes up and thats what I wanna do. By next year I should be able to start puttin in for the draw......

Troy, I plan to hunt an area with both coues and mule deer, our tag says any antlered deer, and there is always javelina tags, and there are black bears here too but my first thing is for sure practice. Gonna make it a father-kid thing, just picked up a PSE recurve for my boy today as his easter present, but without any prompting or any idea that that was his present, my girl asked for a bow when I tucked her in bed. She said it was going to be the first thing on her christmas list. My heart hit my toes. I think the kids got some kind of bow feaver at the bow shop...they saw men shooting, they saw women shooting, and they saw boys and girls shooting. And they cheered with everybody else when they got to see some dude pull off a Robin Hood. So practice it is, or my kids will end up showing me up!!! Wouldnt be suprised if they showed me up anyway.

jfletcher3, last i was there they still had like 10 or 15. Browning is out of the bow biz, so all brownig is on sale, the bare bow for 150, and there was some decked out bows too for like 300. This is where I started, bare bow 150, canibalized sights and stabalizer bar off another bow, arrow rest was 22 bucks, browning quivers are 10, both 2 pice and one pice are there. I had another quiver to use, so the bow set up was like 175 plus tax. Arm guard 5, basic release for new guy 25, topped off with mossy oak brownig archery hat for 5. Now I need something cheap to shoot at in the yard so the deer dont point and laugh at me by the time the season gets here. Oh, one month free range time with any new bow, so thats basically bow school for me for one month.

Alex

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 01:04:10 AM »
Alex:  Big Horn the Desert or Rocky Mtn  for some reason doesn't appeal to me. I go down every now and then when elk hunting and watch the Rocky's sitting on a perch I know.    Real cliffy where they are hanging out.  Next year I will give you some pointers on where to go or  If schedules allow  me or my son  will take you.  He's way better than I am anyway.      Ron

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:09:17 AM »
Ron, that sounds great. Hey, if you ever do get that Goulds tag, I can help ya out, at least in units 34a & 35b. I know 35a as well, but not as well and the Turkey there have places to hide where you cant hunt.
For me, any of those rare hunts have a certain appeal, at least just to have had the experience, but it's not a goal of mine or anything. Right now, simply Elk is my dream hunt, so the offer is very much appreciated!!!!!

Alex