Spike Camp

YOUR most desired game to hunt in Africa

DHE

YOUR most desired game to hunt in Africa
« on: December 22, 2007, 10:25:36 AM »
Hello Sportsmen and Sportswomen;

Please think about it for a moment and share with us the game species in Africa that YOU care the most about hunting.

The list can be as long or as short as you wish.  I will begin with two categories (Dangerous Game and Plains Game).  I am also going to volunteer some game animals that I absolutely do not want to hunt (you can do this or not do this -- however you please).

Try to list them in the order you desire them.

Here's my list:

Dangerous Game:
(1) Cape Buffalo
(2) Lion
(3) Leopard

Plains Game:
(1) Gemsbok
(2) Impala
(3) Bushbuck
(4) Kudu

No desire to hunt:
(1) Elephant
(2) Giraffe
(3) Zebra
(4) Small predators or small antelope
(5) Exotic species (eg: Bongo) or semi-endangered species

All the rest fall into the catagory of "take them or leave them" to me.  Wouldn't really turn a good specimen down, but not a burning desire to hunt them like the above listed species I REALLY WANT.

That is my list, what's yours?   It would be interesting to know what the rest of you all want to hunt in Africa?

DHE

Re: YOUR most desired game to hunt in Africa
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:38:40 PM »
cape buff,wart hog,gemsbuck with that I would be in Heaven ;D

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 09:16:19 AM »
I'm booked on a plains game hunt in Namibia on the first of May.  Here's my list of animals I do and do not want to take.

Plains game:

1. gemsbok
2. kudu
3. zebra
4. warthog
5. springbuck
6. impala

Animals I have no desire to hunt:

1. giraffe
2. elephant
3. hippo

I'd love to go on a dangerous game hunt but the cost skyrockets on those animals. 
Any advice from others that have been there would be greatly appreciated.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »
I had a chance to go on my first African trip early in 2007, my list was as follows:
1  Kudu
2  Gemsbok
3  Waterbuck
4  Red Hartebeest

I was fortunate enough to get 3 or the 4 (just could not get a shot at the gemsbok), see the attached pictures.

I would probably add Impala to the list next time, as it is clearly one of the symbols of Africa.

Dangerous game goals would be:
1  Leopard
2  Buffalo
3  Lion

No interest:
Giraffe
I thought before I went that Zebra would be on the "no way" list also, but after seeing how wild and spooky they can be they seem like a real trophy.
TJH

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »
Thoitink,
Thanks for the reply and great pictures.  Looks like you had a very successful hunt.  What magnificent animals you got!!  Any thoughts on your rifle and what you think one should carry?  What part of Africa were you hunting?

thanks,

arrow

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:38:37 PM »
If I were to hunt Africa,I'd want to hunt Lion,Leopard,maybe Buffalo,but probably not.Also Gemsbuck,Kudu,Impala,no interest in Elephants at all,even though they are very dangerous,just no interest in shooting one,or Zebra either.If there was a season,I'd enjoy the hell out of shooting Hyienas,and Chimps,they just really enoy me...

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »
For plains game I wanted to bag gemsbok, kudu, springbok and red hartebeeste. I got those and went back four more times and took blue wildebeeste, warthog, waterbuck, eland, moutain zebra and Burchell's zebra. I enjoy hunting kudu and gemsbok and have shot a number of each of them.
For dangerous game I'd love to take elephant and cape buffalo. The cats don't interest me.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »
I hunted Africa in 2004 on a plains game safari.

The animals that I decided to take were:

Cape Eland
Blesbok
Impala
Black Wildebeest
Blue Wildebeest
Zebra

When I return, the wish list is:
Kudu
Red Lechwe
Nyala
Blue Duiker for a full body mount

I am convinced that Sport Hunting in essence is promotion of wildlife conservation; however, I would not take a:
Rhino
Elephant
Giraffe

One intereresting note:  I was able to draw out on a N.M. White Sands Missile Range Gemsbock(Oryx) hunt.  The trophy taken rivaled or exceeded anything I might have taken in  Africa.  The costs are very affordable if drawn for this once in a lifetime hunt with the New Mexico Game and Fish Department.  See Picture Below.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 04:03:45 AM »
I have a hunt scheduled with Jan Oelofse in July 2009.  Here's my list:

Plains Game:  Kudu, Gemsbok, Eland, Black Wildebeest, Zebra

Although I'm not hunting dangerous game on that trip, the Cape Buffalo is my only desired animal from that group.

I really have no desire to hunt Duiker, Bushbuck and the small reclusive game.
Jerry

************************************************************************************************************************************
All Weatherby, All the Time

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 06:55:33 AM »
I had the opportunity to hunt the waterberg mountains of South afrika in 04.  The animals that made the trip home with me were as follows; Kudu, Impala, two Blue Wildebeest, two Warthogs, Red hartebeest, and blesbok. Also shot two baboons up in the rocky tops of the mountains but was unable to recover them.  This was real hunting under extreme conditions.  Not the drive by safari shooting from a vehicle type of thing.  If and when you go, be sure to tell your P.H. exactly what type of hunt you are expecting and what your physical/shooting limitations are.  Animals high on my list for the future include. plains game; Gemsbok, Sable, Waterbuk, Bush Pig, Honey Badger, Eland, to name a few.  Dangerous game would include all of the big five; Lion, Leopard, Cape buffalo, Rhino, and Elephant.  With the exception being that I would rather make the Hippo number five and put off the Elephant for last.  When I was in S. Afrika the Hippos were in rut.  The roaring, the charges, the battling between the bulls was terrific, awsome, and amazing.  These big boys mean business.  And they are the most dangerous killers of men on the Continent.
outdoor John

James

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 08:35:31 AM »
I suppose every forum needs an unusual answer, so I'd like to provide one.

I will never have the chance to hunt far from my home in Oregon, but I have dreamed of visiting Africa for many years just to see all of the beautiful animals, but my dream has never included a big trophy to hang on the wall. I would like to hunt and fish for the most delicious game of the area. To me, taking one deer-sized animal and a few fish to eat, while camping in one of the most beautiful and exotic places in the world would be better than filling a stadium with trophies!!!
We cannot improve our government by electing people that hate our government...

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
Here's some pics from my 2005 hunt in Zimbabwe.
Sable

Southern Greater Kudu

Livingston(e) Eland

Nyala

And Waterbuck

Edit:  Can't figure out why the first couple of images are smaller than the rest, they are all the same size...
GSC/Ovis - Life Member
FNAWS - Life Member
AK FNAWS - Life Member
SCI - Life Member
SCI Alaska Chapter - Life Member

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 12:21:06 PM »
my list is alittle different - and has changed several time over the years of dreaming.

Dangerous Game (never changed)
1 Cape buffalo
2 Croc.

Plains game
1 Black wildebeest
2 Blue wildebeest
3 Warthog

An any mixture of the following animals of opportunity:
 Kudu
 Bushbuck
 Giraffe
 Zebra
 Duiker
 Steenbok
 Impala
 Springbok

it all depends where I actually hunt

I shot an Eland in Texas a few years ago for the meat and would never shoot one in Africa - They taste waaaaay too good and I want the meat for the freezer.  I'll go to Texas again for Eland.

Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 12:49:21 PM »
I agree with you Oregon Jim.  I too will never make it to Africa, but I can always dream!
Dangerous game
1. Leopard
2. Lion
3. Cape buffalo

Plains
1. Sable
2. Kudu
3. Eland
4. Impala
Keep showing the pictures gus they are fun to look at!  8)

Tim

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 06:57:12 AM »
 If I get a chance to hunt Africa again , I would like to take another Kudu. Then add a
Waterbuck, and for Dangerous game a Buffalo. 

Tim