Spike Camp

Timney Trigger for Vanguard

jwh

Timney Trigger for Vanguard
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:11:16 PM »
I have a Vanguard Varmint in .308. The trigger is about the only thing I dislike about the rifle. I have made no attempt to adjust it but from waht I have read it still leaves a lot to be desired. Has anyone tried the Timney trigger for the Vanguard? If so, would you reccomend it? Thanks in advance for your input. I have found the trigger for $84.99 and was wondering if anyone has found a better price.

jwh

Heath

Re: Timney Trigger for Vanguard
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 01:07:06 PM »
jwh,
I put a Timney on my .30-06 Vanguard Synthetic and replaced the composite stock with a pillar bedded wood stock. My factory target was right at 1-3/8" with cheap factory ammo and now my groups range from 5/8" to 3/4" with the same cheap 180gr Remington Corelokts at 100 yds. I think the Timney is worth the money if you are trying to squeeze the true potential out of these rifles.

The rifle is pictured in my profile to the right. Hope this helps.
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Kevin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:46:38 PM »
I changed mine also and I like it alot better than factory.

Gary

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
I changed to a Timney and love it. The lowest I could get the factory trigger was 4 pounds with a  lot of creep. I now have a lovely creep free 2 1/2 pound trigger. Mine was $84.95 . It was cheapest a Midway. Both the Timney site and Brownells want over $100 for theirs. It's a great trigger and easy to change.      Gary

jwh

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:42:10 AM »
Thank you to all for the replies.

I forgot to ask if you were able to get the three way saftey to work properly without reworking the stock.

jwh

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »
I own three Vanguards (.257, .270 & 300 WSM) and have replaced the factory triggers on all three with the Timney trigger. It's superb, and fully adjustable. Upgrades from a two-positon to a three-position safety. Easy to install. You just need to relieve a small spot on the stock internally with a dremel tool to allow for full forward travel of the safety lever. It's a simple and fairly obvious procedure, and will have no effect on the bedding/fit of the action to the stock. I've not even had to adjust the Timneys -- they came preset at precisely the amount of letoff I like for a big game rifle. All three of my Vanguards wear fiberguard stocks, so my experience is limited to Timney installation with those stocks.

Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 01:26:42 PM »
jwh if you are not completely satisfied with your Vanguard trigger you can return your rifle to us for adjustment at NC.   
The Vanguard trigger is actually a very good trigger when adjusted properly.  If you are interested please contact our service department for instructions on returning your rifle.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience and hope we can restore your confidence in the Vanguard trigger.  Many people have used the Timney trigger and are very happy with it as well.
Ed Weatherby
Nothing Shoots flatter, hits harder, or is more accurate!

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
To clarify my earlier post on this topic, I haven't checked out the newer triggers on the Vanguards. My experience was limited to the older triggers, which were, in my opinion, simply awful. In addition to replacing the factory triggers on all three rifles with Timney triggers, there's a reason all three of my Vanguards wear the same upgraded (Fiberguard) stocks, nearly identical high-end scopes, etc. Regardless of which rifle I grab for a particular hunt, the identical fit and feel of each gun makes it seem like I'm hunting with an old and cherished friend.

jwh

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
I would like to thank all of you for the additional information.

It is nice to see that the company is reading and replying to post in here. I will probably contact Weatherby as suggested by Ed and see how that pans out.

Thanks
jwh : :)

Dan

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 08:21:20 AM »
I replaced my factory trigger in my Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA Varmint with a Timney trigger.  Yes, your factory trigger can be adjusted, but if you are looking for another option, I recommend Timney.  They are light, crisp and you can install it yourself.  All three safety positions work and I didn't have to relieve any material.  Hope this helps.  Dan
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
- Gen George S. Patton Jr.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »
I have just bought a Vanguard synthetic in 243WIN and don't like the trigger. It moves back a little bit twice before the gun fires. I read that you can send it back to the factory to get it fixed but i live in Australia. What should i do??

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »
Given Ed Weatherby's posted comment above, I would contact Weatherby directly, regardless of where you live.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
I didn't purchase an aftermarket trigger, but instead had a gunsmith at the local Gander Mountain adjust it for me.  He lowered it to a crisp 3 lbs and got rid of the creep.  I heard the triggers are easy to adjust, but I opted to have a certified gunsmith do it for me.  The total cost came out to be about $70.   I can attest to the fact that the Vanguard triggers are very good triggers when adjusted properly as Mr. Weatherby suggested.  I should note that my Vanguard was a newer model purchased within the past two years. 
A Bad Day of Hunting is Better Than a Good Day at Work

-Dan-

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »
It takes 3 minutes and .35 cents to make the standard Vanguard trigger into one of the finest triggers you'll find.  It's a very simple change that can be easily reversed at any time.  I have an early model that had a horrible trigger, the worst of any rifle I've ever owned, it had about a 5 pound pull and what felt like a quarter inch of creep.  After I figured it out and made the change it's now the best of any of the 35 or so rifles I own, breaking cleanly at less than 1 pound and no noticeable creep.

Look at your trigger assembly for a few minutes you'll probably figure it out, it's pretty simple. 

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
I've have two Vanguards and both of them had creepy triggers.  Had a gunsmith adjust both of them down to 2.5 lbs with no creep.  Great triggers now.  Save your money and just have a good gunsmith work it over.  By the way, it takes a lot more than just adjusting the sear screw.  They have to be cleaned up.  Wish Weatherby would do this from the factory, but I suppose that is part of what keeps the price down.