Spike Camp

.257 ???

ballistic

.257 ???
« on: July 29, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »
 Ok I'm excited about my .257 and thinking about loads to try even though it'll be months before it's done. I was checking out Midway, the 100gr Nosler ballistic tips look reasonably priced to do alot of shooting with, anybody shooting them? I'll try 110 accubonds and 115 bergers, but for the price the 100 ballistic tips would be a fun round to play with and long range coyote practice. Since I use RL22 in my 7mm's I'll work up some loads with it and see how it groups. I'll have to start aquiring .257 bullets, brass, dies etc.
Ron, arent you trying 115 bergers? I'll be very interested to hear your results. Jims been having very good luck with the 110 accubonds as I recall, I believe with RL22.

wyldgene

Re: .257 ???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 09:29:06 PM »
...if you want to see what your rifle is actually capable of shooting I'd recommend starting w/ some cheap Sierra 117gr. SBT's. Every .25 I've owned liked 'em as much or better than anything else. 100 of 'em for the price of 50 NBT's, NAB, or VLD's, enough to do some load development, see what kind of seating depths, velocities, powders, etc., etc., it likes...

...you can spend a lot more on TTXX's, MRX's, GMX's, XX-X's, but you'ld be hard pressed to find something that killed big game any better than the 120gr. Sierra HPBT GameKings or Speer GrandSlams or DeepCurls, All tend to be accurate, have good expansion, & very good penetration...

...I wouldn't overlook the 75gr. Sierra HP's of Hornady V-Max, the 85gr. NBT's, 87gr, TNT's, or my current favorite the new 90gr. Sierra BlitzKings for varmints. I'd probably skip on the new 70gr. BlitzKings @ .257 Weatherby velocities  :o...

3 shot group/ .25 WSSM/90gr. Sierra BlitzKing/51.0gr. RL-17/ CCI 200/ 3710fps

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »
Troy:I tried some of the 100 BT and they shot ok in my gun but not great,I think I should have seated them out some more after more reading but I never went back and tried.One of the most economical that shot really well were the Sierra 100  Matchking hpbt at around $27/100.They should do a number on coyotes. No experiences with Bergers or Accubonds.Barnes for my real hunting loads.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:33:06 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Oregon Jim

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
I have been shooting groups better than I ever imagined possible through my WNMR using the 110 grain Accubond bullets, Federal #215 Magnum rifle primers, and 69.5 grains of Reloder 22 powder. Velocity is said to be 3471 fps, but I have not fired through a chronograph to confirm that yet. Please note that this was the maximum load suggested by the Alliant Powder Company.

I don't have my case or OAL dimensions at hand, but I trim all brass to length, neck size only, and set my OAL so my ammunition just barely fits into the magazine but still feeds properly. Accuracy has so far been beyond my wildest dreams.  :o

zonie

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
So far I have tried  Sierra 75 HP's, Swift Scirocco 100's, Barnes TTSX 100's, Nosler 110 Accubonds., Berger 115 VLD's,  Hornady Interlock 120's, and factory.  I'm really concentrating right now on the Swift, Accubonds and Barnes mainly for the up coming Antelope  hunt.    The Bergers I won't use on Elk, but it's fun to see what they will do accuracy wise,  it's just not a big priority right now.   The 75's shot great , the Bergers I wasn't too impressed, BUT I haven't played with them enough to say yea or nay.   So far the Barnes, Accubonds and Swift have all shot pretty good to really good. 

I have tried a lot of powders from IMR-4350, RL22,  RL25, H-4831, IMR 7828 long cut, and Ramshot Mag.  I just got in some Ramshot Hunter to play with down the road not sure if it's really slow enough to get the velocities I'm looking for, might be OK for the 75's.    So far the 7828 has given the highest handload velocities and pretty good groups.   The biggest problem I'm having is copper fouling with the Sciroccos & Barnes pure copper bullets, and the unavailable load data for Ramshot mag powder.    I do have some data , but I need to get it from the horses mouth.   I'm running by the guess method and no where near max from looking at the cases.  I have an E-mail in to Ram Shot for load data.   H-4831 gave me the best accuracy just not the best velocity with all 3 bullets.   I have about 50 rounds to test when the rain stops including a few  Bergers. We will see hopefully next week in between monsoons if I can get to the pit without getting stuck.  I kind of went with a wide varity of bullet weights to see if this rifle likes one weight over another.   I could amost flip a coin between the TTSX, Sciroccos and Accubonds, one reason I'm spending so much time on the Scirocco is a slightly higher BC's and a little more velocity, the down side is they copper foul way more.  I need to run about 3 more test on these 3 to get where I'm happy. 

ballistic

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
I may have to try the Sierra 100 Matchking hpbt for a bullets to mess around with. My goal or what Im hoping is to have something cheaper that shoots really well, and hopefully use accubonds for my good loads. Gotta have it ready for a Wyoming pronghorn next year. Those WNMR ought to be awesome pronghorn guns, I'll be waiting for some reports.
Jim thats almost the identical load I have in mind, I use 215's in my 7mm's so naturally I'll be trying them first in my 257, along with RL22. Id like to hear how they cronograph when you get around to it. How long is the barrel on that WNMR ? It's not a perfect comparison but it'll be interesting to compare velocities, I'll have a 26" barrel. I seen your groups posted, I'm hoping for something comparable, but wont have to be quite that perfect to satisfy me, but close out of a custom rifle.
Nice group Gene !!

james7mmwby

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 12:44:53 AM »
Ballistic,

My 257 seems to like everything I feed it. H4831 always groups well for me but doesn't get the heavier bullets going as fast as RL22, it does make the 75g Vmax buzz along at 3850 with 1g more of room left according to hodgdon. I mostly use WLRM primers and Fed 215 no discernible difference. Tightest group ever was 117g SST's. You'll have fun with the 257 thats guaranteed.

James

ballistic

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
Nice group James, .257 just seems to be a inherantley accurate shooting caliber. Im sure it will be fun, Ive wanted one for a long long time.

DocHolladay

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
If you want some cheap priced bullets to shoot out of it that are pretty dang accurate and will kill, keep tabs on MidwayUSA's bullets. They have some blemished ones and also some that the package busts on and sell them CHEAP under their label!! I am getting 3401fps with their 100gr bullet(I think it is a Hornady Spire point). It produces 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds and pulverizes a deers lungs.