Spike Camp

Nosler Accubond

Nosler Accubond
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »
I realize this post isn't Weatherby product, but I was wondering if anyone has had accuracy issues with Federal Nosler Accubonds?

I have two 270WSM rifles, my latest is a Vanguard SUB MOA.  With both rifles the 140 grain Nosler Accubond has not been real consistently accurate, not very good MOAs.  On ballistic charts the 140 grain Nosler Accubond looks great.  Good BC, lots of down range energy, and very flat shooting.  Then comes reality and it doesn't seem to be real consistent in my two 270WSM's.  I did just get the Vanguard and this is the only round I've shot through so far.  If anyone is wondering from my post on Rifles, I haven't done anything about breaking in my barrel yet, as I shot my new rifle before I was informed about possibly breaking in the barrel.   So before I shoot it again I will consider getting more ammo to test and see about breaking in barrel techniques.

Thanks, any comments appreciated

Re: Nosler Accubond
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
 Some people will tell you that breaking in the barrel is crucial to the overall outcome of the accuracy of a rifle. I am not a firm believer in this although I do go through the break in procedures. I have seen rifles that shoot great right out of the box and I have seen rifles that have gone through all the break in procedures and still not shoot well, and in every case I have seen it has come down to a certain ammo that the gun likes. I have guns that will shoot sub moa groups with ammo it likes, and the same gun that shoots 2"+ groups with ammo it doesnt like. My opinion would be to make a list of bullets you would like to shoot and try out a few and see what the gun likes.
 You said you were shooting a .270wsm. I have been around hunting and shooting my whole life and have found that a .270 is happiest shooting 130 gr. bullets. just my .02

NB

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:07:59 AM »
I'll disagree with the 130gr comment, on a 'qualified' basis.  I have a 270Wby in a Mark V that really likes 150gr Speer Spitzers (shoots them into less than .5" consistently at 100yds nd sometimes under .25"), and so far only shoots 130gr Interbonds into about 1.1-1.3".  Now, the qualification on that is that I have only shot through the 130's for load development and pressure testing, so I haven't played around much with COAL or anything.  And perhaps a flat based 130 would shoot better, as the Speers are flat based, not boat-tails.  Overall, it's just one gun, with only preliminary load work on the 130's, but some 270's like 150's, I can assure you.

Overall, though, the advice to shoot a variety of bullets is good advice, as you have to find the one(s) your gun likes best.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »
 I figured someone shooting 140 or 150 gr. bullets would pop in  ;D . Please understand I meant that in very generalized way. Many of the members of our hunting lease shot .270's and most of them were avid shooters, many doing reloading and at the target range when not hunting. I spent as much time around them as a youngster learning as much as I could, and of course shot a .270 when I became of hunting age  ;D . I remember more than one conversation when those guys talked about the 130 gr generally shooting well with most loads and not being as fickle as some of the heavier bullets. I did not intend to make it sound as if only 130 gr bullets should be shot, just passing on info that I have picked up through my life. I am sure that with  enough trial and error with bullets, powders, primers, length, ect that any weight bullet for a given caliber could do single hole 3 shot groups.

NB

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »
I too have a Vanguard SMOA in 270 WSM and purchased three boxes for the Federal Premium Ammunition loaded with the 140 gr. Accubond.  I have shot the 140 gr. Accubond in a similar load for the 7mm WSM with great success (3-shot, 200-yard groups measuring 1-1/4 inches).  I have take elk, mule deer, and antelope with Accubond bullets and they are strong performers.  I was truly dismayed when my SMOA would not shoot anything better than 4-inch groups at 200-yards (if you can call that a group).   I also shot a Federal Premium load using the 130 gr. Nosler Partition and a Remington Premier 150 gr. Accutip.  These shot somewhat better but nothing like what you would expect from an SMOA rifle and there was no consistency.  Last weekend I took the rifle to my local gunsmith to have it checked and found the stock is very poorly fitted.  This is being reworked.  When I get the rifle back I'll try the Accubond load again.

sp6x6

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:46:42 PM »
If you have alot of friends that shoot that caliber, ask to buy,barrow ,trade a few bullets to test. I have boxes of 257 that I'm testing, and my Berger match VLD 's 115 gr. shoot 4" at 100. While I'VE SHOT same load with Barnes @ .385 and Berger 87. The point is I have box of bullets I'll never use.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:33:11 AM »
The Nosler Accubonds in factory loads seem to shoot very well in my .257 and .300.  My .300s also love the Barnes-X and I wish they still made them.
Jerry

************************************************************************************************************************************
All Weatherby, All the Time

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
The accubonds did not shoot well in my 7mm WSM. The Federal 225gr factory loaded accubonds seemed fine in my Mark V .338 RUM,but I have not found anything ,yet, that  shoots more than 2" groups at 100yds. I haven`t had a chance to test them hunting,yet. 8)

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:43:18 AM »
The 140 ABs in 270 Win shoot under 1 inch in my rifle and my son's.  These are handloads tuned to these rifles.  Will start working up a load for the 270 Wby late summer and hope to use the same 140 ABs in it.   

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 08:55:33 AM »
I've got a couple questions. First, what is the rate of twist in you 270 WSM, most barrel makers have a chart on their web sites for weight vs. twist to see if it will like 140's although that is a fairly median weight for the .270. Second, is a 270 WSM free-bored at all as opposed to the weatherby which is, I don't know myself. I am not familiar with the 270 WSM, I did load for a 270 winchester 5 years ago, but never tried Noslers. Used SGk's in 130 grn and HRNDY 140grns. It didn't like the 140's either. Tried two or three different powders, albeit I didn't know much about loading at the time. I've got a 30-378 wby that is VERY weight sensitive. It REALLY doesn't like light bullets, too much pressure/velocity or possibly too much turbulance at the muzzle from unburnt powder. I would try a few slower powders for the 140's if you haven't already. Just a couple thoughts that you may have already tried, but worth mentioning.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:50:10 PM »
I was wanting to try the 160 gr Accubond in Federal's 7mm Weatherby Mag.  MidwayUSA has a great sale on them right now at $24.99 a box, down from $63.99 a box.

MidwyaUSA also had a great sale a while back on their Federal 300 Weatherby Mag ammo, like $19.99 a box.  I bought 10 boxes and sent 8 back.  They shot horribly in my Ultra Lightweight and were inconsitent.  You could actually feel the difference in recoil from round to round.

The 7mm Weatherby factory Accubond load shoots just ok in my Mark V.  Anyone have any experience with the Federal 7mm Weatherby Accubond load?  I'm going to try a box of the Federal, but don't want to waste my time and money again.  Maybe they're on sale for a reason.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 06:42:44 AM »
I have two Weatherbys,one is a 257 wby.and the other is a 308 Win. that had the tupperware stock, when I bought it,I sent it back to Weatherby,and upgraded to the wood Sporter stock.I took both rifles to the range,and found that they will both shoot SUB MOA ,right out of the box.The first three shots out of the 308,after sight-in,were 1/2in.with two holes touching,and a 1/4 in. space between those two holes.I don't break in barrels,infact,I never heard of it before I came to this sight.I treat my rifles like I treat my new cars,I don't baby them,I get in and drive them.With rifles I shoot them.If I can't find a load the gun likes,I get rid of it.Works for me.....

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 06:19:17 PM »
Valhalla, I think we got away from a remaining part of your original question which is barrel break-in.  Everyone has a different technique and different opinion on how to do it.  The main thing is to remember that in the initial rounds through the barrel you're potentially smoothing out any roughness in the bore.  So it's a good idea to clean it regularly.  That's the main thing, and yes you can overdo it.  I'd just make sure that you clean the bore every time you come back from the range.  If you want to be anal about it, Shilen has a set of instructions on their FAQ page.  It's pretty similar to what you're going to see/read anywhere else. 

Dylan

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 10:11:20 PM »
heres a little thing to think about, i shoot a 270 wsm and the cheapo fed powershok $20 a box 130 grain bullets shoot well under 1'' and i am just shooting the standard vangaurd, maybe you should try that as maybe a deer bullet
when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. when life gives you a rifle you hunt deer. when life gives you a weatherby you make history