Spike Camp

Birds Beware

Birds Beware
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:55:12 AM »
Well we've made it. I've been holding my breath since Memorial day when the spring gobbler season closed in anticipation for the fall. Personally I hate summer, it's hot. HOwever, It does give you the chance to practice your wing shooting. In summers past I've shot better, my Sporting Clays scores were down this year. Chokes, shells, you name it, I tried it all, I could not break 80. In the past I was a high 80's shooter quite regularly.  About the only thing that did improve for me on the course was my ability to plow rabbits. Other than rabbits, I think my "instinctive shooting" has improved. By this I mean not being ready for a target and then fluidly pointing, mounting, swinging, and breaking a target you weren't prepared for. This is a good sign. While my sporting scores in the past were better, it  simply provided a lot of false confidence going into dove season, and shot after shot the doves would not fall. Now that my shotgun shooting head is a bit smaller I hopefully am more mentally prepared for the dove season which opens today at 12 noon. If I had a place to hunt I would have taken the afternoon off. Unfortunately, I desperately wait by my phone hoping my brother will call to tell me that one of his buddies with a farm wants to hunt doves. Typically we measure our success not by how many doves we kill, but by how many shells we didn't shoot. To say the least, I am excited. I can't wait to get back out in the field and at the very least soak up the scenery and make some noise. You guys ready?
Isaac

zonie

• View Profile
Re: Birds Beware
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »
Ours opens today also.  I'm not a big dove hunter just sold a very nice  wooden stocked Beretta A391 Urika II with all the bells and whistles, never even shot it.   I did pick up a couple years ago a Savage Fox B,  24 " sxs 12 ga.  nice little gun.     More of a social gathering for me I guess.     

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »
Texas opened today also.I heard shooting on the fields down by the river early this morning.Sure sounded like they were having a good time.I couldnt go this morning and am not going to battle the heat this afternoon with as few birds as we usually see where I can hunt.I am planning on busting a few caps Saturday morning though.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Same here, havent gone out and wont be able to until Sunday, hopefully I still find some birds

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
We hunted this afternoon in a harvested cotton field that had wild sunflowers in it and around it.More birds here than previous years.There were 5 in the group I was with (48 doves) and 6 others in another group that did about the same.The youngsters(2- 16yr olds and 3- 12 yr olds,also a 5 year old non hunter that might have had more fun than anyone while running down the doves his mom shot) really had a great time.Probably kicked our butts too  ;D.Dove hunting sure is a good time and not that serious with us.We breasted the doves and sat on the tailgates talking well after dark.
Roger

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:51:48 PM »
It was 106 today when I got to the dove field. I had to sit down after going after about 6 dove. I over heated and about got sick. I still managed to get my limit and plan on going out again Monday morning to get another one.
Tennessee- The patron state of shooting stuff!

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:27:44 AM »
Were you using the Circuit Judge? ;D
Roger

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 02:42:23 AM »
Were you using the Circuit Judge? ;D
I did shoot it 5 times ;D, but the birds have to be close. With the rifling it makes a wide pattern and the birds needed to be 15yds or closer. I ended up going with the old faithful 12ga. I will say that the short barrel on that rifle and 3" loads are VERY loud.

I went back out Monday in the pouring rain and got another limit. Me and the birds were both soaked(I wore good rain gear, thank goodness). It took me a little over an hour to clean my shotgun. I think we are going to have one more hunt at this property... I hope we are.
Tennessee- The patron state of shooting stuff!

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
Using a Curcuit Judge for dove hunting   Hum !!!  I think that would be  blast,   I wonder how you put a plug in it   ;D

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
Ron:It sure is a neat gun.Still trying to figure out a way to justify getting one.They come with plugs to go in the cylinder to make them legal for the doves.
Roger

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
Roger they thought of everything that's pretty cool.  I'd probably shoot them off a fence, not exactly ethical or legal,  although we have been getting in eruasian collared doves that are freebees all year round.  To me they look bigger than a white wing.  I guess they are pretty envasive. 

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
Ron:Lots of peoples shooting percentages goes up when they are hunting close to power lines. ;D.Those are dove magnets.I have blasted a few in trees before.We have a few collared but not many.They are a lot bigger.I could probably even hit them.White wings are moving our way more and more but not a big population yet.I have looked at going to Argentina for a combo dove and pigeon hunt.Looks like lots of fun.I will do the final load development for the WNMR using the 80 ttsx this weekend and get some loaded for the hunt.
Roger

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
Brandon finally shot his rifle two days ago,  scope is near topped  out  on adjustment.   Ther Warne rear base isn't high enough and I ran into the same problem with mine,  but the Vortex has enough adjustment to dial to 1000 yds.   Brandons same Warne bases same problem rear base too low and maxed his scope out,  measured a diffrent set of rings and installed  will try to get out tommorow.  Worst case scenerio I have two other sets of bases to play with.   I'll do a final check on mine also.  Two grains under max IMR 7828 and 110 Accubonds on both rifles.  Running at 3380 to 3400 fps. 

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
The latest sporting shooter magazine had an add for the circuit judge but no price,they look pretty cool so i'm going to have to find out how much they want for them as i'm looking for something like that just for a play toy
                     Nik

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
If I remember Ron the rear bases and fronts are different heights, it would be possible for Warne to put the wrong bases in the proper packages but doing it twice does not sound correct at all and I am sure you swapped the front to the rears already? They are different heights on the Vanguard receivers I think? Using 2 different rings will probably not be good for your tube if they are misaligned very much? I would give Warne a call as they are closed on Fridays I think! I would not want to loose any elevation adjustment at all or the smallest amount possible!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:25:02 PM by NMARKANITE »
http://www.weatherby.com/support/faq/latest/items
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Operation Desert Shield / Storm Disabled Vet