Spike Camp

7mm Weatherby

aka Hunter

Re: 7mm Weatherby
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 04:31:25 PM »
"Charts" don't limit a reloader.  ;D

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
Ron, sorry I must have misunderstood, i thought the 264 and 300win had the same case.
I would have to say that if I had a favorite caliber it would be the 7mm/284s.
So I guess with regard to the 270wby vs 7mm wby I will need to buy 6 rifles in one cal and a half dozen of the other and run them over a chrony myself. Fine! I will do it. and like it. :)
Isaac

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
I know this is a shocker but that data in those books doesn't always work out to be the same thing in the real world.  Turn them loose in the same length barrel and chronograph them sometime see how head and shoulder above the rem mag the weatherby really is.  It's got a slight edge at best.  Under 100fps for the most part.
Like I said I can't see ever going wrong with any 7mm.  The weatherby isn't a any big step up from the remington by any means. There's more difference between a 6mm and a 243.

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »
Remember Remington copied Roy's 7MM, not the other way around. ;D The 7MM Weatherby has been around since the 1940's.I think the Remington version came out in either 1962 or 63.
Pennsylvania "Big Woods" Mountain Buck.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
The 275 H&H pre dates the Weatherby by 30 years or so and it just happens to be almost the same case capacity as the Weatherby and the Remington. So I guess by that logic all of us 7mm Mag fans should be tipping our hats to the good folks at Holland and Holland for having such a great idea in 1912 and to Roy for putting the double radius shoulder trick on it and the free bore and finally to Remington for making a version of it that people could actually afford to own.  And yes the 7 Rem Mag came out in 62 along with the Model 700.  The H&H was way ahead of them both.  By the way the radius shoulder design was not  Weatherby invention and I'm not sure about freebore but I bet that it had been done way befor the 40's also.  So I don't think I'd be bustin Remington's balls too hard for copying a Weatherby design.     

james7mmwby

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 09:23:27 PM »
you can't bust Rem's balls for recognizing an outstanding cartridge and making it available to the general public. I often wondered why Roy's cartridges were kept as mysterious proprietary offerings for so long.

zonie

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 12:17:40 AM »
The only issue I have with Weatherby ,  I wish they would open up Norma powder blends to the public.   I don't see it happening, but it would be nice. 

NMARKANITE

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 07:37:44 AM »
Anybody ever used Norma powders thru their Chrony to see how close they come to the so called Norma mix that Weatherby rounds have in them? Here are the retailers that handle Norma powder? I suppose no one wants to spend the cash for the regular Norma powder but i could be wrong once again today?

Black Hills Shooters Supply
www.bhshooters.com

Graf & Sons, Inc.
www.grafs.com

Huntington
www.huntingtons.com

Midway USA
www.midwayusa.com

Sinclair International, Inc.
www.sinclairintl.com

ballistic

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
Weatherby advertises 270 wthby with 140gr accubonds or bst's at 3300fps, Im shooting 140 accubonds and 140 bergers out of my 7mm Rem Mag at 3200fps. Ive had them faster but this is my best load for accuracy, wheres the big ballistic advantage  ??? Like I said in the field you wouldnt know any difference.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:04 AM »
Yea but it's a 270 so that automatically makes it better than any 7mm. ;D

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »
Wow, I'm out all weekend for my daughter's 7th birthday weekend, and look what happens!

Okay, I'll clarify what I said and give my thoughts.  First off, Hunter got my statement correct, albeit without the surrounding context.  The facts are the facts - best I can gather from talking to a lot of people who own both 7mm & 270Wby's, and from shooting a lot of rounds over my own chronograph from my 270Wby - the 270Wby is about 50-100fps faster than the 7mmWby with equal weight bullets.  In fact, it's a couple hundred fps faster with comparable weight for caliber in some instances, as I can safely get 3500fps out of 130gr bullets in my 270Wby and they compare in SD and BC to 140gr bullets in the 7 which will run about 3300fps at best from what I can gather.  So, the facts show that the 270Wby is faster with equal weight for caliber bullets, as I've said many times.  I'll step further out on the limb and add that it is also marginally faster with equal weight bullets, which is a bit bigger deal, as the higher BC and SD of a 140gr .277 bullet can be significant in longer range field situations (400-500yds).

Now, the only reason I can come up with for this is that the bullet weight, caliber, and case capacity hit some sweet spot right around the 130-150gr 270Wby loads.  Or, perhaps it is such that pressures are higher in these rounds, but I doubt it based on the consistency across a number of rifles and both factory loads and handloads.

In the real world, there just isn't anything I'd carry a 7mmWby for that I'd feel undergunned with the 270Wby, and I get anywhere from 10-20yds more point blank range with the 270Wby than is workable with the 7mmWby.  I realize 10-30yds isn't much difference in point blank range, but it does also equate to some significant differences of half to a full minute of angle at 400-600yds.  Let's remember that at those distances, half a minute of angle is 2-3" difference in trajectory, which could mean the difference between a lethal hit and a wounding shot.

Now, if you own a 7mmWby, don't fret.  For just a little bit of money you can acquire a 270Wby in a nice Mark V, and be on your way to rifle nirvana.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

james7mmwby

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
Dubyam,

I didn't see any numbers for bullets in the 160-175 range. Oh thats right I forgot the 270 can't deliver the heavier ones. ;) :D ;D

James

aka Hunter

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »
W, said, "best I can gather from talking to a lot of people who own both 7mm & 270Wby's, and from shooting a lot of rounds over my own chronograph from my 270Wby - the 270Wby is about 50-100fps faster than the 7mmWby with equal weight bullets.  In fact, it's a couple hundred fps faster with comparable weight for caliber in some instances, as I can safely get 3500fps out of 130gr bullets in my 270Wby and they compare in SD and BC to 140gr bullets in the 7 which will run about 3300fps at best from what I can gather."

W, as I recall, most of the info I've seen regarding MV with the same weight bullet from different calibers is that the larger caliber is usually faster.  Why?  I've been told: (a) less bearing surface; and (b) larger bottom area against which force is applied.  I'm not sure of either; however, both of those "speculations" sound reasonable to me.   

I haven't done much shooting w/ 145s in my 7Wby; however, I've gotten 3300 w/ 160s, using several different powders.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
Aw James you are forgetting the nosler partion in 160gr. I think i will have to take dubyams side as i have an even grater 270 in a 270-300Wby. ;D All kidding aside i love the friendly fued you and dubyam have going. I think both the 270wby and 7mm wby are super rounds. Notice how i put the 270Wby before the 7mmWby ;D
Derrill
Good Hunting And Shooting To all
Derrill

zonie

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
Oh my god while we are at it we might as well compare which is best pickups,  Ford , GM,  and Dodge Trucks or Toyota, Nissan or Honda ?   Personally for me in the 3/4 & 1 ton I would take a Ford body , Dodge Cummins diesel  engine and GM Allison tranny.   1/2 ton or mini pickup Toyota all the way. 

Maybe if the 6.5 Weatherby comes out we can put it all to rest.  I doubt it,  we will still have discussions , but  that's what makes it so fun.     ;D.    I can see it now You're full of yourself, no you're full of yourself and here's why.    I love it.    ;D