Spike Camp

22-250 in Vanguard?

22-250 in Vanguard?
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:50:24 AM »
I have been wanting a 22-250 for quite a while. It's one of those itches that just won't go away till you scratch it. Would like to know if any others have any experience with this round in a Vanguard or even the Sub-MOA Vanguard. :)

Dan

Re: 22-250 in Vanguard?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »
I too have suffered from that same itch and have scratched it twice.  Several years ago I purchased my first .22-250.  It was a Ruger M77 Target.  I loved that rifle, but at the time thought I needed something different.  I sold it and purchased a different rifle, different caliber.  (Worst decision ever)

I love to coyote and prairie dog hunt and spend time at the range.  I love .22-250 because it is a great round for doing all three.

I recently purchased a Vanguard SUM MOA Varmint .22-250.  I like this rifle as much as I did my Ruger.  I put a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20X50 on top.  The only modification I did to the rifle was put a Timney trigger in it.  That gave me a lighter trigger pull and it breaks like glass.

I don't hand load...yet, but I've shot about every kind of factory ammo I can get my hands on.  It depends on what part of the country you're from on how popular .22-250 is off the shelf.  In Texas I can get it about everywhere and have several choices in brand, grains, and bullet type.  The cheapest Winchester in 45 gr. JHP seems to shoot the best.  I average just less than 1" groups at 100 yards with it.  I've posted a few pics under my profile.

Like any Weatherby rife, I don't think you will be disappointed in it.  As far as .22-250, I'm a little bias as it's my favorite round.

My wife even enjoys shooting my/our new Weatherby.

Dan
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
- Gen George S. Patton Jr.

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »
I'll throw my vote behind the 22-250 in Sub-MOA Varmint as well. I just got mine and absolutely love it. As long as you don't intend on hiking with it (it's a little heavy) this is an amazing rifle. My factory included target showed three-holes touching and I have almost exactly duplicated this at the range. Absolutely a GREAT gun. I also agree with the cheap 45gr stuff - it seems to shoot the best in this rifle
I use a .460WBY on Squirrels...

bill

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
you cant go wrong with the vanguard. i own a 257 in a vanguard. its a great rifle. you cant go wrong with a 22-250 eather . a vanguard 22-250 is sure to be a pleasure to shoot. i owen a ruger m-77 22-250 and love it. i have shot a few deer with it useing a 55gr extream shock bullet they have no murcey on the target. shot placement is everthing when using this cal on deer, but the extream shock round put those animals on the ground in there tracks. all were 1 shot kills, but is there any other way to hunt? if you buy the vanguard you will love it.  happy hunting .....

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:00:05 AM »
If you're looking to buy a new Vanguard I don't know if this helps, but I've got a Vanguard Classic II 22-250 I bought 15 or so years ago that is still my favorite rifle out of the 35 or so that I own.  When I got it It had the worst trigger I've ever had in any rifle, but when I figured out how to clean it up (a surprisingly easy thing to do) it's now the best trigger of any rifle I have, I have it set now so it breaks cleanly at 12oz.  I haven't shot a factory round in it in years, but with my handloads I get consistent 5 shot groups at or just under 1/2" at 100 yards.  Mine has the medium weight barrel, I don't know if that's available on the new ones.  The rifle is pretty heavy, though not as heavy as my heavy barrel Howa.

The Vanguard is basically a Howa in Weatherby clothes, though there are are a few differences between my Vanguard and my Howa, particularly the fit and finish of my Vanguard is way above that of the Howa.  Mine has the finest stock of any of the rifles I own, beautifully grained black walnut with a perfect hand-rubbed oil finish.

I know that if I didn't already have mine and really wanted one I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Vanguard in 22-250.  It's a caliber for which I really don't have a use, my shooting range is only 200 yards long, there aren't any varmints to hunt around here, and a .223 is much cheaper to reload, but I love to shoot it anyway. 

But then again, mine is 15 years old, and I can't say how it compares to the current crop of Vanguards.

Dan