Spike Camp

factory 100gn Norma vs, Barnes TTSX 100gn

gary d

factory 100gn Norma vs, Barnes TTSX 100gn
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
So I'm heading out Thursday for Mulies (and/or WT) with my new S2 in .257 and although I have all my reloading supplies, I've only been able to break-in and sight the rifle with the Factory 100gn Norma ammo.  Does anyone have experience with this ammo on game?  I suspect the Barnes TTSX 100gn are a superior bullet, but I don't have a lot of time to load, test and shoot a new load before heading out, however I am prepared to if the difference in terminal performance makes it worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appreciated

zonie

Re: factory 100gn Norma vs, Barnes TTSX 100gn
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:37:46 AM »
I haven't used them on game, , but they sure shot good and they're fast in factory form,   I'd stick with em and see how they do,  probably not bad.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:18 AM »
If you are happy with the accuracy, and I would expect you are with the S2, I wouldn't stress to change anything before the hunt unless you absolutely have the time to do it. I don't think there is a Mule deer or Whitetail out there that will argue with the factory 100 gr Norma ammo if you poke them in the vitals. Confidence in your equipment can't be over-rated, I would be confident with that ammunition.
Isaac

NMARKANITE

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 06:41:56 AM »
These bullets are noted for pass thru wounds and you need to hit vitals, so if you do your part their should be no problems with the 100 Gr offerings even in TSX, Partitons or Spitzer will also do the job! try and get a good shoulder shot as they are going so fast that they need bone to slow them down and getting a good shoulder or behind the shoulder a tad should work just fine! My use of factory ammo was reason it has taken me so long to start reloading because it is so accurate, if you are thinking that reloads are going to be more accurate you might be surprised. The reloading process does save money but until I get ramped up and some testing done beating factory ammo accuracy wil be hard to match. Working up loads so close to a hunt on unproven data to me would not be the greatest thing to do as all rifles shoot differently and you never know how your rifle will act with different offerings but reloading will give you a huge selections but they need to be tested ?

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
I agree with the others.They should work fine.When you do reload the Barnes I would suggest you go to their website and follow their COL,trim length,powder choices.Their data seems to work well for my guns.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

gary d

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
Indeed the factory rounds worked just fine, although I filled a Whitetail tag instead.  I have posted my impressions on the performance in the ammo forum here... http://www.weatherbynation.com/spikecamp/conversation/26/257wby-100gn-norma-sp-factory-ammo-performance-review/new/#new