Spike Camp

Muley Hunt

ballistic

Muley Hunt
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »
Got back from mule deer hunting today, was a DIY first muley hunt, was an awesome time. We had some tough hunting conditions with reduced number of deer from the last two harsh winters. Regardless, its an experience I wouldnt trade for anything. I didnt get the monster muley I was hoping for but Im very proud of the deer I got. As for the my first hunt with my accumark 7mm rem mag and 140 gr. bergers... all I can say is AWESOME. I made a 300 yd shot on this buck, he dropped in his tracks right where he stopped. The berger performed like they say, went in without any sign of an entrance hole, and did a number to its vitals, no need for a second shot. Got him the last evening of the last day of the hunt.  I also come across some coyotes eating on a dead cow, I ranged the cow at 525 yd. I dialed my scope to the correct range and dropped one of the coyotes, it was about the coolest shot I ever made. Tommorrow our whitail season gets under way, cant wait.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:31:47 PM by ballistic »

Re: Muley Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
Congrats Troy.Looks like a good one to me and some very good shooting involved..Last afternoon of last day,you were cutting  it close   ;D.Good luck with the deer hunt there.Ours opens Saturday.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »
Troy ,  Looks like a pretty nice buck to me.   Where were you hunting ?   That's pretty cool on the coyote nice shooting.

NMARKANITE

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
That spread is big enough for me to set in! WOW! Great kill on the Coyote and Congrats on that Muley! Looks like your Bow Buck still kicks that Muley!!

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »
Very Nice Troy
Both shots Very impressive. You said you dialed your scope is it one of the CDS you were telling me about?
Mark

ballistic

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
Ron we were in Montana, only about five hours from where I'm at. I couldnt get a range on the coyotes at that range, but could get one on the cow. Have a new range finder on the wish list for next year.

grizzly, my accumark has M1 dials on it but they work pretty much the same as the CDS dial. The dial cap is engraved to my load, same as my CDS cap on my 22.250, it works very well also.

Thanks everyone, this is the best time of year.

zonie

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:11:28 PM »
Troy what ranger finder are you looking at ? 

ballistic

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 04:51:45 AM »
Ron, I pretty much have my mind made up on a leica 1000, any others I should look at ? It gets top reviews no matter where I look and sounds like a good quality no nonsense rangefinder. Right now I have an older Nikon 800 I bought from a guy for $150. Its fine for bow hunting but its a pos for anything long range past 500yd, I was barely able to get a range on that cow, tried several times. Those coyotes were eating and didnt even know I was in the neiborhood  ;D

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:30:41 AM »
Excellent shooting on that big muley. Those "last day" hunts always mean more than anything else.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
Nice!  I'm always happy for y'all guys going out west, but I'm also always a tad jealous.  I'm hoping when the wife clears grad school that I can arrange a 2013 western hunt for muleys, pronghorns, or maybe both if I'm lucky.

And for the record, I'd sure as heck hang that muley on my wall with some serious pride!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

O C hunter

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 11:37:20 AM »
Nice looking Muley, good shooting. I like the idea of the DIY to me that is the way to go. Good luck with your season...

zonie

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »
Troy :  I have the old  Leica LRF 800 it's really too big for my pocket, but I still  love it.   Very reliable , super clear, and it works even past it's rating if you get a good object to bounce back.   The new ones are much smaller and scan.  The Swaros are expensive and large,  for some people that might not be a bad thing.   Might look at the Zeiss Victoy PRF it's a little larger than the new Leica, but it has a release button  to range instead of a push to range.  I think that's a great idea on little targets when you are shaking.   Same price as the Leica 1000.  I'd almost go with the leica because it's super easy , reliable,  and small  although  I would check out the Zeiss you might like it better.    I wish they made a Very GOOD one with all the features I would like,  scan,  tripod threaded would be a nice option but not absolutely necessary,   just a basic system,  release to range button, would be cool,  small size that fits in my pocket,  great optics,  good power 7 to 8 X,  ranges inclines would be nice.    I don't need all the fancy reticles and gizmo's push the button and it works.    

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »
Dubyam:You might want to think about applying and building you up some points if you have not already.Wyoming has an option where you can just buy a point every year and not be considered to be drawn that year.I dont know about the other states.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

zonie

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »
Roger:  My buddy just back from Wy deer hunting he's from there and has a house in Hanna a little to the SE from where we were,  5 guy's 4 deer  he passed  on deer not big enough for him.  Brandon just got back from Mancos , Colorado to do some rock work on  his friends family ranch near Druango,  said very large bucks on the ranch.    AZ you can buy a bouns point,  but they stick you for the license fee and not re-fundable.   Really not worth it for out of staters unless you have deep pockets.