Spike Camp

First fox

First fox
« on: November 13, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »

Shot my first pennsylvania gray fox thursday night. My brother called it in using a foxpro call and a mojo critter. It came in to about 30 yards and I hammered it with the shotgun.
Isaac

Re: First fox
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »
Good going Isaac.I use a Foxpro and the Mojo as well.What call did he come in to?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
We started out with the mouse squeaks, ran about 5-10 minutes then switched to the lightning jack and we had him in just a couple minutes. I think the lightning jack is fox pros number one call, it worked for us.
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 06:20:26 PM »
Isaac,
Cute little guys aren't they? They're kind of rare when calling, don't hear of many coming in.
                                                                                  74

NIK SOKO

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »
He's a lot better looking than the old red fox,will you keep the skin it would look great on the wall
             Nik

ballistic

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
Thats cool, Ive shot hundreds of red fox but we dont have grays here. What shot did you use ?  Ive shot some reds with 4 shot.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 06:31:54 AM »
The largest shot I had with me was No. 5. In a 3 inch turkey load, I figured at 40 yards and under it would work fine. I will probably go with no. 4 buck from here on out for better penetration though. My brother is skinning it out and talking to his friend about preserving the hide and fur. It should look nice, it wasn't shot up at all. I think I caught him in the head with the bottom of my pattern. We have a lot of reds here in the southeast and I think the gray's are more prevelant up in the mtns in the top half of the state where I got this one. There are red's there as well. My brothers buddy got 30 reds last year hunting local farms around where we live. This predator hunting is growing on me quick.
Isaac