Spike Camp

Another successful hunt with the .240 WBY Mag

Another successful hunt with the .240 WBY Mag
« on: November 19, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »

Got this muley in South Dakota last weekend with my mark v .240 wby. He was just a tish over 300 yds and hit both lungs and found the bullet in the far side of the hide. I absolutley love this gun/cartridge combo, especially when walking up and down steep hills all day, you really start to appreciate its lightweight. Anybody that thinks 6mm is to small for Muleys hasn't shot Weatherby's version.

Re: Another successful hunt with the .240 WBY Mag
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »
Congrats on your  kill.How far and with what bullet?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »
that is an awesome deer in some beautiful country. Is that public or pvt. land ? Those pictures should help sales for the 240 in MkV and the new Van S2.

Congratulations,

James
exhale and squeeze

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
Just awesome, great deer ! Nothing I'd rather be doing than hunting mulies in great country.
Troy

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys,appreciate it. He was like 330 yds when I last ranged him but i kinda army crawled closer over a hill to get in a little shorter weeds so Im guessing right around 300 yds. I used weatherby factory ammo in 100 gn hornady spire points. Thats what ive used on pretty much all the deer ive taken with my .240 besides one antelope I used 95 gn Nosler BT.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 06:58:27 PM »
 I looked long and hard for one of those in eastern Montana a few weeks ago. Shot a nice whitetail, but we have whitetails here in Minnesota. Nice buck, cool rifle.
" If your going to put a hole in something, make it a hole to be proud of "

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 10:35:43 PM »
The 240 Weatherby is a great cartridge. I had one several years ago but ended up trading off. It was sure an accurate gun and killed deer and antelope in their tracks. I hope that chambering it in the new Vanguard S2 will help the 240 gain more popularity.

My only complaint with mine was the expensive ammo.

Maybe another company like Hornady will start producing some less expensive ammo for it. Although I have not used them, I hear from friends that the Hornady ammo in 257, 7mm and 300 Weatherby is great and runs more like $40 per box, even with their GMX bullet - which is much the same as the Barnes Tipped TSX bullet. I'm not sure about the velocities however...... I think the Weatherby factory stuff produced in Sweden by Norma is probably hotter/faster.   

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 11:42:57 PM »
I can't wait for January to get an S2 in that chambering...
"That's not snow you cheechako!... that's crystaline sunshine."

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 04:48:49 AM »
James, the specific land where I shot it was private but there was a lot of land connected to it that was public. It was just north of chamberlain along the Missouri river. We're from WI and try to get out there every yr. I think this was our fifth or sixth yr.

fuonlynu

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »
Wow! that is a terrific Deer, and some beautiful country in which to hunt them. I hunt the desert Mule Deer where I am at, much much different than what you have there. I would really like to try that type of terrain at least once in my life. Congratulations on a fine Buck.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 04:36:25 AM »
VERY NICE !!!!
Colt Army

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 12:55:51 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone. Hunting in beautiful country with good friends and an awesome gun, doesnt get much better then that. If only all the city slickers and tree huggers would give it a try.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
If only all the city slickers and tree huggers would give it a try.
SHHHHHHH!!!! Don't give them any ideas.
Tennessee- The patron state of shooting stuff!

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Not that's a photo for the Weatherby Catalog!!!!  Congrats.
There are as many answers to that one as there are reasons men hunt, fight, skydive, gamble or take up with redheaded ladies.

NRA Legacy Life Member
IHEA Instructor
NBEF Instructor
DU Instructor

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 04:28:27 PM »
 I just saw a new S-2 in 240 WM in a local gun shop.Very nice! The stock in nice to handle and it looks great too. It was priced at $459.00.That is an excellent value.