Spike Camp

New Coyote gun

James

New Coyote gun
« on: January 06, 2008, 09:38:46 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new gun for coyote, but what caliber .223, .243, .22-250, .257, who knows whats the best, I am sure nobody does, but some suggestions would be great!  This gun will be mainly used for coyote, rock chucks,  and maybe some thin skinned big game.  Thanks in advance.
Jim
NAHC Life Member
RMEF

Re: New Coyote gun
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »
I posted this in response to another similar question but my answer stays the same  ;D ;D

A gun you may want to consider is the Accumark chambered in the .240 Weatherby.  It's highly accurate and is based on the standard size receiver which makes it a handy and most deadly combination for the game you mentioned.  The .240 Wby is often overlooked and doesn't get much play in the press but, if you asked me, the .240 Wby is a great cartridge with no peer in the "mostly varmint and small deer" category.  It's also one of the nicest looking cartridges.  That cartridge combined with the Accumark framework would be a most enviable outfit.
Jerry

************************************************************************************************************************************
All Weatherby, All the Time

Wes

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:14:39 PM »
I could not agree with nencop more.  The 240 is an excellent choice!  Being that we carry them more than we shoot them take a look at the Mark V Ultra lightweight with the best optics you can afford (I am partial to Leupold).  I have one toped with a Leupold Ultralight 3-9x33 and it is alot more enjoyable to carry than the Accumark topped with a Leupold VXL 4.5-14x50 that I used carry.

Just another opinion,

Wes.
Wes

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »
My personal coyote gun is a 243 winchester and I shoot 70gr nosler ballistic tips in it and this caliber does a number on yotes and cats from close to far and has taken pigs for the pot as well.  I would recommend a 243 caliber wether it being a 6mm, 243 win, or a 240wby.  Personally I would love to have a 240wby in the ultra lightweight for coyote hunting but the 243 was more economical for me and the amount of shooting that I do. 

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:48:40 PM »
Everyone missed the "Boat". A coyote is just as dead shot from a 223 as a 240. I shoot all year and daylight to dark thirty after Coyotes. If you shoot a lot, get a Weatherby .223 and don't think twice. You don't say if you re-load or get store bought? I reload for accuracy, and buy store bought when time won't allow for reloading. Consider store bought ammo remmimgton 45 gr hp at 6-8$ on sale for 20 rds. a good deal. Heck shoot Wolf for 4-5$ and 55gr shoots well to 2-300 yds easily. The factory Weatherby .223 barrel is 1-12 twist, as such 35-55  Grain Ammo shoots good when loaded correctly. Unless you are rich, this will suffice for all your small game needs with a reliable, accurate, inexpensive all-in-one-gun.
Recipe: 4198 Powder, 40Gr. Barnes Varmit Grenade, Lapua Brass, Federal 205M primers.
"The price of ammo should never keep you from Pulling your trigger!"

JMHO....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:56:08 PM by A_Gamehog »

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »
"The price of ammo should never keep you from Pulling your trigger!"

I totally agree!!  ;D

That's why I'll stick primarily to the Weatherby calibers.  If I were shoot PD's I'd go with the .223 also.  For me, coyote hunting is definitely not a high volume affair so I don't mind shooting them with my .257 Wby.  If I had a .240, I'd use that too  ;D
Jerry

************************************************************************************************************************************
All Weatherby, All the Time

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »
Three words......  2  0  4

Weatherby Vanguard Sub Moa chambered in .204 has been a reliable, accurate, and all around fun gun to shoot.  The .204 cartridge leaves the barrel at 4100 fps - I've killed over a dozen coyotes this past year, some shots over 400 yards and this gun put em down.  With the "bigger" cartridges, you can't watch your hits thru the scope like you can with a .204.  I've never had one get away.  If you can get your hands on the Vanguard .204 - shoot it - you won't be dissapointed.
Shoot straight and often -
Marcus

Berne

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »
why not a gun that is good for many animals, unless you have all kinds of guns and money!!!
Bernie

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »
The 204 is a great predator cartridge.  It shoots flat and hits hard.  The Vanguard Sub Moa is very accurate and consistent.  I've had mine for a year or so and taken many coyotes, badgers, prarie dogs, and squirrels.  After several thousand rounds, this gun still remains to be a tack driver. 

Nothing wrong with the other cartridges mentioned, just way too much noise, recoil, and not needed to effectively kill the animals originally asked about.   Whatever you decide, shoot a Weatherby.......
Shoot straight and often -
Marcus

cody

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »
In my opinion there is no wrong answer here.  It depends on your situation. If you are loaded yea the acumark in .240 wby is a great flat shooting gun that you could use on large game also.  If your check book is real tite you might look at a new england arms in a .223.  Mabey you're middle of the road, then you might look at any good bolt action in .22-250, .220swift, .223wssm, they are a little bit more than the .223 but you can get a little bit more distance with these.  Mabey you'll deside to do a lot more deer hunting with this new gun, then you might want to look at a .243, or even a .30-06.  With the .30-06 you can get bullets from 100gr to 165 or higher.  Me, my coyote gun is a cz 550 american in a .22-250.  I love it.  But this is just a prediter gun. 

Good luck and let us know what you got.
God bless and good hunting

Berne

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:38:59 PM »
Oh yeah  , I will  go along with that
Bernie

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 10:00:54 AM »
bud thats a question that's been ask around every camp fire that's ever been builded since time.i would have been a millionaire if i took a old man's advice 53 yr's ago.the absolute best calibur,the absolute best rifle is the one you feel most comfortable with and have the most confidence in,the one that you shoot best,no matter what rifle and or caliber.i have took deer over 200 yd's with a .223 dropped in their tracks and took some under 100 yd's with a 300 mag go figure.the one thing i have leard is don't go and buy a $1000.00 rifle and put a $ 25.00 scope on it.your scope is just as important as your rifle.well said more than i intend too.SHOOT OFTEN,SHOOT A LOT,BE SAFE,AND GOOD LUCK. ;) ;)

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
Personally, I am fond of my Winchester Coyote in .243 Win. I shoot 55 gr. Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip. Out of the box I am getting under 3/4 in. groups at 100 yds. Not only does it roll Michigan coyotes, but I have also taken it to South Dakota where it exploded prairie dogs out to 400 yds. It is a long barrelled heavy gun but the performance is worth it. I know everyone has the best gun and caliber that everyone else needs. And I am sure that no one will change their whole way of life from this. I just wanted to write something and sound important. And I wanted to you one of these  :P.  I do love my Coyote though.

Berne

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 03:36:50 PM »
I also like the .243 but with 85 grain spitzer hand loaded
Bernie

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 11:45:38 PM »
I have two rifles that I use for varmits.  A Custom Husqvarna action 22-250 with a Zeiss 3-12 scope the other is a Vangard .223 S MOA with a Nikon  3-9 Scope and i replaced the stock with a Boyd custom stock.  When I was young, I was told that the best rifle was the one that you enjoyed to shoot.  I was told to buy the best rifle for the money you have.  Then buy the best scope to fit that rifle.  I was then told that each rifle has its own situation to be used in.  So I have these two.

The 22-250 will at 400 yrds eviscerate a squirrel and or spoil a Coyotes day completely.  It was made for the flat open ground,  The .223 will hit anything I want at 200 yrds, This gun was made for the hills and ravines.