Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Deluxe

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® Deluxe
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2010, 10:25:27 PM »
I have a few Weatherbys, ten to be exact, and love them all.  When it comes to the Deluxe I have to say it speaks quality, craftsmanship, and beauty by volumes.  A personal preference I have is I like the skip line checkering better than the fine line checkering.  It was almost like a Weatherby trademark and I wish the checkering would go back to it.  The one thing that I did notice over the years is it seems that the German and Japanese Weatherbys had stocks which had much more figure to them.  Now don't get me wrong, the current production Weatherbys are equally as beautiful but I like highly figured wood.  My Dad has a Deluxe with the most amazing stock I ever saw, it has tiger stripping and the top of the check piece is blond while the rest of the wood has a dark tint to it.  I'd love to find another one with a similar stock, don't care what price or caliber, but will say it would be coming home with me in a second.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

BOB

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 08:00:22 AM »
This is by far my favorite rifle, My 7mm is the german made model.

This is by far my favorite rifle. It is the german mfg. 7mm and it shoots well under an inch at 100 yds with factory ammo. Being a long time varmint hunter and reloader using bull barrelled,composite stocked custom loaded  ammo and a rifle that has been professionally tuned i am not able to shoot  much better then 35 in at 100 yrds. this weatherby shoots about .60 with nothing more then a trigger adjustment. Just goes to show the quality of the workmanship done at the factory.
 A trip to Jim Clark's Western Hunter Classics for a complete restoration made the rifle look "out of the box" new. If the american made weatherbys are anything like the german ones and rifle buyers continue to demand quality firearms i think Weatherby will be around for a long time to come.

Beamy85

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 02:26:41 AM »
my Mark V is a 1961 German Sauer built Mark V. What is interesting about it being an early Mark V is that the safety is not located on the bolt like later Mark V's, but is located on the action itself. The stock is beyond gorgeous looking

sanleonkid

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 09:31:56 PM »
I was only 17 when I purchased my first Weatherby.  My Father was out of town so my Mom went with me.  Looking at a few stocks, She had the salesman bring out a couple more and I still feel lucky for her pick.  Its a 270WM with beautiful dark wood pictured.  I took my Son back to same store and picked him a .257WM slight used but with great stock.  I believe he will cherish his as long as I.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:34:29 PM by sanleonkid »

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 10:04:46 PM »
Very Nice!!!
Doug

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2016, 06:23:27 AM »
my Mark V is a 1961 German Sauer built Mark V. What is interesting about it being an early Mark V is that the safety is not located on the bolt like later Mark V's, but is located on the action itself. The stock is beyond gorgeous looking

Your safety,if not on the bolt,is part of your trigger mechanism.That is how some of the earliest Mark V's started out.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2016, 07:11:13 AM »
That is beauty.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2016, 08:07:38 AM »
It is a beautiful rifle.

I'm partial to Maple stocked Weatherby's just because they are so rare,but there is something to say about dark Walnut stocks with great figure.I like those too.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

sanleonkid

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
..... and the Son's 257

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 10:02:27 PM »
Nice wood on your sons 257 too!!
Doug

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »
Nice looking 257!  I am a big sucker for wood stock rifles, I like a nice figure stock on a Weatherby. 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »
To me when you shoulder a Weatherby they just feel natural. I've shot Rems and Wins that almost tear the shoulder off, and a Weatherby you don't seem to notice a heavier recoil. I've shot an 375 H&H that felt recoil seemed like more than a 378 w/o muzzlebreak.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »
To me when you shoulder a Weatherby they just feel natural. I've shot Rems and Wins that almost tear the shoulder off, and a Weatherby you don't seem to notice a heavier recoil. I've shot an 375 H&H that felt recoil seemed like more than a 378 w/o muzzlebreak.

That is exactly the way I feel when shouldering a Weatherby. They just seem to fit me. Take for example I feel my Winchester SuperGrade in 300 Win Mag with the straight stock and no cheek piece seems to smack me up the face more than what my 340 Lazemark does! I am having a few custom stocks built in the near future and they will all be in the Monte Carlo Weatherby Style. In fact I will be using my Lazermark stock as a template for the stock maker to take all measurements from.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »
My Father and I both have Mark v's from the late 60's.His is a 270 mag which I admired from childhood and mine is a 300 mag left bolt.My 300 left was offered from a camp member that shot right handed..It was his Grand Fathers rifle and he felt it should be with our camp.I could not refuse with the understanding it goes back to his Family if I no longer have use for the rifle.It will always be with me..The rifle is in my profile pic and the buck I shot this year may be our camps biggest over many years.It was a quick shot and as mentioned earlier I made a mercy shot even though I knew I had made a kill shot.Hunters have respect for all game. Thanks for the site.

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
I know this is an older post and I am new here but I just had to agree with most on here and add my two cents ! I believe the Weatherby Mark V Deluxe is the quintessential Weatherby. It is what comes it my mind when anyone says the name Weatherby! I believe it is the prettiest firearm ever built ! (My opinion, if not your's I'm ok with that ) I also believe it is the best action and most comfortable rifle to shoot on the market . As stated in several post above it is just a natural fit when I shoulder it.  It literally feels like it melts into my hands and shoulder and becomes a part of me.  I have owned Pre-64 Winchesters, Rem 700's , Rem 721's , Sako's , Tika's , Mausers , Brownings , Rugers and several other brands and they just don't do it for me the way the Weatherby does .  The Klinegunther's I have owned come close and we all know why that is But when it is all said and done The Weatherby Mark V Deluxe is the Rolls-Royce of hunting rifles.
And on the 8th Day God created the .300 Weatherby and God saw the .300 Weatherby was good, and God divided the .300 Weatherby from the rest.