Spike Camp

Fixing the Plastic Vanguard Follower

imr4198

Re: Fixing the Plastic Vanguard Follower
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47:09 AM »
Bout what I figured, Petey.  Call it half an ounce.  I just finished about 10 ounces of coffee.  What kicks in my slats is the fact that the old steel follower was just a low cost pressed and induction welded piece to begin with.  Up to the task, but very cheaply made.  The idea that the cost would go through the roof by continuing it is absolutely laughable. 
imr

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 08:05:09 AM »
Since you dont have one IMR, here are some comparison pics.

I measured the tabs that hold the follower in place.. the 2 in the middle are only 0.048in thick, 0.195 wide and held on to the follower by a thickness of 0.032in x 0.070in.  The thin tabs are what worries me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:13:50 AM by petey »

sleeper57

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
Update on the plastic follower, I spoke with customer service today.  I went to the range and had the same problem with cartridges not feeding, (follower sticking in magazine)  In order to get it checked out, I need to send the rifle back to Weatherby!
The nice lady I spoke with was very concerned about the finish issues.( rough finish under stock line and deep scratches in triggerguard)  She said there haven't been any complaints about the plastic follower!  The bright side of the day is the accuracy of this rifle!  I complained before about the factory loads being 1 1/2 ".  I shot 130 Ballistic Tip with H4831sc,  check out the two targets. Mr Weatherby was correct about MOA... no complaints about the accuracy!

zonie

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
I'm glad to see weatherby right on top of the scratch issues,  I knew they would be.  What kind of velocities are you getting if known ?   H-4831 has always been a 270 powder good group.

badsection

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
I spent a good amount of time today at the range trying to make my "plastic" follower to fail. NO PROBLEMS to report.  BTW,the rifle shot GREAT groups(for me)! Vanguard S1 257 WBY mag, ;D Just cause it ain`t metal don`t mean it ain`t gonna work,ask Glock about that concept.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:03:22 PM by badsection »

sleeper57

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Hi zonie!  Not sure about the velocity,  55 gr of H4831sc, Winchester brass ,neck sized, CCI BR2 primer. Nosler manual shows 2909 FPS. Didn't take the chronograph with me today, just checking loads and accuracy!  I have some new Nosler and new DWM brass to work with.

zonie

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »
sleeper257,  I haven't seen anyone using DWM brass for awhile where are you buying it ?  When I was shooting the 130's one of my favorite accuracy loads was 58 grains H-4831 long cut,  speer 130 btsp, cci 200 or br-2,  win brass.    I like the sierra and hornady also for some reason the speer 130's,  at least in the the three 270's we own  seemed to shoot very well.   I've pretty much switched over to Nosler 150 partitions, not quite as accurate but we use them on elk.  Very hot H-4831 loads that I wouldn't even suggest  nor are they in current books, although the remington I can not  load nealy as hot,  but it seems to run almost as fast,  very tight chamber.  That's with win brass only if I start using rem brass I have to back them off a tad.   Every now and then I have some old FA 30-06 match brass necked sized down to 270 and they are extremely accurate.    I haven't tried the Nosler brass in the 270 although I do load for my son's 257 using nosler brass which is made by Norma,  it's very nice brass and well matched.   I can't say on other Nosler brass who they are made by.

sleeper57

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
I have a friend that bought a case of DWM in 270 WIN back in the early 70's, I begged some off of him, pulled the bullets, ready to load!  I have another friend in Wyoming, he used to work for Speer, He gave me 300 rounds of loaded 165 for the 300 WIN MAG,DWM also, not very accurate, but good brass! I pulled the bullets and I load for my Custom Shop Vanguard. I will work on more loads soon, Crazy weather in Wisconsin, today 43 degrees and sunny!  I'll be hitting the range as long as it stays nice.

imr4198

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:10 AM »
Still thinking about your peeling piece of painted potmetal.  We sort of breezed by that one.  It is important to you, and unsightly.  I never had a problem with the idea of a non-ferrous floorplate, but then I never saw one peel like that either.  To be honest the striations didn't really bother me.  Non functional.  I can see how it would bug others.  One member said he thought the plastic follower issue was a matter of appearance.  To me it is not.  Also someone said that when they failed, he would replace with steel.  Good luck finding anything.  You probably will have to make one yourself.  So far I haven't found any replacement in steel.  (Even aluminum would work for me if made correctly.)  Maybe I will start kicking on the doors of Davidson, or somebody like that and see if they might consider making a replacement follower part for the Vannies and Mark V in aluminum.  Any comments on a 6061 aluminum replacement follower priced around $12?
your pal,
imr4198

Marshal_

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 05:54:26 PM »
Ed: Off the wall idea here, but why not offer a steel variant for the plastic parts? And I don't mean seperate the vanguard into a poly line and an all steel/wood line. Just keep a surplus around for people that hate poly parts and would gladly pay an extra 10 bucks for a steel follower?

You won't be making the "I'd buy it if it were all steel" crowd happy, but you WILL be satisfying the "I'd pay an extra XXX bucks for a steel xxxxx" crowd. Because they actually could without having to fabricate it, or wait for imr to get on top of things.

imr: I haven't gotten my rifle yet, but it's estimated ship date was the 19th, should be on the way. I'm assuming it'll have the POS plastic follower...if steel replacements aren't readily available let it be known I would be more than happy to pay 12 bucks to replace that thing with ANYTHING metal. 1055 carbon, 440 stainless, 6061 aluminum, it doesn't matter.Hell it could be tin and I would be happier. The poly follower will have to GO!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:57:33 PM by Marshal_ »

rotbaron

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
My new S1 is old stock, with the steel follower and metal trigger guard. It is the Deluxe with the high gloss wood and blued steel. It not only performs flawlessly but is a work of art. I prefer wood stocks, metal hardware, and leather holsters & slings. I have a Glock 17 in my collection and while it also performs flawlessly it is butt ulgy compaired to my SIGs.
  plastics have come a long way. In 1977 plastic connecting rods and pistons were available for racing engines. These outperformed their metal counterparts but at an ultra high price. The fear of oil damaging the plastic is unfounded. Most cars now have plastic intake manifolds and gas tanks as well as other parts. Try to find a metal gas can. Oil comes in plastic bottles. To me the problem can be solved by offering a metal trigger guard floor plate kit.

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
I realize this is an older thread, but I thought I would reply to one of the issues.  I purchased an S2 and didn't like the plastic follower either.  I contacted the parts department from Legacy Sports International (they import Howa rifles) and purchased a steel follower for ~ $20.  It works great and haven't had any problems.  At least you now know how you can get a new, steel follower. 
JK