Spike Camp

i need some advise

dixieboy11

i need some advise
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »
well ill start off by saying that iam new to this site,but any way i figured that their wasnt any place better to ask for some advise,,,i have a 300 wby mag vangard sentehic that i just got and iam not shure what scope to put on it,but i want something that ill take a beatin,and has good magnafaction,and i am looking for it to be around about $250 or less
 if any one has any advise id appericate it  thanks :)

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: i need some advise
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »
Do yourself a favor, and go look through a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40, and a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40.  Both of these will offer sufficient eye relief for keeping you from bleeding when you shoot, and both are clear and bright.  If you have the extra money, take a look at the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40, which can be had for under $400 most places, and for around $375 online.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

wmurer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
Don't waste your time or money looking at anything but a Leupold. 

Not only are they the best all around most rugged optic you can buy, but they are made in America by American.

tristano

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:40:20 PM »
I understand money is always an issue but I have learned over the years you are better off waiting until you can save some extra cash to buy the right optics.  Personally I own a vanguard because I could not afford a mark IV and a good scope combo.  But I would also recomend a leupold becuse the quality outperforms the buck. Think of it this way any firearm will shoot fairly staight but you cannot hit what you can't see!!

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 07:48:25 AM »
I don't want to start an argument, but I own both Leupold and other brands of scope, and if you spend in the $200 range, you will get a lower quality Leupold than what you can get from other companies with just as good a warranty and service.  In fact, when I look through scopes, I don't see as well through Leupold (or Nikon) than I do through Bushnell and Zeiss, but everyone's eyes are different.  I'll tell you for sure that I can see through my Bushnells well enough to shoot any time it is legal to do so.  In fact, I looked through mine under a new moon one evening and could pick out corn stubble in the field we were parked in with my 3200, at about 1.5hrs after legal shooting hours.  I don't think you can ask more than that.  You will hear a lot of folks bragging on Leupold, and they are good scopes, but there are other scopes just as good (and Zeiss is better, in my opinion) for the same or less money.  Look through as many scopes as you can and see which one fits your eyes best, and buy that one.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

maineac

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »
I must come from a different point of view.  I bought a Leupold VX II (wanted a III, but not in my budget at the time.)  The scope never held a zero.  At first it would drift off slowly, from being transported during hunting season.  After a couple of years it would not even hold the zero for a week if it was in the truck.  I had a hard time getting Beans (the place I bought it) to replace it becauuse of Leuplods reputation.  It took over a year of having them remount the scope, checking all the scews on the rifle etc..   I finally got them to take it back.  They had no VXII in stock, so I went with a Nickon Monarch.  It is twice the scope in terms of features and the clarity was much bgetter also.    I have no experience with the ziess, but it always gets great reviews from people that own them.

TheONE73

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »
I received the Leupold Century Model Limited Edition 3-9X40mm scope for Christmas.  It is bright,clear, and looks very nice on my rifle.  It has the LR reticle which should work well with your 300WM.  The scope comes in a collectible-type tin with a very nice little knife.  You can get one on EBAY right now for about 275.00.  I haven't got a chance to get to the range yet and sight mine in but anticipate no problems when I do so.

54deg

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:36:35 PM »
I bought a 3200 elite in 3x9 I couldnt be more pleased, 500.00 and under I havent seen a better scope in a long time, I believe bushnell has really stepped up put most to shame! As for leupold they have just fallen down. I ordered A 2x7 vxii it looked like wet glass so I sent it back to midway and got a refund .I think resting on your laurels could be detramental to a competitive company.I think I might look at another 3200 in a bit higher power for a 220 swift I dont think my money could be better spent ;)

OB1

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »
Ask 100 hunters and you'll get 100 different reasons on what scope is best for you...and none of us would be right because we aren't you...we don't know the weather environment you shoot in, the altitute, the terrain, the forrestation or any other variables you will be shooting in.   The truth is, virtually all scope manufactures will put out a fine and quality product when spending $250 and up.  Most now will warranty them for life (don't waste time with the store you bought it from, mail it directly to the company for warranty work).
The best scope for your rifle is probably sitting in a display case at your nearest Bass Pro, Cabela's Gander Mnt, or Sportsmans Warehouse....go down there, find one that you like, sight it in and then post the pictures of your hunt for the rest of us to see.

Good Luck, Craig

hurricanemike

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 07:06:10 AM »
i've  had my 300 weatherby  for 20+ years and the gun is a masterpeice  how ever the re-coil has allowed me the chance to try severl scopes .  the rifle came with steelcase weaver  20 years behind tech so in the garbage it went  . I had always used bushnell so I went with a 3x9x40 wide angle beautiful scope  although after one-half year thr lens had losend up so in the trash it went ' so my friends said ' gold ring Leupold so I did  an after about 2 years the same affect  anyway to make a long story short   for tha last 5 years I've   traveld by plane bus and truck  my 300 weatherby sports a BSA 10x40x50 longrange tactical  not the most exspensive scope I've bought but by far the best             thanks for your time