Spike Camp

Spring Turkey

Spring Turkey
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »
Any one excited?? I know I am.

When is your season?? Mine is March 31- May 13.

How many can you shoot? I can shoot 1 bearded bird per day until I reach 4
Tennessee- The patron state of shooting stuff!

Re: Spring Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »
Here in Pa. the season starts April 28th and runs for 4 weeks. The limit is two if you buy the second tag before the season starts. IMO if you can kill a longbeard in Pa. you can kill one anywhere. Our birds are VERY smart from all the hunting pressure. Nothing dumb about a Pa. longbeard..

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
Depends on zone and county here.Where I am starts March 31.4 turkey/year.4 Rios or 3 Rios and 1 Eastern statewide.Not close enough to get hyped up yet but I will later on.I have gotten Rio,Eastern,and Merriam.Eastern are easier to call and Rio the hardest.Osceola in Fl are on my list when I save enough money. ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 03:49:53 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
Ours opens May first, and can take two toms per season. Sure am looking forward to the opener...
O C hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
Doc
Here in MI. We have to apply for  tag. I put in For April 23rd - 29th second choice April 30th - May 6th And were allowed Just 1 if you dont draw then you get 1st shot at left over tags in deffrent zones. But yes im looking forward to it.
Mark

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »
Roger: My sister lives in Volusia County, Fl, the heart of Ocseola turkey country. I have to call the farmer, but she has gotten me permission to hunt on private land and I can stay with her. I just have to take the gentleman hunting here for deer. I was planning on going down this spring, but I am planning a fall hunt in Ohio for deer and we are going to go up there for spring turkey and scouting. I am going to be picky with the Osceola that I kill. They are known for spur length and that is what I am after. I want 2"+ if I can. I have multiple beards(2 & 6), now I am after spurs. The longest spurs I have are 1 3/8".

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »
Doc:Not everyday an opportunity like that comes along.I would skip the Ohio hunts and do the Osceola.Who knows what may happen next year.
Roger

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
I've never been turkey hunting.  Can y'all give me some tips, including what do you look for when deciding where to set-up?  How early do you try to be settled in the woods?  How often do you call? How long do you typically stay in one spot? What size shot do you typically use? Head shots only?

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »
You want to set up where you think the birds will be at least a half hour before shooting light. Need to be camo'd up head to toe. Start out calling softly and work up in volume. If theres nothing around move to your next location. I like no. 6 shot, it offers the most pellets to hit your target. Aim for where the red of their neck meets the feathers and squeeze one off like you would a rifle shot if you have an extra full turkey choke in. Box call is probably the easiest to learn with. Remember to keep it chalked.
Isaac

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:35:43 PM »
Roger: All I have to do is get him here to hunt and then I can go anytime after that. No problems if he decides to not let me hunt, I will get her to find another farmer. Thats the perks of having a sister living in Florida.

As for turkey hunting, I scout the weeks leading up to opening day and then the night before, I try and slip out and roost the birds. That way I know where to set up the next morning. It also helps to go out before sunrise a few times and watch them fly down to see exactly where they go. That will help you know where to setup. If done right, you wont have to put out any decoys or call, they are just following their normal route and should walk within shooting distance. I try and be at my first spot 30 minutes prior to shooting time as mentioned. I usually try not to call frequently, just enough to get their attention and hopefully heading my way. I only get loud if it is windy or the turkeys are across a large field. They can hear better than we think. I have had more hens pull toms away from aggressive calling than not. Dont let a gobbling tom fool you into calling to much. Him answering to all of your calls doesnt mean he is going to come to you. Its the hens job to go to the tom, not the other way around. You just have to talk sweet enough to get him to leave the hen(s) he's with and come visit you. Sometimes I use decoys, sometimes I dont. For someone just starting, I would suggest a box call or a pot call. They are the easiest to use. When I started turkey hunting, I used #4 shot because it was bigger and hit harder. Now I shoot 3", #5 Hevi-shot and when I run out of that I will use 3" Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend which is 5,6,7 shot. I am shooting a Winchester 1300 with a .665 Undertaker choke and a red dot scope. It is sighted in at 40yds, but I can kill one at 60yds if I want. I have shot one at 70yds and he went down, but got back up and had to be shot again. That is why I am stopping at 60yds now(ethical reasons). 

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 05:16:45 AM »
Good info Doc. Like most critters, depending on where you are hunting, they act differently. i.e. an Eastern coyote acts a lot different than a western coyote, this idea can be applied to Turkeys as well. Keep in mind Turkeys are extremely weary, at least in my neck of the woods which is eastern Pennsyvlania. Unlike deer, who tend to be more curious, if something looks out of place to a turkey, he turns and goes the other way. I've seen turkeys run from squirrels. He will most likely be able to see you before you see him so don't move and make sure everything is pretty well camo'd. And go out and buy that box call as Doc mentioned and start practicing now.
Isaac

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
very excited, however today i just received word that i will have to miss opening day >:(

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
Doc:You are nothing but trouble. ;D I I booked my hunts in Tx and Ok today for Rios.First weekend in Tx and 3rd in Ok.Just a place to stay and hunting privileges.If I can't call them in myself it is no fun,ambushing is not very exciting to me also.If I can call them in myself that is the ultimate hunt.
Roger

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
Thats the fun part about turkey hunting. You have scouted for weeks, found your ambush spot aaaaannnnnddddd...... They dont follow the script >:( . Had an ambush fail as much as it worked. Thats where the term "run-n-gun" came from ;D. I have sat in one spot for 2 hours, calling lightly every 10 minutes, only to give up and decide to move... and get busted as soon as I stand up >:( >:( >:( FRIGGIN TURKEYS!!!! Thats what makes me want to shoot them in the face.

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »
Do y'all wear any snake protection? If so, what kind?