Spike Camp

What replacement stock for a Vanguard S2?

mtnmasher

What replacement stock for a Vanguard S2?
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
Hello Nation,

I'm replacing the stock on my Lazerguard 30-06, and I'm wondering what to replace it with.  I'm planning on donating the original stock to Weatherby, as long as they agree to donate it to a charitable cause or deserving youth.  It is Ok, just not to my liking.  The rifle has some accuracy issues, which is a contributing factor.  (Rifle is clean, no copper fouling. Could be the scope, but since I'm not enamored with the stock I'm going to address that first.)

All of the stocks I'm considering are around $300+/-, and all have upward pressure on the barrel at the fore-end.

(1) Accuguard - This is similar to the Mk-V Accumark stock, but is designed for the Vanguard S2.  It is a B&C stock with an aluminum bedding block.  It is available as an option through the Weatherby custom shop. No custom fitting required if purchased through Weatherby.  This is a custom order, so many color options are available. I would go with the same colors as the Accumark (gray/black)

(2) Fiberguard - This is the stock Weatherby puts on the Vanguard S2 Range Certified.  It is similar to the Accugard, but does not have an aluminum bedding block.  Instead, it has aluminum pillar bedding.  It is made by B&C specifically for Weatherby. No custom fitting required if purchased through Weatherby. Color is green/black.

(3) Deluxe - This is the wood stock from the Vanguard S2 Deluxe.  It is a little more expensive, but is walnut  (for better or worse).

The action and barrel are gloss blue, if that makes a difference.  This will be my primary hunting rifle, not a safe queen or long range rifle.  When I say primary hunting rifle, I'm referring to 1 or 2 hunting trips per year.  (I'm a slave to a  job in a big city in the occupied state of CA, unlike you fortunate ones.)

What would you choose?  Would options 1 or 2 give me a more accurate 30-06?  Is such a thing possible?

Re: What replacement stock for a Vanguard S2?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:46:51 PM »
I have not seen any of the Lazerguards stocks that were not  a true beauty.I would not have bought it if I was not enamored with it.I cant speak as to their accuracy,but Weatherby gurantees the S2 to shoot under an inch.Why dont you take them up on that offer?What groups are you shooting,  what ammo,caliber?You mentioned it could be the scope.What is the reasoning?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:49:29 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

mtnmasher

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »
I bought the Lazerguard sight unseen to go with my gorgeous 257 Mk-V Lazermark, but the wood on this particular rifle doesn't compare.  Just the luck of the draw I guess.

It has a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 on it.  The scope had tracking problems when it was on the Mk-V, so I sent it back to Leupold for service, and put a Sightron Big Sky 3-9x44 on the Mk-V which solved the problem.

The Lazermark  won't print better than 1.75 inch 5 shot groups with the Lupy.  Once in a while I can shoot a nice 3 shot 1 MOA group, but it's rare and I chalk it up to luck.

I've tried several factory ammos including 150 and 165 Winchester, 165 Rem CoreLokd, 165 gr Accubond (Nosler Custom), 165 Partition (Federal), and 150, 165, and 180gr Interbond (Hornady Superperformance).  It seems to like 180 the best, but it is no where near as consistent as the Mk-V with 120gr Partition.

I don't care if the problem is the stock or the scope, since I'm going to replace the stock anyway and I can send the scope back for service again if it turns out to be the problem.  I just want to decide on a stock...

Your opinions are GREATLY appreciated...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:25:30 AM by mtnmasher »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »
Before I went to replacing things, I'd send that gun to Paso Robles and let the boys in the custom shop work it over to see why it won't shoot.  I'm betting it's not the stock, but rather the Leupold.  I've lost all faith in them, and won't own another one.  They have great warranty service, but they do more warranty work than any other scope maker, i'm guessing.  QC is out the window in scopes, rings, bases, and possibly other areas, by my experience.

Do yourself a favor and swap the scope and see what it does.  Then consider if Weatherby will make a trade with you on a different laser stock for that rifle.  The gloss blue isn't going to look as good in a synthetic, I think.  I bet the custom shop will work a deal with you for a trade on a better looking laser stock without breaking the bank (and maybe for less than a new synthetic stock, out of pocket).  It's worth the call.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »
The scope could VERY easily be the X factor in this. It appears that the Leupold scope was a problem, for sure.

Some rifles simply shoot particular weights of bullets better than others. Even flat-bottomed vs boat tailed bullets can be an issue since the surface bearing area is smaller on a boat tail bullet and it can create accuracy issues. From what you've written it seems you have a 180 grain-loving rifle and that is fine. From what you've shot, it's clear you've tried the normal gambit of weights.

If you're stuck on changing the stock, I would go with the Sporter. Since you're not busting through bush and thorn country and in the deep canyons and valley country all the time, you can easily get by with a walnut stock. The only problem may be where you hunt-- is it usually raining or snowing while you hunt? If weather is a factor where / when you hunt, then the B&C would do better than walnut. 

I've replaced two black synthetic stocks with Sporter stocks and one S2 stock with a B&C Medalist. All of the rifles shoot sub-MOA @ 100 yards. AFTER you get a different stock, try all the leftover factory ammo you have to see if the shot groups change. My guess is the groups will tighten up, some more than others, but don't be surprised if the 180s still do the best.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Would you post a few pictures of the gun and stock?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

mtnmasher

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
I will take some pictures when I get home tonight, but I haven't posted pix yet.  Do I need a photo-bucket account?

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »
You can put the pictures of the stock in your Trophy Room, then add the photo (from the Trophy Room) into your message on the Spike Camp.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

mtnmasher

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »
I uploaded six pictures to my Trophy Room, but the Trophy Room is still empty.   Small files, each less than 230K B.  Is there a trick to doing this or something else I'm missing?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:53:37 AM by mtnmasher »

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »
I'd be willing to purchase the stock off you, and you could donate the proceeds to the charity of your choosing. I have an S1 vanguard in. 338 win mag that would look good in it. PM me if you are interested.
Thanks, Kevin