Spike Camp

new to reloading rifle - some questions

mkaye

new to reloading rifle - some questions
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »
i have a dillon progressive press for loading 45LC, but rifle cartridges are new to me
i have a LEE C press that i was going to use to load my 300 WBY
i have been doing some reading and have the following questions:
  • i have WBY brass that was fired once in my gun, i see that i can just neck-size, or full length size, neck-size implying that the cartridge now fits my chamber perfectly, so just neck-size to accept bullet & trim to length if necessary
  • crimping - this is an extra step that seems to help accuracy - is it required, or just splitting hairs

i am mostly a moose hunter with shots out to 400m (180g), but i want to spend time at the range to get familiar with the gun & get the best accuracy

so far i need:
shell holder
case length trimmer
chamfer tool
primer cleaner
hand primer tool
dies (full length + collet)
factory crimp die
primers (Win Large Magnum)
bullets (180g Interbond) -any  other prferences
IMR7878 powder

mark
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 07:46:14 AM by mkaye »

imr4198

Re: new to reloading rifle - some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:49:18 AM »
Sounds like you have using Lee dies in mind.  (collet sizer, etc).  I think I might try the collet die to neck size with and NOT crimp to begin with.  If your bullets don't get pounded back into the case after you fire a few, don't sweat crimping for now.  I am not a gigantic Lee die lover, although I do own a 300 WinMag set of FL dies made by Lee.  They will do the job, if you do yours.  After you load up a magazine and shoot off a couple or three rounds, then pull out the others and see if the bullets are receding with the unfired rounds.  Crimping doesn't automatically help accuracy, and often hurts it. 
imr

sleeper57

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
I use both RCBS and Lee Dies, The collet die is a great die for neck sizing! Like imr stated, you should not crimp your bullets unless you have problems with the bullets in the magazine moving under recoil. I feel that crimping a bullet without a cannulure(crinping groove) will not improve accuracy. often times you need to seat your bullets closer to the throat to achieve accuracy and to find the sweet spot your rifle likes! Good luck!  Mike

ballistic

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41:18 AM »
mkaye, do you have a scale ? You will need a scale, mechanical balance beem type or electronic. You'll also need a caliper, if your press has a priming arm you dont need a hand primer, just personal choice if you want to use one. I have one but seldom use it, I use it for my .222 primers cause when I load them I do a larger volume. So I dont like to take it apart and reset it up for larger primers. The rest of your list looks like stuff youll need, some other small items if you dont have them are a funnel ( .30 cal satern ), reloading trays. If the brass was fired in that gun you could get by with neck sizing, personally I like pushing the shoulder back about .002 for hunting ammo.

mkaye

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
yes, i have an electronic scale & calipers

i was going to get the hand primer as the easiest & cheapest option, i didn`t want to get another turret for my Dillon, as i won`t be loading any more that 10-20 at a time

my LEE press is the `C` model, i use it for sizing my 45LC, it should be strong enough to do the job

i am not enamoured with LEE, but have their reloading manual (nothing else at the moment) & i can get the stuff locally & i need their shell holder for the press

looking at their ZipTrim - any comments

i was thinking of the 3-die set from Redding