Spike Camp

Vanguard Mounts

Gillie Dog

Vanguard Mounts
« on: January 15, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »
I got Remington 700/Howa 1500 mount for my Vanguard. Installed them and found 0.022" difference in elevation. Put a straight edge on the front one and you've got enough room under the straight edge for 0.022" in feeler gage under it on the rear mount.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is would be appreciated.

Is the receiver machined improperly?

With that much difference a one piece will not fit on the receiver properly either.

The mounts measure what the manufacturer says they should be.

Thanks for any help.

GD

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:23:11 PM by Gillie Dog »

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard Mounts
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:20:20 PM »
Sounds like tolerance stacking to me.  Maybe Weatherby could shed some light on this, but the easy fix is .022" of shim under the base, or a set of Burris Signature rings on your existing bases and use the offset inserts to get back your .022" (you could use a .020" offset in one ring and a zero in the other, or two .010's, or if you'd like more elevation in your scope, you could use a .020" in the front, and a .010" in the rear (set opposite each other, obviously) and get .030" of elevation back into your scope, giving you a tad more reach if you shoot long distances.  I love my Signature Rings (I have them on a Mark V that has the same problem you describe, but about .026" of droop in the rear).
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Gillie Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:23:12 PM »
dubyam,

Have done that.

Made a .020 brass shim and formed it to the contour of the rear receiver. Using Warne Weaver style two piece and Burris Signature rings.  Use Signature Rings on my Mark V 300 and Cooper 17 HMR as well.

It just seemed weird to me that the proper rings had such a large misalignment. If it was not for the Signature rings the scope probably would have been dented/damaged. Also it makes me wonder if the receiver is warped and misaligned because I have to use one .020 inserts and one set of .010 inserts to get close after optically centering the scope where as the 300 Mark V only needed .005s.

I was hoping some one had experienced this also.  I won this Vanguard 270 WSM in a raffle and want to make a Coyote gun out of it. Thanks so much for the response and I will see if any one else writes.

I guess I will call Weatherby. I have not talked to them in years but I hope to see the new shop this year as we go right by Paso Robles twice a year.

Thanks

GD
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:26:45 PM by Gillie Dog »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:21:21 AM »
I have a .010 in the back and a .020 in the front on my Mark V, and it works fine.  What you're probably experiencing is a bit of tolerance stacking, as well as monkeys filling boxes on an assembly line.  I know good and well that the bases I have are exact fit for a 700, but the pack I bought clearly said Wby Mark V on it.  Go figure.  I have come to love the signature rings just because of this issue.  I can tell you that it isn't an accuracy issue for my 270Wby, either.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Hogslayer77

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »
Just got off the phone with the Weatherby Custom Shop and they confirmed that there is a difference in the heights between front and rear of the action that the original poster of this thread experienced.

He was NOT able to specify a part number for any bases from anyone.

He DID say that Remington 700 bases will NOT work properly on a Vanguard.

Are the "proper" Talley rings marked "front" and "rear"???

If not, people are going to have major problems with scope crushing and misalignment.

Also...as I research this....has anyone else found a one piece base or a pictinny style rail that addresses the height difference issue?

jrlong8990

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »
Front and rear Vanguard mounts are unique to the drilled and tapped holes on the gun. The front mounts will not fit in the rear position and the contour will not match either. It's pretty much fool proof.

Hogslayer77

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:50:37 PM »
That's really good to know.

I just remember seeing the other post with the crushed scope and I automatically thought this might be the problem.

I just picked up my rifle in Pasadena today and have been unsuccessful in locating a scope that will fit. What I'd like to find is a picatinny rail so I can mount a "short" (read regular sized) scope on this awesome, soon to be coyote/hog/elk slayer rifle I just bought.

I looked closely at the sub-moa target from the factory and all 3 shots are touching! I can't wait to get out there and hunt!

Thanks for sharing the info...