Spike Camp

Ammo selection

Crewdog129

Ammo selection
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »
I'm using my SA-08 for turkey season and would like some recommendations on ammo.  Today I shot Hornady, federal and Remington.  I liked the Hornady best, then Federal but that Remington stuff tried to tear my arm off.  Holy cow did that stuff kick.  My best pattern at 40 yards was with the #6 and #5  Hornady.  Any suggestions?

Re: Ammo selection
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
That is what turkey loads are supposed to do to your arm. ;D.Use the one that patterned best.I dont know why the big difference in kick unless you had different weight loads or 2  3/4 vs 3 inch mags in the Remington.I have always liked and got the best groups in my guns with #6 shot for turkey.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
I agree with Rodger, shoot the load that patterned the best. If it's a toss up between the 5's and 6's, I'd go with the 6's. I've shot as heavy a 3" load as can be shot from the SA, it's not too bad if you take an aggressive stance and aren't shooting from a bench.
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »
Plus 3 on the patterning. But I allways use Remington Nitro Mag's # 4 shot. weather they come in A pretty box of 10 with turkeys on it or A box of 25. And sure they Kick A Little but they allso carry further. One shot one turkey.
Mark

DocHolladay

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
Spend the money and try at least one box of HeviShot Magnum Blend. Should do what you are wanting. Very impressive stuff!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:30:00 PM by DocHolladay »

Send_it

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:53:02 PM »
I agree with Doc, try the Heavy Shot. I have shot everything through mine and the best results were with the Heavy Shot #5. But be careful with the chokes. You cant choke that Heavy Shot down like you can lead or other plated pellets. 

Send_it

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
I agree with Doc, try the Heavy Shot. I have shot everything through mine and the best results were with the Heavy Shot #5. But be careful with the chokes. You cant choke that Heavy Shot down like you can lead or other plated pellets. 

Crewdog129

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:54:18 PM »
Thanks for the help folks.  I was sitting down while doing this shooting, so your point is spot on.  With the choke/ammo combo the Hornady did seem to pattern best.  That being said, there is a sale at Bass Pro this month, and I'll be picking up some Hevi-shot and an after market turkey specific choke.  I'm thinking Carlsons or primos.  The season starts here in less than a month, and I woefully unprepared...wish me luck.

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:45:04 PM »
I went on my first turkey hunt last year.  I picked up some Kent rounds at Cabelas. I never heard of KENT until then so I googled them.  I clicked on "request catalog"  and my request was answered personally with an email thanking me for my business and asking me to send pics of my hunt.  I thought it was really cool to get such a personal response and quick mailing of a catalog.  Kinda reminds me of another company  ;D.
For $3.50 I got a box of 10  3" #5 turkey rounds.  My buddy took his first gobbler with them.  For the price, apparent quality (decent pattern, took bird with no problem), personal contact... When is the last time Remington personally gave you service?   Hopefully it'll be my turn to try them this year... got a box of 3 1/2 in #4 shot too for about 50 cents more.

johnp034

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:28 AM »
Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend  3 1/2" #5,6,7 - about  $7.00 a round
Kick's .655 Gobblin' Thunder Choke - $65-70.00
Big long beard rollin' over after getting whacked   - PRICELESS!

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »
I dont know, maybe i'm just too cheap for this sport.  At $7 for a 12 gauge shell, I'm spending more on ammo than tags.  No doubt, they work well but seven buck versus 40 cents with the same results of a dead turkey.... a no brainer in my book.

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
Yeah, at $7 a shot, I'm not a Hevi-shot fan. Price would be the only reason I won't buy Hevishot though. By the time you've patterned the gun, I've wasted more in ammo than the cost of the tag. If you can get a cheaper load to pattern well, that's all you need. Turkey's aren't that hard to kill and I'd rather miss with a $1 shell than a $7 shell. If you hit it with either, it's going to die.
Isaac

DocHolladay

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
Quality comes at a price. Price some Nitro shells and Hevi-Shot will seem cheap. The Mag Blend will blow your mind with the pattern it makes. I would skip the .655 though and try a .670, but thats my opinion.

If you buy the Mag Blends at Bass Pro, it is $4.40 a shell for the Mag Blend. Just so you know, I hate recommending Bass Pro because I work at a locally owned store, but I can understand wanting to save money. Thats cheap enough to try them out.