Spike Camp

300 win mag vs. grizz.......?

nickelstick

300 win mag vs. grizz.......?
« on: January 19, 2008, 11:15:22 AM »
I am purchasing vangaurd sumaoa stainless in 300 win mag.  I know about the 300 on caribou,moose,sheep wolves, goats, deer, but my question is..........
Is the 300 winmag poor, fair, good or excellent on grizz/brown bears?

nencop

Re: 300 win mag vs. grizz.......?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:40:24 AM »
As with any other caliber, shot placement is the key.  The 300 win mag has more than enough velocity and energy to drop a grizzly in its tracks. 

nickelstick

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »
That's what I was thinking.....I plan to find out (eventually).....so I'm gathering intel before putting my but outthere!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:13:25 PM by nickelstick »

JB257460

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 02:51:34 PM »

personally, i would say the .300 Winny is marginal for Grizzly but just on the right side of the margin.  I'd feel better with a .300 Weatherby and better still with a .340....especially if there's a chance encounter with a big Brown bear.  200 grain premium bullet with the .300 and 250 grains with the .340.

nickelstick

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 02:55:30 PM »
I agree at some point (after the wife forgets about a $1100 gun with a $1300 scope) I will probably buy a .375
I see that a lot of interior guys bust griz with 300 winmags all the time.....Probable to small for brownie........but well place 300 should rip his life out, whatcha think?

mzimmers

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »
I don't speak from experience, but I've done a bit of book/online research on this, and I'd agree with JB257460. The word I would use for a 300 WBY is "adequate." As he said, a .340 is probably a better choice. If you go with the .300 Win., load it heavy and aim well.

nickelstick

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:57:32 AM »
I contacted a significant and reputable outfitter that has a brown bear reputation. I poised the question 300 win good for griz but to small for brownie's?  His response was excellent for brownie's hit proper, with heavy high grade bullet= no problem.
I think as a primary Alaska rifle 300 win mag......someday get a dedicated bear gun.  Most Alaskan's I chatted with (online) say I will fall in love with the winmag and not want anything else.  I'm getting an ior 3x18 scope, pricey but nicey.

Rod G

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »
Sure the 300 Win Mag will easily do the trick on any bear or big cat on this planet, I don't want to sound like a broken record but shot placement is the real key. I used a 300wsm on a alaskan brown bear and it was an immediate kill at 200 yards.  However, if you want to purchase another rifle, I have always found that I can somehow justify some kind of reason to add it to the collection.

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »
Yes you can but why?  For grizz go for a 340 and a heavy for caliber  premium bullet.  Grizz are large powerful, heavly muscled, dense tissued, big boned, and very tough. An enraged grizz can cover 100 yards in about 5 seconds with his lungs full of blood and running dead on his feet.  If you do not anchor him on the first shot he may go down, he may not. If he does go down when he gets back up he will be running in what ever direction his nose is pointing. If that direction is your direction you are now in deep kimchee my son. It will be at that precise moment in time that you will  wish you had a bigger gun in your hand instead of your johnson.  If he runs into the thick, now you got to have your marlbourgh moment and then go in and get em.  You do not want to do that. This is where things get real intense real fast. It is now time to break out the automatic 12 guage shotguns loaded with magnum slugs with short rifled barrels. Scoped rifles are  useless in the thick alder and devils club. Keep in mind if he is not dead he is back tracking you with one thought in mind, to kill you.
Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
eaglesnester

JB257460

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
Yes you can but why?  For grizz go for a 340 and a heavy for caliber  premium bullet.  Grizz are large powerful, heavly muscled, dense tissued, big boned, and very tough.  Keep in mind if he is not dead he is back tracking you with one thought in mind, to kill you.
Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Well said!  Anyone up for a little rabbit hunting instead?  ;D ;D  I agree with the .340 and that's exactly what I would use.  There's no better match for the .340 than a 250 grain Partition.  Remember, even though Grizzly, Brown, and Polar Bears are not the Big 5 in the African sense, they certainly are dangerous game and are the planets largest land dwelling carnivore.  Polar will hunt you with a purpose.  Humans, by the way, are made of meat  ;)

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 07:17:58 AM »
I would like to add to the previous post. Grizz are not in the big African big game 5, but they are arguably among the smartest, toughest , and most dangerous critters on planet earth.  You better be able to ring the bell every time at 200 yards off hand. Those that advocate hunting them with anything lighter than a 338 mag are putting themselves and their hunting partner in danger. Thats my story and I am sticken to it.
eaglesnester

Wlfdg

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »
I got charged twice yesterday by a sub-adult who was being,as they say, a "hooligan"! :o  On the first charge the bear covered about 120 yds. in about 6-8 sec. They look like a small car coming at you! On the second charge it ran through some very heavy underbrush and over a lot of deadfall as if nothing was there at all.  The first charge he stopped at about 20 yds., then came about 5 yds. closer in 3 bounds. The second charge he stopped about 10 ft.! away. He woofed,snorted and flaired his lips and nostrils. I was wishing I had a 12 gauge with 2 rds. of O buck and a magazine of slugs! All I had was a can of pepper spray and a trekking pole. This is my tenth and most aggressive encounter so far. They are huge, fast, agile creatures.

Z06Corvette500

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 08:29:40 PM »
The 300 win mag can kill a grizzly.180 will do the trick.You bust be on the money with your shot.At 100 yards the 300 win mag is moving 2,866 fps.And the hit power of 3,284 ft-lb. It will go right threw.You must hit the hart first shot.Just hitting it in the lungs will just piss it off.

nickelstick

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 11:51:35 PM »
Wow, this has been busy! Thanks for all the input, good stuff too. I agree Brownies deserve own weapon.
So what caliber (must be available in a Weatherby rifle) would you consider as excellent brown bear fodder? I like the idea of needing 2 weatherbys!
 Me thinks 375 H&H Magnum
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:20:37 PM by nickelstick »

sgtrock

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
Lots of hot stove talk about shooting big bears...but how much experience?

Funny, my dad spent time in the far north in the '50's, and felt that a 30-06 with 220 grain bullets was more than enough gun to take polar bears, which he did on more than one occasion.  The average male goes about 9 feet and 900 pounds - just as big as their brown cousins.  He also shot wood bison in the Fort Smith area, and the '06 did the trick on them, too.  Anyone using a .300 Win. Mag. with a heavy (200 gr. +) slug shouldn't feel undergunned, especially with the quality bullets we have these days.

That being said, if I was going bear hunting, I'd use my .338 Win. Mag., because I happen to own one.  But I wouldn't feel undergunned with my pre-64 M70 30-06 if I happened across a grizz in the pursuit of moose.  A distinct possibility where I live.