Spike Camp

Day 2 of Tn Season

DocHolladay

Day 2 of Tn Season
« on: April 03, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
Took me a couple of hours of slow walking to find them because of all the work that has been done to the property. The toms stayed in the shade and wouldnt come to where I was. I just watched them eat and dust. This jake came in behind me at about 6' and I had to spook him a little to get him to come around in front of me. Shot him at 15yds and almost missed because of my tight pattern at that distance, glad I had a red dot scope to help.

johnp034

Re: Day 2 of Tn Season
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »
I wasn't quite as successful.  Opening morning, 6:30 am,  had a nice tom come off the roost right to me, 30 yds., hit him with a 3 1/2" Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend load and rolled him A$$ over teakettle.  He never moved, i got up slowly, strutting with out re-loading to go  get my prize.  My prize saw otherwise and got up running like a scared fox in a forest fire!  By the time I racked another shell in the 835, all I saw was tail feathers going over the hill.  Never did get him. 

Moral of the story, don't count your Turkeys before they hatch!

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:54 AM »
Congrats on your bird Doc. Our season here in PA starts April 28th, I can't wait!
Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »
Great picture.Looks like all they have to eat is snow,no wonder they are tough. ;D I bet season is not open there yet,they seem to know when it is and then get cagey.Turkeys can some times be the dumbest birds and then at others the smartest things in the woods.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
Doc, congrats on the bird. Any Turkey is "trophy" in my book. How many more tags can you fill this spring? Up here in PA we have to wait until April 28 to hunt as Scott mentioned. I can't wait to get out.
Isaac

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
Nice Going Doc.
Are you done? Or can you shoot more than one?
Montana Man You should bust one of those and make some Turkey Jerky. Its sapost to be Tough and Chewy. Thats what im doing with last years bird to take up turkey hunting.
Mark

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »
Doc:You should video your next hunt like you did last year.
Roger

james7mmwby

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »
Good going, our season starts April 25 up here in Ontario. Being the Northern limit of wild turkey our hunts are not easy, but hopefully this years mild winter paid some dividends been seeing lots around.

James

DocHolladay

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
I have 3 more tags and until May 13th to do it. A buddy and I are planning to video a hunt, just havent done it. I have some property that the owner says I cant hunt until sometime around the week of April 15th. The property that I am hunting now, has had alot of work done to it and the birds arent talkin much. The other end of it has several jakes and a 2yr old. I dont want to shoot any of those birds. Ill get at it and get my limit and I hope to film at least 2 of them, we'll see.

trackskid

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 06:20:09 PM »
here's mine! what a great spring!

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »
Congrats.What gun,ammo,choke tube and call did you use?
Roger

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:29 PM »
Nice birds!!

We opened Apr 25 here in CT.  I got out the past 2 saturdays... first was dead quiet. Saw one hen and didnt hear any gobblers.  This past week had two old toms way up in a tree and there was nothing that would make them come down.  Teamed up with another club member and we called until they got spooked by a hawk and flew off.

This member was out on opening day.  He said all of a sudden the whole woods went quiet.  A few moments later he had something huge run in on him that he said was a grey wolf.  He said it was way bigger than his german sheppard and stopped about 20 yrds from him to check him out.  I talked with him, tongue in cheek, as he cried wolf and told his story.... but then he whipped out his cell phone and showed me the pic. I'm not an expert, but that didnt look like a coyote to me.  It sure was pretty cool though.  The DEP says there are no wolves or mountain lions in CT, but I keep hearing otherwise.  Pretty darned cool.  I'm hoping he'll send me a copy and I can post it.

DocHolladay

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »
Roger, I used the Haint Gobble Call and my trusty Daybreak slate call. I cutt with the new Down-N-Dirty diaphragm that Eddie Salter helped design. That is a great diaphragm. It is what struck up the conversation that had me using the slate and gobble call.