Spike Camp

What gun that you own has the most sentimental value to you?

Randazzle11

What gun that you own has the most sentimental value to you?
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:15:09 PM »
What gun or guns that your own have a special sentimental value to you. Like maybe your grandpa used it or it was your first gun. The one that is the most important to you.

Mine would be my Grandpas Old Savage .243 or My Browning BPS 20 gauge. My first gun

Magnum 7mm

Re: What gun that you own has the most sentimental value to you?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »
My Weatherby Lazermark 7mm.  I've taken many Whitetail deer and coyotes with it.  It's my pride and joy.  Since you said "Guns" I will add my 4" nickel Colt Python made in 1974 along with my Python 4" Bright stainless to the list.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:14:07 AM by Magnum 7mm »

Oregon Jim

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:05:24 AM »
I could say that my Dad's old single shot .22 rifle that he bought mail order from Sears when he was a boy... It fills my heart with joyful memories.

or I could say my Mark V .340 because it is my favorite hunting rifle... It has been my favorite shooter of all times.

or I could tell you it is the Winchester 30-30 that my son used to commit suicide that brings the most sentiment....... It just tears my heart out every time I see it, yet I cannot let it go. Sentimental qualities are not always happy ones.

Go hug your kids and tell them how much they mean to you.

54deg

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:28:58 AM »
I would have to say a j.c. Higgins(fn) model 50 in 30-06 my grandfather,father and myself have all taken deer with. Hopefully my daughter will this coming fall. After about 50 yrs this rifle still shoots groups an inch or under w/165sierra's hpbt's!  Its still one of my favorites as i shoot it all the time.

JohnAB

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:03:43 AM »
Would be my Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester in 270 Win. My dad bought it brand new in 1950. My dad shot a lot of game with it and I have too. November 30, 2006, my dad's 76 birthday, my dad and I sat there as the chemo doc told my dad he had 6 to 9 months to live. Dad was in the hospital at the time. I left latter on and headed home determined on that day, last day of whitetail hunting in Alberta, to shoot a whitetail buck with his gun. Fortunately for me I was able to harvest one with the gun and promptly retired it to the gun safe. Last time fired it harvested a whitetail and that is the way it will remain in honour of my dad who passed away the following February.

Will-Thumpem

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »
Without a doubt my .300 Wby Mag. In my family, hunting is supreme and we have always done so together. Every Sr. Male in the family shoots a .300 wm and swears by them, growing up I was not allowed to begin hunting until I was stout enough to pack a rifle up and down the hills all day of our South texas family lease, So at the age of 8, I was able to do so beginning with a 243, then few yrs later a hand me down parker hale .270 then an old 7mm, all of these guns considered 'pop' guns by my uncles and father.  When I graduated hs my Papa began a tradition as I was the oldest grandchild and gave me a LH 300 wby Accumark, (The first left handed gun I had ever fired, sure was hard to get used to). So I always felt like it was some form of a rite of passsage, like I was accomplished enough to be blessed w/ such a firearm.  Since, I have taken alot of game, crows, turkeys, wild hogs, a plethora of whitetails, mule deer, elk, and It will always remind me of our proud family traditions of hunting together, and how blessed I am to be able to have so many experiences. 

pogo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
By far my Browning .22 Trombone. Belgian built, 1920's. Used by 4 generations in our family. Still have two more kids to teach to shoot with it!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:42:53 PM by pogo »

dsking001

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
I would have to say my Marlin .22 my old man bought me when I was 13.  That trusty rifle has seen some tough days hunting squirrel and rabbit, but it still shoots great.  I've had the stock replaced on it and it looks great as will.

Dan

IH1566

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »
i have got to say to the shigrin of my kids my 270 smith and wesson LS is  my favorite

badsection

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »
My favorite is a S&W revolver my Father left to me.He bought it new for 22$ in 1949. It is the first gun I fired.

TheSollyLama

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »
Easily it's the Savage Model 24 I got from my dad. He bought it back in the early 50's and it was the first gun I ever shot.
The .22LR could safely handle all of the .22's including the Short, which I killed many a squirrel with. The .410 was a perfect beginners shotgun and as I improved as a shooter, the more I went to the .410 for a challenge.
It is even a short gun, that at a young age I could carry easily. Iron sights taught me to be a better shooter than alot of people that rely too heavily on scopes.

I wanted it to be the first gun my daughter shot too. But alas, I actually hunted with the gun and the striker plate broke off it, and the stock has finally split. I want to fix the gun up, but can't afford to mess with it right now.

But in the spirit of that legacy, I got my daughter a Rossi Matched Pair Youth model this year with a .22LR barrel and a .410 barrel.

Alot of my guns have been given to me, so they all have some sentimental value. My father still has 3 other guns I'll get when he dies, and all are vintage 1950's firearms.
And if I could only own one gun, it would be my Remington 870. That gun gets more use than all my others combined.

But that Model 24 is the thing that sold me on a lifetime of being obsessed with guns and hunting.

After years shooting the latest state of the art military weaponry, I find now that I'm out of the service I have little use for them and appreciate a fine wood grain stock and nice old school construction.

zon in wa st

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:54:57 PM »
Excellent idea for discussion.  My choice is easy, it is my dad's pre '64 model 70 .30-06.  He bought it new sometime in the late 50's.  He had a custom stock made for it that is very unique and fits him (and me) perfectly.  Dad is a poker player and the custom checkering includes a heart and spade checkered into the forestock.  Over the years the old boy made shots that I wouldn't even try, but he was so good with it that it only let him down once, and believe me the deer was on a dead run.  A few years ago he told me that he was done hunting and the rifle was now mine.  I can't accept this.  So I keep it in my safe, and look after it for him.  It will always be dad's rifle to me and grampa's rifle to my son.  When my son and I feel like we need to change our luck (like if we are having trouble finding deer during the season)  sometimes we throw it in the truck for the day. This rifle reminds me of the best of times, and if we take it with us on a trip it is kind of like having him with us so he can look after us and bring down the deer that we can't hit.  Dad is still around, he won't be forever though, this rifle, right down to the last little knick and scratch is the most priceless piece of art in my family, good thing I don't have any brothers and my sisters never got into hunting or there would be a huge argument over who gets the rifle.

markv

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
Before I was introduced to a Weatherby rifle:
Marlin 336 30-30.  First gun that my dad bought for me when I took up deer hunting.

After I was introduced to a Weatherby rifle:
A Southgate Weatherby (4-digit serial number) that I picked up at an auction chambered for the 270 wby.  I like to think at one time or another, Mr. Weatherby held this rifle.  Had it restored to hunt with.  Now all I can do is take it out of the safe and admire its beauty.

fireman_dave4

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 01:03:04 PM »
I inherited my Great Grandfather"s Winchester model 12, 20 ga shotgun. It has came through for me numerous times. I no longer use it since I have pleanty of other guns. Its only a matter of time before I hand it down to my granddson. I have to make sure he is responsable enough to have it ya know

Machinist

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »
My Belgium Made Browning Bolt Rifle in .3006 It was made in 1966 and Has shot a lot of game , My father used it for years passed it on to Me and it became my main hunting rifle then two years ago My Son shot his first moose with it .