Spike Camp

Primos Alpha Dogg caller

Primos Alpha Dogg caller
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:12:34 AM »
My wife ordered me an Alpha Dogg caller and a 350 yard spot light with a red lens filter. I hope  to do some night hunting this year for coyotes. Anyone use this caller and have any feedback. The light is also a Primos light and I was wanting to know if anyone has use one before also.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Re: Primos Alpha Dogg caller
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »
Chris: I'm a FoxPro fan as far as electronic callers go. If you want the best light for predator hunting, check out Coyote Light. Absolutely awesome, it was designed by a predator hunter for predator hunting. It allows for minimal movement, all you need is to rotate your wrist to scan for eyes. It's more expensive than most other lights, but it is the best thing out there.
http://www.coyotelight.com/
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
I got an alpha dog and I love it. Sounds are crystal clear and loud and the remote works good. When the sounds start getting scratchy, that's when you know the batteries are dying. I was amazed at how many sounds are pre-loaded to it already. Everything from alligator to moose.
Scott

zonie

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
It's probably an excellent call most hardcore callers here use foxpro in some variation and a combination of hand calls.   Once in a blue moon you will see someone with a wildlife technologies ma21   www.wildlifetech.com    One deceased friend had the older ma21 and it's unbelievable.   If I were going to buy one and money no abject it would be the ma21 for a couple reasons.  Clairity is is just flawless,  it's really loud if you want which here in our windy open conditions is an advantage,  most important there isn't very many  ma21's here,  I know of only a couple.   think especially coyotes get accustomed to certain calls if everyone is using a foxpro for instance.   I actually have  better luck with hand calls for this reason.  Of the predators I've called in  blk bear, mtn lions, coyotes,  bobcats, grey and kit fox ,  all with hand calls,  never a bear or mtn lion with an electronic.  I prefer the old wooden lohmans and plastic haydel's  gov'n hunter.    A couple buddies like a few other hand calls. 

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 12:40:21 PM »
Foxpro rules.Greenlights do also but also are very expensive.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
Well, I thought about the spitfire but my wife bought the Primos one for me as a surprise and because she is the best wife ever.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »
next year I want to get some freen lights. I have spot lighted fields before and have seen coyotes and as long as we were pretty far away they didn't seem to mind. How far can you usually get with an unfiltered light? I have not really hunted coyotes at night before.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:43:42 AM »
Seriously, check out coyotelight. It will light them up out to about 500 yards. Red light though, not green.
Isaac

zonie

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
I wish we were allowed to coyote night hunt in the unit where we live.   We are over run with coyotes around my house.       This last year G & F opened a couple of test hunting units  for night coyote hunting due to Antelope depredation none of the units are close to our house.   Years ago before any of these new fangled lights and decent electronic calls we would sit in the front yard with an old vietman era military flashlight the kind with red , amber, white removabale filters.  Slap in the red filter and   electrical tape the flashlight to a shotgun barrel and start  hand calling.  Surprising these coyotes were pretty uneducated to red lights and would come well within shotgun range and just hover around trying to figure out what it was we were doing until they fell over.    Those day's for us are long gone due to regulations.