Spike Camp

Just because handguns don't get enough love around here...

More eye candy, since I had the camera out taking pictures. Twin 1911's (as if I need to tell you savvy folks that...  ;D )

Side A:

Side B:

The one on the right in both pics is a Rock Island Armory Tactical, the other is a Springfield Armory Loaded. Both are .45 cal. Both sets of grips were carved by Esmeralda, made of Ivory wood. Mixed 'n matched, cause I thought it looked neat. The words on the crosses are Veritas (Truth) and Aequitas (Justice).

Re: Just because handguns don't get enough love around here...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »
Cool.Are both the grips from Esmeralda?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
Yes sir, they are. She's become my go-to for 1911 grips. Not that I buy those often. The guns that go with em get awful pricey. But I do advertise for her every half chance I get. Wonder if the folks in the Ruger thread know the name...she makes grips for their single actions  ;D

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »
Very nice.  One of these days I need to break down and buy the 1911 in 10mm I've always wanted.  Getting harder to find, though.  I'd have the cross grips, maybe, on it.  Very nice.  Truth and Justice are certainly appropriate.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
Duby I think Kimber still makes a stainless target II verion in 10mm.    It's a wonderful caliber mine is a  stainless colt delta elite.  I highly suggest when you do get  a 10mm is buy a bunch of good magazines.   I like  the McCormick shooting star mags.    The nice thing about the 10mm in a gov'n model is it can be re-springed for lite loads so you don't have to fight with a 22-24 lb recoil spring if you choose not to.  I have wilson springs down as lite as 8 lbs.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize recoil springs came that light. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise with things like .22 conversions and all the other potential custom options though.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
Marshal,   usually you  can find recoil springs for popular  auto's,  I know Glock has different recoil springs  ,  but lets concentrate on 1911 goverment models.    I shoot a 10mm Delta and a stock spring for that auto when I bought it was a double recoil spring at approx 22 lbs.   I converted it over to a full length guide rod  and I bought several different weight springs  with the intention to just  barely make ipsc major power factor.  In factory form it's way to powerful for this game, the original wt springs are designed to function with these heavy loads without the gun beating itself to death.   If you took a box stock 1911 in 45acp it's almost always either a 15 ot 16 lb recoil spring for use with factory rated heavy loads.   That being said to just fun practice loads  you don't need to use these heavy loads and with the ability of lighter springs to make the gun function as it should.   If I took a 140 grain really lite load 10mm and tried to shoot it with a stock 22-24 lb spring it wouldn't have enough power to cycle the slide and jam every time.  On the flip side if I took a factory or one of my heavy 10mm  handloads regardless of bullet weight and shot it with an 8 lb spring it would cause the slide to slam back really fast and eventually damage the gun even with shock buffs installed.    What I try to do is match the bullet weigh and velocity for the game I'm playing.   To shoot fast without a ton of recoil  I will choose a 155 grain bullet,  and drop down to a 12 -14 lb spring and have fun.   Basically it's a 40 cal lite at this point.    When I'm not playing I reinstall a 22 lb  spring because I use the gun also when hiking and want max power loads.    You can do the same thing with a 45acp and drop down  spring weight from max + p loads if the gun is rated for + P,   to very lite fun practice 155  to 180 -185 grain bullets with quite a lot less recoil.    Some 45's will shoot the cast 155's and some will not,  it's a really stubby bullet and the gun will either cycle or not and that depends on feed ramp polish and to a certain extent how you seat the bullets and what power factor with the ability to cycle the slide.  In other words you may have to bump up the load a little to get the gun to cycle and eject correctly with too heavy a spring.  Watch what powders you use don't be putting in very slow burning pistol powders with a lite spring keep with a fast powder something like win 231.      It's very easy to do just pick a starting  accurate  load with a lite bullet and try different weight springs until it cycles every time without jamming.   It's probably safest to start with a heavier spring first and work down in weight until the fun functions properly.    Don't go too lite  on you loads of course.   I don't re-spring my series 70 and leave it stock, but friends re-spring theirs,  I stick with re-springing the 10mm because that's the one I shoot the most.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »
I'm a mechanic, not a gunsmith, but all the same I kinda had a sinking suspicion the purpose of a lighter spring was to allow the gun to function with a lighter load. I guess it does befuddle me as to why you'd want to cut the load in half...but then again a recoil spring is about $8.00? Somewhere in that neighborhood.  A .22 conversion for a 1911 almost costs as much as my Rock Island did. So I guess if you handload it's a better trade off. And swapping the spring is every bit as easy as applying the conversion.

Good stuff to know. I doubt I'll apply it because the standard 230 grain stuff is more than enough fun for me. But you never know...I am a tinkerer. I didn't plan to tweak the heavy trigger pull on the Springfield until someone on a forum told me all it took was a little bend in the mainspring. Next thing you know it's gnawed away at the back of my mind until I've got all the pieces of the gun strewn all over my bench and I'm playing with the spring to see what happens.

I did do my due diligence first though. Checked out what could go wrong (a lot), and how to know if it went wrong before making a trip to the range. I also wasn't going super light, I just wanted it to match the 4-5 lb pull the RIA had. For some odd reason, that model Springfield comes with more like a 6-7 lb pull. Guaging by feel I'd say closer to 7 than 6 at that.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
Marshal ,¬  ¬ several ways to look at it.¬  my wife won't shoot a full power 10mm, 45 acp or 44 mag,¬  but if I download she's a happy camper.¬  She prefers a 9mm auto or¬  a std weight revolver in 38 spec.¬  I like shooting them also.¬   It's another option. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:29:28 PM by zonie »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »
For me, lighter loads in my handguns serve three purposes.  First, they are lighter on the wallet - cast lead bullets and less powder and longer brass life.  Second, they allow me to shoot a lot more without getting tired.  After 100rds of 38Spl wadcutters I'm fresh as a daisy, as opposed to after 100rds of full-house 357Mag and I'm ready for a beer and a chair, so to speak.  Third reason is related to the second, and the main reason I initially tried reduced loads.  I find reduced loads to offer an opportunity to perfect my trigger pull and breathing, without all the noise and recoil of the heavy stuff.  So I can shoot 50-100rds of the lighter stuff, finish the day with 10-20rds of the heavy stuff and I'm confident and comfortable.  Plenty of people don't work on trigger pull with a handgun.  I worked so hard with my 357Mag revolver (Taurus Model 65 4") that I was, when well practiced, able to hold 6 shots inside 1.5" at 25yds, from a modified Weaver stance, shooting the revolver double action.  I could never have gotten that good with the DA trigger pull shooting full-house magnum loads.  I just can't focus as much on trigger pull and breathing and so forth with the heavier loads.  Forming the muscle and sensory memory transfers from the lighter loads to the heavier loads easily.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »
Yea, I'll agree with ya there Dubyam. When I head to the indoor range I like to check out other folk's groups that are shooting at the same distance I am. I'm not the best marksman, typically have a group of 4-6" @ 10-15 yards. Last time I went was exceptional, just under 3" so I guess it's time to step it out a bit.

But at the same time, I've only seen a handful of people pulling tighter groups. Seems like a lot of folks know how to point the gun and pull the trigger, but they don't practice grip or stance, much less trigger control and breathing. Up til about 3 or 4 months ago I was doing dry fire practice 30 minutes to an hour a day. I need to get back into that routine before the flinch I worked so hard to eliminate returns.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
I have one of the first Delta Elites in the blued version.  I love it and it shoots like a house on fire.  In my opinion the 10mm doesn't get the respect it deserves.  All around it's a great caliber and true powerhouse. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
Chris +1  the 10mm doesn't get the respect it deserves.   

Marshal,   If you can find a Hensley & Gibbs  200 grain  # 68 bevel base cast bullet mold ,  using bullseye powder,  it's  been a pretty standard bulls eye load in the 45 acp,  keep the velocity around 800 fps.    There are other loads of course this is a really good one.   If you can't find a H & G mold ,  not to worry most larger cast bullet makers make these bullets and readily available.   Magma Engineering  makes probably 90 percent of these molds for the big bullet casting companies.

I would start with a 200 grain bevel base sized .452  for ease of re-loading.   Magma also makes a 175, 180, 185 and 200 grain based on the  #68 mold , and a 180 gr in flat base.    I like win 231,  although bullseye powder is great and the one I would recommend to start.   

The down side with these semi wad cutter style bullets either the gun will feed them or it won't.   If it doesn't feed might look at a ramp polish. 

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
I think the 10mm's popularity is creeping up there. It's got some stiff competition though...pretty hard to pry die hards off their 9 mm and/or their .45s to try something new. Myself included...I'm a little stubborn, don't like anything that's followed by the "mm" suffix. But the more I read about the 10mm, the more I'm tempted to the dark side.

Zonie: I'll keep that in mind. When I finally get a reloading setup I'll probably start with .45 rounds. I'd rather make my mistakes with a smaller round and a cheaper gun lol. Teh feed ramps on both those guns were polished at the facory. I think worst case the RIA might need the barrel throated, but I'll burn that bridge when I cross it.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
Gentlemen,
At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I'd like to ask a question: Is the .40 caliber a 10mm?  I've always thought it was, due to the fact that THINK I read that somewhere. 
I currently own two Springfields in .40: an XDm full size, and an XD compact with a Crimson Trace laser.  I absolutely love the Springfields, and in my humble opinion, the .40 caliber is the very best 'all around' handgun round.
Just my opinion- that and a half dollar would buy you a cup of coffee in some places.  Thanks- ;)
Gentleman Hunter
"The one true passion never tarnished by modern times."