Spike Camp

Just because handguns don't get enough love around here...

james7mmwby

Re: Just because handguns don't get enough love around here...
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2012, 06:02:29 AM »
tadder,

I am no hand gun expert. Of the three you mentioned I have handled and fired them all. I like the feel of the SR9 in my hand the best, so I guess thats why I picked that one. I have had it for a little over three years and it has never malfunctioned, about 2000 + rounds through it. It is also lefty, righty friendly. Other guys I know like the Sprinfield or M&P better. Guns are personal things. so whatever works for you. I like mine just fine.

James

Marshal_

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »
A buddy of mine has an XD in 9mm. I don't have any experience with the SR9 or M&P. But I've handled the XD enough to know I like it more than most of the other newer models. It fits my hand pretty good, the trigger feels pretty good, and it's more accurate than I am. I can't say how lefty friendly it is, I didn't think to check out that aspect.

My only complaints with it is the excessivly wide trigger, which is a necessary evil with the trigger safety mechanism. And the fact that it's a DA/SA trigger. I'm spoiled, the clean break of a SA is a must-have.

glocknmiller

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
Tadder,
I participated in  USPSA for several years and shot in the production class. This class was primarily set up for the safe action (plastic) guns. I started out with an XD9 but quickly moved to a Glock 17.  This was due entirely to the availability of aftermarket parts. I, like Marshal have the tinkering bug.
Over the course of a year I managed to convert the 17 from its stock form to a full blown production racer. The 1911 platform, by the way, dominates all the other classes except revolver. 
I've seen the M&P, the XD9 and the Glocks in action under this format and the all have their quirks.  Choose one like your buying shoes.  Shoot what feels best in YOUR hand, unless your going to shoot USPSA or IPSC, then buy a Glock. This coming from a former Glock hater. ;D

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
I love my Glock.  I've been using it for about 20yrs now.  It isn't pretty, nor is it fancy, but it does exactly what it's supposed to do, every time, without complaint.  And it will do that bone stock (mine has only had a Hogue Handall grip sleeve added - and mine is a GenII Model 23, btw).  My boss and a couple of coworkers went to the range yesterday afternoon for a "team building" exercise.  I was the only one with any handgun experience, so I did some impromptu teaching.  My female coworker from the Boston area was naturally good once she got the sight picture issue sorted out.  She enjoyed herself immensely.  My boss shot a rented Sig 9mm (not sure what model) and it was not good for him.  I test fired it and hit the target, but he had major issues.  Then he shot my Glock, and got all 13rds on target in about a 6" circle at 15yds.  Not bad for a first time handgunner.

The advice about buying like you'd buy shoes is wisdom.  Find the right "fit" for you.  Go to a range that rents guns, and try a ton.  Try 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP.  You'll know which one after that.

I can't speak highly enough of Glock.  Great gun, easy to operate, low maintenance, and tough as nails.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

Marshal_

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
The issue I take with glock is mostly ergonomic. Doesn't feel right in my hand. Aside from that same complaints as the XD. Double Action trigger & trigger safety/ wide trigger.  Beyond that I'll agree with Dubyam. Great guns, just not for me.

badsection

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
I`m with you,Marshal. I have large hands and the Glock just didn`t fit well. Yes, it worked fine and it was accurate. I traded it for a generator last hurricane here :)  I have a H&K  USP.40 S&W that just feels better to me. The 1911 Commander fits even better.With it`s 3lb trigger extra crisp,it`s my favorite auto-loader. I had a Ruger P89 9mm that I sold a while back. With it`s doudle stack magazine,that fit well, too. The trigger on that had  a mile of take-up but always fired,never jammed. Clean or dirty,any ammo,it was not picky. My dad had me shooting his .38 S&W snubbie before I was 10. I recently bought a S&W Model 29 nickel 4" barrel 6 shooter. I load for all my hangun calibers,BTW. I`m with James,whatever works best for you is the way to go.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:50:07 AM by badsection »

zonie

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
Chris,  picture #3 in Clints left hand shows what looks like modern centerfire cartridges and a firing pin hammer in his gun hand.    I've read there were conversions and slight design changes even as far back as the civil war into the 1870's.    I really don't know and something you probably need to do more research on to get the exact model you are looking for.  

badsection

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »
I carry my Taurus 2"barreled .41 mag as "backup" while hog hunting here in FL. Saved my behind once,so far. Shot a 200+ lb charging boar hog at 3' with it. Chosing the right ammo saved my bacon ;D ! I had blood spatter on my boots from that! I had 250gr cast core Federals loaded. I will use those again for any silly critter getting in range of that gun.