Spike Camp

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® DGR Dangerous Game Rifle

Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® DGR Dangerous Game Rifle
« on: July 27, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
Our Mark V® Dangerous Game Rifle is designed for the person who makes their living as a professional hunter or the hunter who is serious about their pursuit of dangerous game. No nonsense design and dependable performance are the hallmarks of this working rifle. It features a hand-laminated, raised comb, Monte Carlo composite stock (a combination of Aramid, graphite unidirectional fibers and fiberglass), with a CNC-machined aluminum bedding block, combined with our legendary, short bolt lift, Mark V action and a chrome-moly Criterion™ barrel by Krieger™. As with all Weatherby® stocks, our cast off design allows for perfect eye-to-sight alignment, a feature even more important on a rifle used for dangerous game. Black oxide matte finish on all metalwork reduces reflection and glare, hand-honed action, damenscened bolt and follower, and checkered bolt knob. An adjustable ramp, shallow gold-filled “V” rear and hooded barrel band front sight with large gold bead provide for immediate sight alignment and target acquisition. A Pachmayr® Decelerator® recoil pad reduces felt recoil and rounds out this distinctive rifle.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:30:51 PM by webmaster »

Brian

Re: Discuss the Weatherby Mark V® DGR Dangerous Game Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:41:02 PM »
I have looked long and hard at a DGR in .458 lott...Do I need it? No.  The chances of me ever getting to to go Africa are small but I still want one just to have.  Can I get one in camo???

skyline

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 05:33:11 AM »
375 hh............if you go to the Custom Shop page and then click on custom shop it shows you several models of the DGR. It comes in a couple of camo choices.

The .458 Lott is a good cartridge.

skyline

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 07:38:46 AM »
What I would like to see is a DGR that is for professional hunters in North America. Those of us that guide in the north where we guide for brownies, grizzlies and polar bears or may have to deal with problem bears while guiding for moose, caribou or what have you....................have a hard time finding models that suit our needs.

A full stainless/synthetic version of the DGR might be quite popular with northern guides. At present we pretty much have to go custom as we can't get what we want......and try and find a good set of stainless express sights and barrel band, as are on the DGR.

Ruger's new Alaskan is being bought by a few, but many........such as myself, do not care for the Ruger. You are also limited to the .375 Ruger.

Just an idea.

Aliakber kassam

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
460 weatherby magnum:This is a must have rifle(catridge) for a serious big game hunter especially when hunting africa's dangerous game for istance facing a wounded cape buffalo or elephant, it is the ultimate pounder.....the ultimate stopper.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:38:43 PM by Aliakber »

iamgene

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
Have a  460 DGR.  Couple of things I have done- replaced the stock (too short- even the Deluxe has a 14" LOP) with a B/C Medalist (WBY profile, black and gray web with Merc reducer) with proper LOP and glassed in the front recoil lug.  I found the muzzle brake effective but much too loud (with plugs and muffs).  Using without the muzzle brake, the new stock setup fits like a glove and actually very comfortable.  Practice loads with Remington 405 grainers, full power 500 grain loads very manageable.  Typical WBY accuracy , superb trigger, offhand is deadly on the 150 meter metal. Open sights and stock design allow fast target acquisition.  This one is going overseas on my next trip, broken down along with my M03 in a 38" case.

AlaskaDon

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »
I too would like to see the 378 in a shorter barrel, Alaskan Guide model.  Maybe we could get together and have the custom shop build 100ea of the weapon we would like to see and re-sell them as a "Special Alaskan Guide Edition"??  Next fall I will take mine to the Peninsula after a world record Brown Bear we saw this spring!!

Steven Lee McArthur

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 04:44:25 AM »
I just want to pose a question to whomever might want to answer. It seems most of you guys on this site are what I consider professional guides/hunters. I guess I would be considered a novice at best in comparison. Ive been a hunter for I guess nearly 30 years and Ive only had the opportunity to bear hunt maybe 5 times. My first encounter with a black bear came in 1986 while deer hunting. He and I crossed paths at about 10 yards and I had a Marlin 30-30 strapped on my shoulder which at that time didnt seem much protection. For some reason the site of me didnt send him scampering off into the woods either. He held his ground as I backed off still facing him as he huffed and lowered that big block head moving it side to side. He never advanced but he didnt budge either. I have since been hunting with a Weatherby 300 Magnum which I love and have several whitetail kills with. I was wondering is the Weatherby DGR .375 a good bear rifle or is it intended for guides not for the actual hunter. Do you think my 300 Mag is plenty for black bear hunting?               Steve McArthur

John

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »
Steve,
  The venerable .375 has taken LARGE game around the world, most with just one shot. I personally have two Alaskan Brown bears that have fallen to the .375.  However I would not feel as if I was undergunned with the .300.  Caliber selection is such a personal thing I always hesitate on recomending anything to anyone.  I can say its always a good idea to try something way in advance of a hunt before you decide.  Confidence and comfort is way more important than what somebody else says is the be all gun.  No sense in using a sledge hammer if you cant wield it effectively.
ALMOST DANGEROUS

Mike378

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
I would like to see the DGR come with all steel bottom metal as opposed to the aluminium.

Plains99

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »
I have used this rifle in .458 Win Mag and really liked its overall appearance, handling qualities, and accuracy. 

kbs270

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
I think the barrels are to long.No PH is going into the brush after a hurt animal with a 28 inch barrel! I like everything else about the rifle.

GrampaDavie

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
According to the  specs list for the DGR they have a 24" barrel on all models.

Wbypoor

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 05:28:04 AM »
My DGR has a 24" barrel, as they all do.  If you hunt with the Accubrake it will add some length as well.