Spike Camp

40 S&W ?

Re: 40 S&W ?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
I think you're on the right track with the Sig.  If the gun feels good and you're confident in it that is a major step because you'll shoot and handle it far more than a gun you don't like.  One other thing that I can't over state is practice, practice, practice, and practice more.  When it comes to self defense your family's lives and your life is on the line.  This is worlds away from the range and hunting, if you have to resort to this gun someone obviously doesn't give a damn about you or your loved ones.  Also you need to know how that gun works without question or thought.  One drill I tell my students to do is, FIRST MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED, CHECK IT, CHECK IT, and CHECK IT AGAIN, and while watching tv hold the gun and dry fire it.  This will get you use to the trigger pull, it doesn't cost anything and will save you money in the long run.  You don't need the gun to go bang to get the feel of the trigger.  Another thing you can do, again MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED, is put a target on the wall and practice aiming and dry firing the gun at the target.  This will get you use to the sights and trigger pull while aiming.  The best part is it doesn't cost a penny to do this, well other than the target and a thumbtack.  I have seen good results with students that have done this.  Some thought it was crazy but in the end when they were on the range we would see their scores go up.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

Jim

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
Another 40 S&W fan here. Mine is a SA XD40.

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »
Hi Folks,
 I have a glock 22  with a stainless steel match grade barrel from lone wolf, it's about a inch longer cause it is made for a model 35. If you study the tables for the glock it out performed a .45 acp by means of ft/ PS and energy. After over twenty years in the US army as a rifle and pistol marksmanship instructor. I really shot well, the .45 acp was a big slow heavy bullet. Made for the Moro wars, philippine tribe of warriors that laughed at .38 spl and proved the .45  very well,  it was a force to be reckoned with. The .40 has close to 9 mm speed and more energy
 It's a hotter round than the .45. Having shot many pistols over time, I for one will pick a .40 s&w.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 04:29:57 PM by chambers bd »

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
A friend of mine just recently bought a Sig P226 TACOPS described as follows:
The SIG SAUER® P226® Tactical Operations is a full-sized 9mm, .40S&W and .357SIG, featuring a stainless steel slide with rugged, wear-resistant Nitron® finish, front cocking serrations and SIGLITE® rear night sight, a TRUGLO® Tritium Fiber Optic front sight and features the Short Reset Trigger or SRT. SIG engineers designed the SRT to provide you the same great safety and smooth action of the SIG DA/SA with a comfortable reset that is 60% shorter for faster trigger return and surgical control during high speed shooting. The beavertail frame is black hard anodized light weight alloy with integral Picatinny rail and polymer Magwell grips. The pistol comes with four (4) 20 round super capacity magazines so it’s ready to see action. The SIG SAUER P226 tactical Operations pistol is backed by SIG SAUER with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
If I could afford one, thats what I would get. The last time I shot a semi-auto was a 40 S&W about 3 years back. It was a Springfield XD with a match grade barrel and I thought that was a nice pistol and the recoil wasn't bad at all. But this Sig 9mm was a dream to shoot. Right out of the box at 15 yds from a sand bag rest, my groups stayed about 1 and 1/2 inches(minus a flyer here and there, my fault) and I was surprised since I'd not shot in a while. We shot 115 and 124 gr FMJ and never had a hiccup, slow or rapid fire. As long as you kept the rear sight level and centered in the front sight, I'm thinking theres a lot of guys that could shoot it a lot better than me, if I could do it.(I'm basically an old school revolver guy, 357) There have been huge strides made in defensive ammo for the 9mm and a lot of this ammo stays together, expands, and penetrates about 13 to 14 inches. Believe me todays ammo is nowhere near the the ammo that got a bad rap 10 or 15 years ago for being lame. I would not feel under gunned and would not want to be on the receiving end of a 9mm. I guess you'd have to shoot it yourself to for the experience, and i know that not all Sig models feel the same or respond the same to everyone, but this one was the easiest and most comfortable pistol I've ever shot. I'm not putting the Kibosh on any other brands or models, cause I know that there are a lot of great shooting pistols out there. This was just a great experience for me.
DosEquisShooter

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Danno, I have to agree with you, Sig pistols are great defensive weapons and they shoot great.  They are not cheap by any means, but you have a quality pistol when you get one.  I have a 226 in 9mm & a 229 in 40S&W & 357 Sig (it has interchangeable barrels). Once you get used to their trigger pull, the rest is easy.  I carry them and I can conceal them very easily.  They are heavier than Glocks, but with a good holsters/belt I carry any of these two pistols all day long.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »
Oscar, the new trigger system is what made it so sweet, what they call the "Short Reset Trigger" or SRT is what is new on this TACOPS pistol..QUOTE,  "SIG engineers designed the SRT to provide you the same great safety and smooth action of the SIG DA/SA with a comfortable reset that is 60% shorter for faster trigger return and surgical control during high speed shooting. I felt like the reset also gave me a little more time to aim during slow fire drill.(if that makes sense) Of the 21 P226 models available on the website, only 5 models come with the SRT. 
DosEquisShooter

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »
Got it.  My two Sigs are about 8-9 years old, and they have the long double action trigger.  I'm sure that short trigger is sweet.  When I shot 1911s in competition, I had a huge learning curve to learn how to shoot Glocks & Sigs, but I got used to them it was like second nature. :)

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 08:43:27 AM »
Shot that Sig Tacops 9mm again yesterday and it looks like I'm going to have to start saving for my own Tacops along with the MK V I'm saving for.
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
Sounds like the bug has bitten you Dan. ;D Always fun to get a new toy.I will have to check one out.I really like the idea of the trigger.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 09:37:04 AM »
Yeah Roger, Guess I got bit by the SIG Bug and I don't usually take the carrot after the first bite.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:48:33 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter