Spike Camp

Southgate 270

stevenm2

Southgate 270
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Since I've got the .270 Southgate Mauser I have been doing some research.
Is it certain the Barrel is a 1.12" twist? The info I have found refers to the German built weatherbys and I am not certain this includes the Southgate Mausers.
What is the heaviest bullet I can shoot reliably with it?
I have a Steens Tag for Mule deer. Starts late this Month. A difficult tag here in Oregon to get.There are some nice bucks but I have been told you really have to work for them. This rifle is considerbly lighter than the 300 wby. So naturally I want to use it.
 I really do not have the time to work up a load for this rifle. Has anyone used the 130 GR. Norma  weatherby factory ammo on deer? How did it perform on Deer sized critters?
I bought three boxes mostly for the brass but if it works good for deer I will use it.
Given the nature of how I came upon this rifle I am very motivated to use it on this hunt however I just do not know much about it.
I would appreciate any information you guys could share with me.

eford

• View Profile
Re: Southgate 270
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
Congrats on getting the old Weatherby.

If it were me, I would try out those 130gn Norma-loaded bullets ASAP to find out how they group. If they work well enough for your needs, then go to the field with them because that weight of bullet is plenty to bring down deer.  The time to find out your sights / scope are messed up is before you try to bring home a buck.

Save the brass. Reloads for it will be a lot cheaper than buying store ammo ----- nothing against it, but unless you're living in a money forest the cost matters (eventually).
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

stevenm2

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »
I agree, The rifle will be sighted in prior to going into the field.
 I am ready to start reloading for this cartrige but I do not have enough time before this hunt. Still looking for dies but I am afraid I will need to get them from Midway.None of the locals had them in stock.
 I had to remove the scope and mounts as the rear screw was rubbing on the bolt. Once I shortened the rear screw the action was smooth as can be.

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
I bet that the Southgate 270 has a faster twist than the German built Mark V.  Even if your pressed for time I bet you that H4831 or RL-22 would both be a fairly easy deal to work up a good load in a short time with. 

Chip

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
My Brother use to use Norma brand loaded ammo in .340 Weatherby Magnum and it grouped very well.  I never used the Norma .270 Weatherby Magnum ammo, when I used factory ammo I used the Weatherby brand 130 grain spire points.  The are an amazing bullet, super accurate and never had to take a second shot on any deer, it drops them in their tracks.  In my experience and from what I've read, the .270's most accurate weight bullet is the 130 grain, which is what it was designed with.  Good luck with your hunt and rifle.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

stevenm2

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the input. There does not seem to be a lot of info on the Norma 130 bullet.
I leave the 27th. My ammo shows up on the 11th. I will let you know how it does on paper.

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »
Do you have a cleaning rod with a ball bearing rotating handle? If so, insert a tight patch on a jag and once it engages the rifling, measure how far it travels for one revolution.  That's your twist rate, no speculation.
=S=
Do it right, and do it right the first time.

stevenm2

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »
I did check and it is confirmed (checked it twice) it is a 12" twist
Nosler says 130 gr max to "reliably stabilize"
Barnes says 110 max for the ttsx
Has anyone here shot heavier bullets with the 12" twist?
130 gr. seems light for elk maybe should consider this rifle for Deer sized game. 

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 05:34:01 AM »
Find out for yourself what the twist rate is.Use a clening rod to see.The 130's will be fine in it if it is 1 in 12 which is what it is more than likely.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.