Spike Camp

Coyote attacks girl

Lone Pine

Coyote attacks girl
« on: September 21, 2012, 05:40:44 AM »
A 16 year old girl walking along a railway track on her way to school,in eastern Nova Scotia, was attacked from behind by a coyote. She was knocked to the ground and tried to protect her face from the coyote which scratched her. At a nearby railway crossing, a motorist saw the attack and blasted his horn which distracted the coyote. The girl was able to get away to safety. Authorities are looking for the coyote. Have you encountered coyotes in your travels or while hunting?

badsection

Re: Coyote attacks girl
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
I`ve seen them here in Florida while hunting hogs. If I shoot one or a bobcat,I get free hunting where I usually pay $200 only if I kill a hog. No shot available,yet! Most of my hunting is on a dairy/cattle ranch and the coyotes take a calf now and then. The story is coyotes are in 49 states,HI. excluded.   

Oregon Jim

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
We have lots of them around here, but it is rare to see one. Those foolish enough to hang out in public view don't last long. There are occassional encounters. One walked right up to a friend, getting to withing five or six yards before my friend shot him with a handgun. Dumb dog... One howled near me one afternoon while I was hunting, and seconds later the howls of dozens came from the surrounding hills. It was shocking to realize how many were out there.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:58:24 AM »

Lots of them in Texas.We use callers when we  hunt them and we can hunt at night with lights .I hear them howling almost every night at my home.One pack will howl in one direction and then another in a different direction.Lots of picts on game cam when they come to the feeder either  eating the corn or looking for other animals to eat.A few bobcats as in the above picture also.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »
There was a pack up in one of my hunting spots a few years ago.  I called them but never go them in close to shoot.    Last year the seem to have disappeared.  There was a wolf sighting in the same spot this year.  I've seen more coyote in the city than i have out hunting in the woods.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
Twenty years ago and longer ago than that, there were lots of coyotes in west Kansas. As a kid I would hear them howling across the pasture at each other. While there are far fewer than there once were, it is not so strange to see on in the daylight hours. Coyotes can be hunted year-round in Kansas and you can even shoot from your vehicle (legally), as long as you have a basic hunting license.

A few years ago a friend had a coyote walk up on him in broad daylight as he was working on a vehicle. It was quickly shot. Coyotes coming up on people in the daytime is a bad thing as rabies is a real concern, not to mention the possibility of a straight-out attack.

Starting in the Great Depression county sherriff's would pay citizens in cash for the ears of coyotes brought to the sherriff's office.  The program ended a long time ago. I think it started in the 1930s as a way to cut down on the predators taking the very valuable livestock from the cash-strapped farmers and ranchers.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

badsection

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
I`m kinda waiting to see coyote in my neighborhood, since the story is the feral pythons are eating all the small mammals here.  Haven`t seen any of those at all, YET.    :)

Lone Pine

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
76 Registered coyotes were harvested in our  two local counties last year along with those shot by hunters or the ones that chewed off their snares. Over  270 coyotes were registered in the far central region of nova Scotia . Far more rabbits, birds and other animals are now evident with the drop in the coyote population. Six were taken on my property and the surrounding area including a 54.5 pound male and another male shot at the doorstep of a female jogger's home. It followed her home and the lady's husband shot it. Last year the coyotes surrounded my home several times in the summer, and made such a racket  we were very leery of venturing out. They did this up to five times a day including mid day. They don't do that anymore.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
Coyotes are pretty rampant in my area.  I get pictures of them on my trail cams all the time.  When they howl around my house they drive my dog nuts.  A neighbor down the road from me has lost three house cats after coyotes carried them away.
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife".
Daniel Boone

Lone Pine

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 07:45:35 AM »
The authorities are recommending that anyone who encounters a coyote should talk loudly, look bigger by raising one's arms and move away. Do you believe this is the best reaction to a coyote  or a pack of coyotes approaching you?

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 08:10:47 AM »
Rasing your arms up and making yourself look bigger to the coyote might work. I wouldnt' bet on it, especially if I had a shotgun or a pistol with me. We came upon a small den of 'yotes on a pheasant hunt and the coyotes scattered fast, in every direction, but there were many shots fired at them and we got one for sure, maybe two.

I would not hesitate to fire on a wolf, but I've never seen a wolf in the wild.

In March 2010, I saw two really weird dog-like things. There were two dark brown animals that had a lot of long hair and were much larger than a mature coyote. They were within a mile of a place that has large herd of sheep, and when I first saw these big things I thought they might be sheep dogs, so I didn't shoot. I had a clear view of them in my binos. Killing your neighbors sheep dogs is a bad thing. I never found out if the neighbors had large brown sheep dogs, but maybe I will.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Marishka

• Cancelled bear hunt so I could get this
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »
In my experience, Coyotes like to come out after dark. They seem to stay hiddeen during dayligh t hours if anywhere near humans  Glad to not hear that it was infected with Rabies.
NRA Endowment
MkV 22-250
MkV 270 + 2 270 wby stainls
MkV 308
MkV 270-300 Wby
MkV Alas 375 H&H
MkV 257 Wby fluted stainls barrel
MkV 7mm Wby stainls UL
MkV 300 Wby stainls x 2
MkV 30-378 Wby
MkV 340 Wby
MkV 375 Wby x 2
MkV 378 Wby
MkV 416 Wby
1899 Ithaca Hammerless
Guarini OU
Orion OU
M1 Carbine wa

Chip

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
I have seen plenty of them in the daytime.  Never known them to bother people here. They can get pretty good sized around here up to 70 pounds from what the DNR folks say. Biggest one I know of for a fact around my area was 55 pounds.  I don't know that one of that size would be too afraid of a person.  A 75 gr HP out of a 6mm Rem takes the starch out of them pretty good and then they don't bother anything.