Spike Camp

Ammo recommendations please ?

Ammo recommendations please ?
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:13:20 PM »
newbie shotgunner here ... been spending many hours online comparison shopping, and would like to hear from some experienced folks ... been hearing the lead-free ammo, tho higher priced, is worth its cost when you look at how much more lead-free meat there is left on the critter, cuz the pellets don't fragment as much ... some are so small you wouldn't feel, see or taste them, but ingesting them is bad news neurologically (this is why lead was removed from paint, cuz kids eat the chips off the window sill) ... so what'r y'all using out there, preferred pellet size, 2-3/4 or 3" (planning on buying a SA-459 TR), which mfr's are good or crappy, and whatever else you think I should know but don't yet know enuf to ask ...???  Thanks for reading !
Freedom is NOT FREE !
For yours, THANK A VETERAN !

Re: Ammo recommendations please ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
What are you going to be hunting?  If you're hunting waterfoul you are restricted to nonlead ammunition. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:09:21 AM »
yes, i know the waterfowl ammo has to be non-lead, but as i posted this in the TURKEY section, i thought that said what i was after .... maybe waterfowl later if i win the lottery and can afford a boat ... but back in May I sold my truck and bought a Kia car that isn't towing-rated, so how would I move the boat from home to lake???!!! LOL  guess I didn't plan that out too well, huh?!
Freedom is NOT FREE !

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:01 AM »
For Turkey I shoot Federal Premium 3" with the flitecontrol wad. 1 7/8 oz of No. 6 shot at 1300 FPS. You can go the non-toxic route but those shells are spendy, like $5 every time you squeeze the trigger. People have been eating animals shot with lead projectiles for quite some time, but if you don' want to risk it, that is your own decision.
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:47:05 PM »
thanks, bustin, just saw the article in the NY Conservationist magazine that made me wonder about the lead projectile issue ... but like I said under your other reply in the whitetail section, NICS denied me today so I have to play the appeal game with the FBI, which will take a while ... might have to kiss spring turkey season goodbye even, but hey, maybe in 50 weeks, I'll be legal, who knows ???
Freedom is NOT FREE !