Spike Camp

Opinions on what's the best caliber for predator hunting

ms hunter

Opinions on what's the best caliber for predator hunting
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:51:24 PM »
I'm looking for some input on what is the best caliber for predator hunting. I,ll be getting the Vanguard sub-moa varmint. I'm just undecided on what caliber. Also what is your favorite factory round in that caliber. Does anyone have any experience with the .204 ruger?
thx ahead of time for anyones feedback
john   

John

• View Profile
Re: Opinions on what's the best caliber for predator hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »
I have a couple of favorites depending on what result you desire. If you want to keep or sell the pelt use the .17rem., small hole no exit great trajectory for a little bullet. If you are out there culling any of the .22's are effective and inexpensive.  The .257WBY is an amazing killer on Coyote on up.
ALMOST DANGEROUS

ms hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:42:48 PM »
skygod 1
I was actually mulling that over about the 257wby. Instead of getting the sub-moa varmint I'll just get the sub- moa that way I'll have the option of using it for other game. I also was considering the .308 win. Any thoughts on that round.

Hogslayer77

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »
One of the main reasons I bought a .257 was that I was tired of carrying around 2 rifles, I like to coyote hunt but I also like to hog hunt so there I was hauling the .223 and the 30-06 everytime I left to shoot with my buddies.

Now with the Sub-Moa .257 I have it all covered in one package. Point and shoot all the way to 350 yards!

The .308 round has a rainbow-like trajectory when compared to the .257 and you don't usually have time to range and then dial in your clicks with a coyote.

Finally, I have a buddy that hit a coyote 2 times squarley with a .220 Swift (fastest cartridge in the world @ 4200 + fps)  - and it still tried to run, the 3rd shot killed it off and I have had more than one coyote run off with my .223.

.257 weatherby is the way to go!
.243 is a kick ass standard caliber too...

good luck with your hunting

dsking001

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
I own a Vanguard SUM MOA Varmint in .22-250.  I think it's an awesome caliber for coyote, p-dog, and just shooting at the range.  You can get ammo for it just about anywhere and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

I know a lot of guys who coyote hunt with .308 and .223.  I think they both have there advantages.  You can get a little more range and nock down with the .308 and the .223 is cheap and you have lots of choices.

I shot in a 300 and 600 meter bench rest competition recently with my .22-250.  There was a 17-20 mph cross wind and my 45 grain bullet was holding as tight of groups as all the other .308 and 7mm shooters.

I've never had trouble with taking down coyotes with .22-250.  It carries enough punch to put them down out to 500 yards.  If you're not a very good caller (like myself), you’ll probably be taking some longer shots than those guy who can bring them in to short range.  If you are shooting coyote inside 75 yards you probably don't need a .22-250 or .308.

If you're looking for an all purpose caliber, I would recommend something bigger than the .22s.  .243 or .257 fit the bill pretty good.

Good luck.
Dan

Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
I have two 22-250's which i use for prairie dog shooting, and fun stuff. When i go out coyote calling i get serious and grab my .257. I dont need anything else, it does the job every time.
My calling partner uses a .204 and when i ask him why he doesnt use a .257 WBY, his reply is "cause i want to give them a chance".....THAT SAYS IT ALL.
Molon Labe

ms hunter

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
Thanks for everyone's insight. I just bought the Vangaurd syn. 257 wby and just placed a order for a long range scope. After I get it set up and take it to the range I'll let ya'll know how it does. The varmint hunting will have to wait until after turkey season though.
Good hunting everyone!
John

Maylor

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 07:42:29 PM »
1 can of sardines one big bush and a 45cal auto.

Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
Maylor
You must be an 'old timer', I used to use the sardine trick many years ago, and i still use it on windy days.. The only dfference between me and your post is that i use a 22-250.
Molon Labe

rssmith

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »
22/250 is the way to go,204 is good but be ready to adjust for the wind on long shots it drifts alot more than .22s

huntwriter

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
22-250, without question, for pure varmint/predator hunting -- but don't shoot foxes and such at close range if you want a good pelt. 257 for coyotes and up -- but only if you aren't going to keep the coyote pelts.

rssmith

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 09:07:37 AM »
I HAVE A .257 WEATHERBY BUT NEVER COYOTE HUNTED WITH IT,22/250 IS WHAT I USE BUT, I WILL TELL YOU THIS THERE IS NO CALIBER .257 WEATHERBY AT LONG LONG RANGE,ON ANYTHING!!!

ubettcha13

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:53 AM »
Under 300 yds .223 over that threshold a speedy 22 the 6mm class and the .25's I use a 243 for all I like the Blitzkings and V-Max in the 70 and 75gr sizes They are quick killers at 3550 fps You don't get the dog spinning with this load If you hit them they are down They may flop on the ground if you hit them in a no vital region so a second shot if a single or leave them and yeip at the other dog(s) They will stop to see so you can double up A 50 gn Blitz in a 223 is a killer also I tried the Barnes bullets but never got the accuracy I was looking for Lastly I prefer boattails The only problem is that they induce barrel wear on the overbore cartridges more quickly

ohr61

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 07:54:42 AM »
Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Go with the   257!

zonie

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
I guess it depends on several things ? What type varmit/predator hunting ?  How far ?  and how much you shoot in a day?  If I were shooting a whole lot say 100+ rds a day @ ground squirrels or P-dogs, it would be any good 22/6mm class rifle depending on range, for long range squirrels @ 400 to 500 yds my nod goes to a 243 or 6mm.  A hot 243's will shoot a 55/60 gr bullet @ 3800-4000 fps,  really out shining the 22-250 at really long range, nothing wrong with a 22-250 great cal.  If I were  shooting @ 300 yds or less any 222/223 is great.  A good friend of mine uses an old savage 24 over/under 12 ga/223 combo gun and when calling howlers or fox in very heavy cover a full load of # 4's puts them down and the 223 for long shots.  Lately I have been using an ar-15 with 5 rd mags of course, for howlers the very fast follow-up shots is really nice and great for multiple targets.  We have Mtn Lions , wolves, and bears in our area so when I go out calling coyotes and fox in their territory I usually take a 270 or 308 just to be on the safe side.  Never shot one, but have called in several,  just sat there and watched them,  very cool one of these day's I will dump one. Wolves in our area are protected so they are off-limits. One day last yr my friend of mine and I were scouting for elk a accidently spooked a Mt lion that was sitting in the front door of an old abandoned cowboy line shack, I thought he was full of him-self  so I left my rifle in the truck,  big mistake, I went to the open door and found otherwise, cat was really ticked off,  backed away very slowly with the hair on the back of my neck standing, we just let him go.  Now I carry a 10mm colt auto max loads just in case.  This is not the first time this has happened,   3 bear encounters in 5 yrs with family members has taught me a good lesson,  be prepared,  predators are just that, predators you sometimes just don't know what they may do.  A good 243 is a nice way to go for all around predator's cartridge,  it wouldn't be my first choice in bear country,  that's why I carry a 270 or 308.