Spike Camp

Friend needs help selecting a pistol...

Marshal_

Friend needs help selecting a pistol...
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
OK, so here's the setup. My buddy hit me up to get some help choosing a gun. Problem is, his taste and mine are vastly different and I don't know a whole lot about the type of things he's after.

His criteria is: 9mm, concealable, decent build quality, and under $400. His idea of concealable and mine are obviously different, because I conceal a GI style 1911 no problem. The only pistols I know of that come close are the M&P, XD, and USP. All are over $400 even used, assuming they can be found with the whole panic buying business going down. I think we ruled out the beretta nano already too.

I figured I'd lean on the knowledge base of the nation and see if someone's got any suggestions.

BCMadsen

Re: Friend needs help selecting a pistol...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:27:34 PM »
Why not have him look at SW 5906. Not the smallest 9mm around but a good gun

wyldgene

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »
...bunch of mini-9's out there, a little bigger (& a lot cheaper to shoot) than the .380's, KelTec & Taurus @ the bottom, Kahr & S&W's towards the top end, priced between $350-450...

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
Gene:I have a Kel Tec 9, as well as a Kel Tec 32..Never any problems.What problems did you have with your Kel Tec that you rank them at the bottom?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

coreydelong

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
Ruger LC9 sounds like a good fit. Very concealable in a 9mm platform.

MSRP is $449. I'm sure you could find a new one pretty close to $400 + tax/shipping.

Marshal_

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
I'll send the suggestions his way. I found out he's engaged after I made the post so if nothing fits maybe I can throw a little extra money in as an early wedding gift.

lamric

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »
Stoeger Cougar compact fits within your price range, the M&P Shield costs a bit more and is easier to conceal.  I prefer the DA only trigger on the Shield over the SA/DA on the Cougar.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
Don't count out the Glocks.  I have a Glock 39 in .45 GAP that I carry all the time and you'd never know it's there.  The 9mms conceal just as well and aren't far off from the $400 price he wants to pay.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 05:48:55 AM »
I would recommend a Glock 19.  I'm only 5'5" and I can conceal this gun very easily.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »
It know its off his $400 dollar mark but I believe Springfield is releasing a 9mm in their XDS this yr. I have one in 45 and absolutely love it. Its not as concealable as some but shoots as good or better  then some much bigger full size. I really like it a lot, fits great, shoots great, but is going to be over that $400 range. If he could come up with the extra $$ I think he would love it.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »
Marshal,
Don't count out CZ. I guess you've checked the used counters.

zonie

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
What he needs to do is go to several gunshops and see if the gun fits his hand.   The other thing if he's primarily going to carry concealed if ask this question how is he going to carry ?   In his pocket,  shoulder rig,  inside the waist , etc.    What kind of holster ?  Some holsters gun combo's  I feel better carrying one way and the same gun in a different holster set-up feels awkward and uncomfortable the holster makes a world of difference.  Two that I like are a an IHL holster  in the waist with a gov'n model. or a small 38 spec smith & wesson air weight right in my pocket with a modified uncle mikes holster with the plastic clip removed.  If I have to I can shoot thru the 38's  holster  or thru the jacket.  The importantance with concealed is training,   anyone with a working knowledge of firearms and shooting in general even the bad guy's can tell if someone is reaching for a gun,  inside the pants or jacket pocket is way more submissive looking to  most people until the bullets comes flying out .   

Yes he can get a gun for 400 bucks it might totally reliable and  suit him fine,  I'd look for something slightly more expensive with a known track record of reliability.  Then he's going to have to choose the right ammo and go play with it.

Marshal_

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »
It's kinda funny, finding a used rifle around here is easy, but when people pickup handguns it seems like they hang on to em. There usually isn't much available in the way of used handguns available. My guess is rather than trade a $500 gun for 250 bucks at best they use the trading post or an online ad source to find a buyer.

I agree with ya Zonie, the first step is to find one that fits his hand. I suppose he'll have to figure out how to carry it for himself afterward. I mostly open carry, though I usually tuck a backup gun out of sight somewhere as well. Either in a shoulder rig, or tucked IWB on my left side around 7:00-7:30. Good shoulder rigs tends to be pricey though, and they're a little slow.

Depending on what he gets I could see him doing IWB, OWB, or maybe some sort of pocket carry. We'll have to see what he ends up choosing before burning that bridge though.

chiefstrum

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 06:22:05 AM »
I just picked up a beretta nano for right at 400 bucks. I tried the s&w, ruger, and kahr and the nano fit my hand better. I have been really impressed with how easy it is to get rounds on target with such a short barrel. To my estimation the recoil isn't any worse than the all steel full size beretta 92 I have. It's concealable but definitely not a "pocket pistol."

Marshal_

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »
I dragged him to Bob's Gunshop last week cause they were having a 2 day S&W expo complete with S&W reps and some S&W stock that's in short supply these days. He settled on an M&P shield, $460 out the door. Very nice little weapon IMO. The slide would likely smack my big ol' bear paws, but it looked like it would clear his pretty well. Now if I could just drag him to the range for a propper report...