Spike Camp

coyote hunting

zonie

Re: coyote hunting
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »
They don't call them Wiley Coyote for nothing.  Back to the original post  I think it depends if you want to keep the pelts or not.    Bobcat pelts are now  back up in price at auction. 

swpahunter

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 06:40:52 AM »
Having the right caliber of rifle is the easy part.  Any of the calibers mentioned above will do fine.

In my particular case, I had the right caliber I just did not have enough respect for the intelligence of a coyote.  In my experience, they do not stop to "question" if something is wrong, they are just gone.  I could give you quite a few examples of their intelligence but I'm afraid that the only way to become a successful coyote hunter is by experience (where I come from we call experience the scars on your back).

I truly enjoyed the limited times that I have hunted coyotes.  Good luck in your pursuit of the wiley coyote. They are worth the time and effort .

Keep us posted as to your adventures.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »
I recently purchased a H&R single shot 26" barrel in 25.06, sited in with 85 grain Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips, going to try to reduce the yote count in my bow hunting area this coming winter

Terry   
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

Maskwa

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 02:05:57 AM »
In years gone by I used a number of the bigger .22 centerfire cartridges, including the .22-.250, and .220 Swift, after a long stint with the .222 Rem. Eventually I moved up to a larger caliber cartridge as they provide better wind bucking abilities and hit with more authority out at longer distances.

My wife now shoots a .243 and I use a .257 Weatherby. I can poke them a long ways away and if an opportunity presents itself at a wolf, I still have plenty of punch.

Big thing is bullet choice, as western coyotes are one of the few bright lights in the fur market these days and I really do not want to shred them. I wait until the hides are prime before I get after them, with the exception of the odd yote that starts to hang around the livestock or tries to lure our dogs out of the yard.

If you are just shooting them to thin down the population and the hides are not an issue, bullet choice is not an issue.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 04:18:23 PM »
I had a black market cassette tape of a yellowhammer flicker when I was in high school.I can't remember a time that I played it that I didn't call in something and really nothing was prejudice to it.If you used it close to a creek,at night,you were libel to have coons crawl in the back of the truck with you.Man we made a lot of money with that call.Reds were bringing 45 to 60 bucks and big coons 30.Bobcats that weren't torn up would fetch a 100 dollar bill.Those were the days.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.