Spike Camp

coyote hunting

cman

coyote hunting
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
Hi y`all im new to coyote hunting and wondering what caliber rifle i should get. And also wondering if i should use electric call, or hand call.
Cody Carlson

Re: coyote hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
I have a 22-250 and love it. Other good calibers are the 223, 204 Ruger, 220 Swift ,and the 243. Those 5 are the best to use on yotes in my opinion. I would use a electronic call because its easier to call and more realistic sounding. Let us know on what caliber and call you decide on!
Scott

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Scott gave you great advice.I am now using the 204 Ruger and Fox Pro electronic caller.A friend recently got a Primos electronic and is very happy with it also.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
Does your friend have the Alpha Dog Roger? I got one and love mine. I killed a lot of coyotes with it.
Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:48:13 PM »
Scott: It is the Alpha Dog and it sounds really good.I was impressed with it.
Roger

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:16:59 PM »
I also have an alpha dog and works great. Good sounds to start with and good volume control also never had a remote range issue.  Natchez sells them for $220 now, carry 1 or 2 mouth Calls or spare AA batteries with you if your far from truck. As far as gun they all kill yotes but based on where you hunt most want .204-243 but most popular is probably 223. If long range is part of it get quality optics, them dogs are small when they are way out there and accuracy will matter. Shotguns even have there time and place in hunting them here on east coast. Good luck and I hope you wipe them out!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
When you get your gun enjoy, coyote hunting is awesome.  Don't be fooled it is not as easy as the shows on TV make it look.  Be patient and don't give up.  It took my son and I about three seasons to get it figured out.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:19:29 PM »
I second the not easy part. My brother and I have been 3 times and only called in 1 fox. The strange thing is we were within 400-500yds of a coyote, played the rabbit in distress call and could not get him to budge. Then the coyote got to hawling to some others way off in the distance, we left him and set up on the others. Played the distress call again and nothing. I am starting to get discouraged with it! We were also hunting at night with light. Also had an electric call. ::) :-\

Any suggestions are welcome!!!!
Drinking Beer and Wasting Bullets

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »
I second the not easy part. My brother and I have been 3 times and only called in 1 fox. The strange thing is we were within 400-500yds of a coyote, played the rabbit in distress call and could not get him to budge..........

Any suggestions are welcome!!!!

Elevate and fire for effect!

When they hang of if I "should" of had 1 around I hit the pup distress before quiting.  Sometimes I substitute rodent or bird distress at lowest or near lowest sound setting for silence periods. Seems to keep them interested and looking at call not me and of course wind can hurt you.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:35:55 PM by ccc23454 »

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
all the calibers mentioned are great, my 2 cents is for the 243, then you have a good varmint gun as well as deer sized game.

james
exhale and squeeze

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 04:54:41 AM »
Louis- On hung up coyotes I would try the pup distress or the ki-yi. Make sure you have the wind blowing in your face or it has to be a crossword. If your scent is blowing to them that could be why they are hung up.
Scott

Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 12:45:31 PM »
I started calling Coyotes almost fifty years ago, using hand calls. Three years ago I bought a FoxPro electronic caller and I think its great. Easy to use and you have a great variety¬  of sounds to use.

I use both the 22-250 and 204 for all my coyote hunting, either one will do a great job. I use the 22-250 mostly when the wind is¬  blowing rather hard.

Calling Critters successfully takes time and patience..lots to learn. Gotta warn you, it is highly addictive!¬  After all these years I can still remember the first animal I called in, a beautiful Bob Cat and I still get the same thrill today.

Two great¬  informational sites are varmintal.com and predatormasters.com.give them a look and you can learn a lot about set ups and calling.

Good luck, and welcome to the Nation

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:49:09 PM by Arnold »
Molon Labe

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:30 PM »
What do you mean it isn't like it is on tv? I always call in 3 coyotes every time I make a set. Joking of course. I have the alpha dogg as well and I use my .257.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 07:32:46 PM »
Oh and when I said 400-500 yds away that's what it sounded like because he was in the woods. I would would have tryed him if he were just 400-500 yds in a clear field!
Drinking Beer and Wasting Bullets

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »
Lol.No telling how long it takes those guys on TV to make their videos.A bird in distress or mouse squeak very low often work.Everyone uses a cotton tail or jack in distress and I think the yotes get very wary.I have had a kitten distress work well.Also a fawn distress,fun to watch does come in to 10 yds if nothing else.
Roger