Spike Camp

270 win vs. 270WSM

Re: 270 win vs. 270WSM
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »
I have had zero feeding issues with my .300 WSM Vanguard with factory ammo in 150- and 180-grain weights. Have you considered the possibility that your feeding issues may have more to do with your rifle than with your ammo? I've heard of others having this issue with Kimbers -- the problem seems to be generally cured with some selective polishing.

Obviously it is the rifle and its design - if it had a straight-line feed magazine, properly tapered feed ramp, and sufficient magazine depth to take the pressure off the spring, it'd probably work fine.  But these changes would have required a complete re-work of the 700 action, and eliminated some of the advantages of the short action design.  I've already alleviated the feeding problem somewhat by replacing the floorplate with an Armstech magazine extender.  At least now I get 100% first-round feed success, as by increasing magazine capacity from three to four, the first cartridge feeds from the left side, rather than the troublesome right side.  The drawback is the incredibly ugly extension sticking out from the floorplate area.

I'd rather have the rifle chambered for .300 Win. Mag., and carry around an extra 1/4 lb. of weight, for the sake of complete reliability.