Spike Camp

Next Nation rifle, .264 Weatherby Magnum ???

Re: Next Nation rifle, .264 Weatherby Magnum ???
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
If possible offer it in both a plastic and a wood stock, the buyer could pick the one they want. That shouldn't be too hard of a problem to solve, or do we want them identical? More selections equal more sales.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

zonie

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
Whatever you guy's decide I'll get one.   For me it really doesn't matter MK V or Vanguard although a 26" barrel would be more appropriate in this new caliber.  The last go around on the WMNR rifle the ony thing I didn't vote on was the 257 caliber and instead voted on a 7mm Wby,  everything else was to my liking.   Since me and my son both bought the first nation rifles I've come to enjoy the 257 cal more and more although I would have had a preference for a 6.5 wby caliber, but  that wasn't offered .   One thing I would prefer if this come into being would be a full alum bedding block and free floated if it were on a composite stock instead of pillar bedded only.   If  it's wood stock I can live with it just fine.   I do agree with the down payment and 3 or 4 payment plan,  the last time there were a few people caught off guard and couldn't  buy one for various reasons.   Since I'm more of a hunter and rifles do get used,  a repeat of the original nation rifle with a blackened stainless receiver and blackened flutes with a stainless barrel on a Vanguard action wouldn't bother me in the least,  although it might be nice to have something different this next time.    If you guys at Weatherby are floating the idea again run it out there and take an opinion poll to see what we come up with.

badsection

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »
Last time, I was short of cash, pure and simple. Barrel length,caliber or stainless is not a real concern to me, IF we can find ammo/brass for it. Even if this was a duplicate of the first WNMR, I`d think real hard about it!

FryeBaby

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 06:50:16 AM »
I would be in for one if the price was something I could afford. The caliber .264 sounds good to me. Just a ballpark figure, how much would a Nation rifle in Mark V cost? How much did the last Nation rifle cost? Thanks, Wes

badsection

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 07:29:07 AM »
The first(last) was a vanguard in .257 WBY. I seem to recall it was about 1K$. Yes, a fancied up Mark V would be a considerable amount. I have a 6.5x55mm Swede now, so at least I have bullets on hand. :)  Dies for a new round might be a problem, too. The fact that only 12 sold might be a setback.  I suppose the idea of committing a deposit before  the exact rifle is announced might not be a bad idea. It would give Weatherby a decent number to work with before going ahead on this project. Any Weatherby caliber from .240 up to .375  would have my attention. If it is something totally new, throwing brass, loaded ammo and dies into the mix would convince me to go for it. 

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:12 AM »
If they base the round off the 7mm Weatherby Magnum and neck it down to 6.5, there's your brass supply, until an actual .264 Weatherby Magnum brass arrives for the masses. For dies,  if Weatherby makes this cartridge there's no doubt RCBS, Lee, etc... would make dies for it. They would jump at the chance to sell more of their product.
   Weatherby sells more rifles, die makers sell more products and we get the next Nation rifle we've been waiting for. Plus it shows the world that Weatherby isn't afraid to move forward with new ideas, a rare opportunity to step out and show they are the leader in the industry.

badsection

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 08:09:56 AM »
Midway has no 7mm WBY brass in stock. I have some here for my Accumark.  :) Don`t get me wrong, I`m not against a .264 WBY.  I just want a gun we can shoot without worrying where the needed supplies can be found.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
7mm Rem Mag brass can easily be full-length resized to 257 Wby Mag.  The neck length is a bit shorter, but it works.

If you have a 264 Wby Mag die, I don't know why 7MM RM brass couldn't be made into 264 Wby Mag brass.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
I REALLY LOVE this idea.

Here's an idea for a sweet .264 WNMR.
- Black Mark V action
- Matte stainless barrel, 26" .750 at the muzzle, no fluting
- Black with red webbed accumark stock
- Black floorplate engraved WNMR and numbered

A good notice for orders, with three or four payment plan which includes a down payment.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

Marshal_

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
Quote from: Justin Moore
About the Nation Rifle, I wasn't here for the first go-around so I'm not really sure what happened. What I do know is that there was a lot of time and effort put into it, in the end there were a lot of people that weren't happy with what was offered, and I believe 12 people bought the rifle. I am more than happy to hear how we can do it better if we were to do another one. How do we get everyone to agree on one rifle, or at least compromise on one? Maybe we should develop a 6.5 since that's what everybody here seems to want.    Who's in for that idea?

When the topic came up I figured it would be best left alone, but since a Weatherby rep has taken interest I'll put my 2 cent in. I wasn't here for the first WNMR either. I joined the nation right about the time they were taking orders, saw the post, but really had no clue what it was about, or interest since I had made up my mind to order a vannie in .300 Wby Mag from the custom shop. But from the outside looking in, it seemed like one platform and caliber wasn't enough to please everybody. Seems like the timing also caught some folks that would've gladly bought it with empty pockets and no time to scrape together the money. .

I also have to wonder, is a mere 12 rifles sold really as much a "failure" as it seemed? At the time I'm writing this, there are 76,668 members, 146 of which are online. 9 members, 137 guests. Even if we assume that all of those guests are registered members that didn't sign in, that's still a pretty small number of folks that are lurking around. It's a pretty small community of regulars, and just looking at the numbers available without knowing the actual daily/weekly traffic numbers for the site, one could say selling 12 rifles without any marketing aside from posting on the Nation was a success. And I think it would've been a bigger one if the period for taking orders was perhaps a little bit longer.

Just a thought, but is there's a way to send a mass e-mail to all the Nation members to include those that are registered, but don't seem to find the time to login as regularly as others? I've also seen a few folks mention here and there that they simply didn't know until it was too late.

Here's another off the cuff idea. Maybe instead of burning time with polls, suggestions, and the like, talk to Ed and Dan to see what's feasible, lay out a couple of offerings, then put 'em up for a vote and go with the winner. Might help nip some of the problems associated with design-by-committee in the bud.

Personally though, so far as the 6.5/.264 goes I reckon I'm a neutral party. It doesn't get me particularly excited, but I'm not heavily against it either. Seems like a tall order though, debuting a new cartridge in concert with a WNMR. I'd rather see a 26" barrel to a 24", but I don't figure it's a deal breaker either way. Can't swear that I'll bite until the details are ironed out, but the last time this topic came up I started putting money aside just in case, and miraculously enough I still have it.

tadder52

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »
I'm with Marshal a day late and a dollar short.  And when this all got hot and heavy a while ago I was squirrelling away the money just to even have a shot at purchasing the next go around.  And yes, I still have a savings account goal that is titled, "WNMR Fund" 

As a lefty I'm kinda sad knowing that it will be right handed rifle but for the nostalgic of it I still would be purchasing one as long as it says ".XXX Weatherby Magnum" on the side.   ;D

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »
I'm in also even though I already have one being put together at this moment but it is going to be a 28" heavy barrel but if they perform as hoped I will surely want one with a 26" hunting weight rifle . And if it was offered early to the nation weatherby could get a lot of feedback on loads and bullet preference and barrel twist rate will be a big concideration as well to take advantage of the heavy high BC bullets that will make it shine above the 264 win or the 6.5 x 284 that has gained so much popularity
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:25:03 PM by fasttrx88 »

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
Count me in. Just a thought which will probably send arrows my way, but what if Weatherby were to offer a new caliber but offered a pre-production package available only to Nation Members. Such as if it was to be offered in Vanguard and Mark V include some ammo/reloading components, and special numbered engraving for Nation Members, choice of Vanguard or Mark V configuration, and a Member's only payment plan. That way there is a better chance of affordability for all interested. It would be a shame not to be able to buy a Nation Member only rifle due to funds. I'm fairly new, (2011) so don't be too hard on me.

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
I think introducing a new caliber, the .264 Weatherby Magnum, and having the first run dedicated to as the Weatherby Nation Members' Rifle would be a great marketing idea.  They could engrave the floor plate to say something like WNMR No. 1 of 500 First Edition of .264 Weatherby Magnum 2013.  That would look very nice on a Deluxe Model with the old skip line checkering and highly figured wood like the Japanese models were known for.  I also agree that if they had the options of stocks and metal finishes it would bring in more sales.  On the flip side I think they'd have to restrict the finishes to either gloss or matte bluing.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »
Here's what it could look like with a plastic stock, green with black webbing.