Spike Camp

My First Weatherby

GunDawg

My First Weatherby
« on: March 24, 2008, 06:28:09 PM »
After years of wanting I finally aquired my first Weatherby a stainless Vanguard in 270 win.
I am already planning for more but first I need some good glass for my new Baby!!!! ;D

Magnum 7mm

Re: My First Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:15:58 AM »
Congrats on your new Weatherby.  Leupold scopes ride on all my Weatherby's.  You might want to consider Leupold.  Also, on that next Weatherby, why not make it a Mark V?

GunDawg

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 08:09:07 PM »
I would love to but alimony is expensive not to mention child support. I will settle for a Vanguard either in 257 or 300 wtby mag though ;D I am however looking closely at leupold and Nikon scopes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:10:52 PM by Sam »

NicoX

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18:46 AM »
congratulations!!  ;D

I also have my first weatherby rifle! I bought a Vanguard Varmint Special in cal .223
I put on it a Simmons ProHunter with 4 x 12 x 40 with waver mounts and rings.

It´s not the best but for starting on it for me it´s OK.

eweatherby

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »
GunDawg and Nicox congratulations on your new Weatherby.  Welcome to the family!

E.W.

cougar_72

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 01:23:26 PM »
Congrats! I just brought home my first Weatherby as well. Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .257WM. Got quite the deal on it, local shop gave it to me for $1439 + tax. Topped it with a Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50.

tclark

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »
You may have already bought; if not, keeping budget in mind the bushnell 3200 line is a great scope. 

Happy shooting with your new weatherby!

kfrog

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 06:12:25 AM »
Good rifle my first weatherby was a Vanguard sport ss 270 win I still have and love it.But now i have a Vanguard SUB-MOA Stainless 257 WM to.
For Budget I would go with Bushnell 3200 line but if you can swing for a Leupold or a Nikon they are very good scopes.
All yes Congratulations.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 01:47:41 AM »
I don't know what your budget is, but the advice so far has been spot on.  I usually consider three types of scope when I need a new one.  First, I like the Zeiss Conquest.  They are expensive, but worth it.  If that's not in the budget, the 4200 series from Bushnell is great, and can be had for a bit less than comparable scopes from Nikon and Leupold.  If I am in a budget crunch (which it seems lately I always am) then I go for the 3200 Bushnell.  In fact, I have one of those on a Mark V in 270Wby, and that thing is superb.  I can keep it inside .5" at 100yds with the rifle's favorite load.  Good luck on your search.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

CircuitRider

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 02:09:41 AM »
Ditto, Zeiss Conquest even if you have to save for a little while.

avagadro

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 05:31:45 AM »
Welcome to fold .... more Weatherbys will follow.  I currently have six ( 5 Mk V's and one Mk XXII).

FWIW ... everyone of mine wear a Leupold.  Nuttin' wrong with any of the others listed, but for quality and peace of mind make mine a Leupold.  IMHO, the VX-II line of scopes is close to the best bang for the buck going in the optics world.

phil

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 05:37:25 AM »
I know I am going to take some flak for this, but if budget is an issue, you cannot beat the Burris Full-Field II, but ONLY in the 3-9x40. Hands down, this scope in this configuration is the best glass for your money. However, I have to re-emphasize that the only Burris I would ever buy is the Full Field II in 3-9x40. Just a thought for the budget minded individual.

Maylor

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 06:11:06 AM »
i own a bushnell a bosch&lomb a leupold and 2 burris. i like the burris blackdimond the best. these are all great scopes .the best eye relief is on the leupold .the black dimond is the clearest from dawn to dusk. some of my friends like zeiss. this is a hard choice with all that is avaible.my rec is dont buy anything less then 50mm for light trans.  after setting up the scope try the 4 corner test. there is a lot of hunters that dont do this and end up re ajusting every year. if the scope will not do this take it back. this is worth the ammo and time. you never know when you have to make the the shot of a lifetime.

avagadro

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 07:06:05 AM »
What is the 4 corner test???

A good QUALITY scope from 32-42 mm objective diameter is going to offer plenty of light transmission to shoot to LEGAL hours.   Two of my goto rifle each have fixed 6x scopes (36 & 42 mm) and both allow me to shoot in the woods to past legal time.

Again, there is no substitute for good glass. 

Maylor

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 07:41:16 AM »
4 cornor test.  sight in your rifle. raise your elev 6 click, shoot, windage to the right 6 clicks shoot , elev down 6 clicks shoot, windage left 6 clicks shoot. if your riflescope is true it will be back to zero.