Spike Camp

scary animals

badsection

Re: scary animals
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »
I think the hundreds of thousand gators here keep the moccasin problem to a minimum. I`m sure the wild hogs do their fair share of snake control, too. I saw more snakes in Maryland than I have here in Florida. Typical snakes I see here are  rat snakes and black snakes. The black snake gets fairly large, maybe 6'.   :)

zonie

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
What's the matter with you guy's  just joking.  I don't like snakes either, but there are good ones and what I consider bad one's.   We have a nice pretty large bull snake we leave alone running the property eating rats and mice,  that's a nice snake.   We don't mess with him and he or she doesn't mess with us.  Rattle snakes on the other hand I'll go out of my way to kill them, especially Mohave  rattle snakes or Mojave Greens same snake,   really bad disposition if you mess with them ,  and very dangerous ,   worst bite of any north american snake classified as a grade IV bite IV being the worst.  A co-worked  messed with one like a dumb ass and two weeks later still in the hospital and at the time a young firefighter  and in extremely good shape.  Mojave's can as with a lot of rattlers have different color phases the easiest way to tell is a double thickness white or light colored bands seperated by a dark colored or black bands on the tail near the rattles.  One you see one you won't forget.  

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »
Snakes and bugs are not Scary. At least in the same way A Bear or Cougar is. Snakes don't smell you out and stalk you down as prey. Snakes are more Creepy than scary in my book. Don't get me wrong I hate them to. they have made me jump back plenty of times. But I never give them A second thought. And I know I don't live in deadly Snake country But I have hunted in them before. I gave thought to snake shaps once. But desided against them. Just didn't think I realy needed them they were just on the list for A eastern hunter heading west.
Mark

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »
Chris in my opinion if you sit down with him it's the same as sitting with a snake. The only difference is he won't leave fang marks when he bites.

You're right there but at least I could see him sneaking up on me and my wallet. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

zonie

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »
Talking about sitting down with a snake I guess it was two years ago a police buddy, his son and I were out dove hunting and this guy in a pick-up came flying own the road,  hit the brakes and came running over to us,  says he had been bitten by a rattle snake.in the back.    He pulled off his tee shirt and I checked him out,  no fang marks or broken skin.   I guess what happened he sat down with his back to a bush waiting for the doves to fly over and heard a rattle in the bush  he jumped,  and the branches scraped  or poked up against him and thought he was bitten.  The guy was scared,  I don't blame him.   

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
gizzly, the water moccasin/cotton mouth is one aggressive and very territorial snake. A moccasin will go out of his/her way to confront you and defend their territory.  I don't have a clue, why they are like that, but it seems like they are a venomous snake with an attitude!  LOL!!!!  That is what makes them so dangerous, and most of the time you can't see them until they are hissing at you and its too late.  :-[
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

rogerinalberta

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »
Para I just watched that goof on tv hunting boar with A spear Pick one up it was huge. I didn't know they were that aggressive. Dubyam made reference to the same thing. You and my other southern friends can keep your snakes. Here we only have A small version of the rattle snake called a Mississauga he is not very deadly but can kill you in rare cases. Problem is most hospitals don't have anti venium. But for some reason snakes just don't send that chill up my spine until I see one. Just the thought of A Cougar between me and my deer blind in the dark has me on alert.
Mark

badsection

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
I don't know about hogs anywhere but here in Florida. They can be territorial and aggressive. In close quarters, it can be interesting. Some places here visibility is under 10yds. for the undergrowth. That is why we hunt from tree stands. I try to target 200lb and under boars for the meat. My nephew's wife took one closer to 400lbs. with her 20ga. H&R  single shot!    :)

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »
All this talk about cougars and other scary animals got me to thinking about an experience I had as an early teenager.  My dad was friends with a fellow who had a very large tract of land (~2000ac) north of town.  We got invited out to deer hunt often, and the way it worked was, the caretaker would put everyone in his truck and drive us around, dropping us off one by one, until he was done.  Then he'd come back around after dark and pick everyone up.  That worked out well if you were the early dropoff, but if you were closer to the end, it could be an hour after dark before he arrived to get you.  So one night I'm last out, and about 30min after dark I get down from my stand and walk down the field edge to the two-rut road looping through the property.  I'm standing there waiting, with a 12ga shotgun in my hands.  I start hearing some noise from the woodlot across the two-rut.  Well, as a young teen, maybe 14yrs old, I start thinking about all the giant, hairy, toothy, mean things that might be in the woods wanting to eat me.  Of course, in panhandle Florida back in the 70s and 80s, there were only supposed to be bobcats, a few black bears, and very seldom a coyote.  But the noise keeps getting louder and closer sounding.  Very intermittent, so I'm not able to track it well.  As a profoundly scared, but not profoundly stupid boy, I decided I could easily wait in the open-topped box blind until the truck arrived, and made haste back to the blind and up the ladder.  I'd been sitting up there a few minutes when I felt an urge to re-load my shotgun.  So in go three rounds of 00-buck.  Now I'm sitting in a tree, in the dark, with a loaded shotgun, and feeling slightly more secure.

And then I heard a sound the likes of which I've not ever heard again in the wild.  I did hear it one time at a wildlife park outside Tallahassee.  It was a scream/screech sound, and definitely made by a cat, and definitely made over at the road where I had just been standing.  So at this point, I imagine a giant Bengal Tiger is now patrolling under my stand and I'm all about being ready with that shotgun.  The cat screams 5-6x, moving across the field in front of me.  I cannot see anything, as there was no moon.  I almost shot once just to scare it off, but I did not want to waste ammo I might need to fend off the killer.

A few minutes of nervous quiet go by, and the caretaker arrives with a truckload of other hunters.  Only when he'd pulled in the field and shined his headlights toward the stand did I unload my gun and climb down.  I told the story and they all said it couldn't have been a Florida Panther, but was likely a bobcat.  I bought that story until a few years later I had the opportunity to hear the bobcat and the panther vocal sounds.  It was decidedly a panther.

Then when I was 17, I was riding the woods where we hunted (part of the Apalachicola National Forest southwest of Tallahassee), one day after school, and came upon a big mudhole.  I got out to investigate the best way to cross it and noticed a wild hog's remains scattered over a 12-15' area.  Only thing left was part of the skull, and a couple of feed, and some bones.  Mixed in amongst the remains, clearly stamped in the mud, were cat tracks (no toenails), measuring about 3.5" across on the clearest tracks.  I know what made them.  I remember thinking that even out in broad daylight, I'd be better off in the truck.

The Florida Game & Fish Commission denied for years any existence of panthers outside Big Cypress and Fakahatchee Strand and Everglades National Park.  I wish I'd had the good sense to snap a few pictures and document the tracks better.  The hair on the back of my neck stands up just typing up these two encounters.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

zonie

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 05:51:17 PM »
Duby good story even today I would imagine the hair would stand on the back of your neck.  One thing about a mtn lion you will either know they are there or you won't.  I see far more bears than mtn lions and it's not because there are more bears the cats are way more secretive.    I love it when game wardens tell you something you know for a fact is not true.  Sometimes they don't want to or ordered not to let the truth out,  like it's some dark secret.   I've ran into the same problem when the mexican wolf was re-introduced.   There's no un-collared  wolves down there.  Really are you seriously telling me that,   then they fessed up after me not  taking no for an answer,   well yes there are a few un-collared  sub adults kicked out of the pack looking for new territory,  why didn't you just say that in the first place.  In southern  az some people think Jaguars are extinct,   no they're not.    There's just not a lot of them,   an adult male Jaguar think of them as ajn oversized  Leopard on steriods.    They say we have Jagurundi and ocelot also , but I've never seen one,  Jaguars  I've personally seen in az in the wild in my lifetime.   Jag's  normally don't roam except in the very southern parts of the state as they once roamed over a good part of the state,   and that's too bad I enjoyed not knowing where they were. 

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:25 PM »
Yes as Ron said Dubyam thanks for the story. I eat that stuff up. Im kind of A Bear / Cugar attack junky. I dont think ive ever passed up an article or post ever. As Montana would say I read to many stories. lol he's right there. But thats what has allways fascinated me about the outdoors that im not the top of the foodchain some times. Even thow the facts are no one has been killed here in MI. by A bear in my life time. And no one has been attaced by A Cougar in the states east of the Mississippi in the last 100 years. They still demand respect. Where I do most of my hunting is in the heart of bear and what is now cougar country. And in the words of the late Ben East (author of the book BEARS ) I simply dont go into bear country with out A gun capable of doing the job.
And as for denial our DNR denided the big cats for years that is untill one of there own was followed for 20 mins. as I posted earlier. When reports 1st started comming in that cougars were back in MI. I read in the local paper were my cabin was that 2 of them killed A bunch of live stock near by. I called the DNR and said I was worried about my boys playing in the woods. And I said I may go to jail but if I see one I will shoot it if I get the chance. She said between you and me you wont go to jail. And that to me adds fuel to the fire that the DNR planted them all along. I have heard that from A couple of good sources.
Mark

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »
Para,
I knew I wasn't the only one. I grew up down in south Georgia, and I hated pulling up to the house at night and seeing that burgundy shine scurrying all over the driveway, etc. It just gives me the creeps thinking about it.

I remember getting up one night and walking to the fridge for a drink. I step into the kitchen and heard the most awful crunch sound anyone has ever heard. I started jumping around the kitchen like a five year old girl screaming. Once I calmed down, I turned the light switch on expecting the worse. It was a potato chip. Don't ask me how it got there, but I was sure relieved...and embarrassed.

William

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »
Lol.Great one William.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 06:15:05 AM »
hstrymkrs  LMAO!!!!!  That is priceless, and I can sure relate to your reaction.

How about wild dogs, has anyone had any encounters with them?  I did at Fort Jackson, in South Carolina.  That my friends was not fun at all.  I think this has been one of the scariest moment in my life!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".