Spike Camp

Any Groundhog Hunters Here?

Any Groundhog Hunters Here?
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
I love to hunt groundhogs and was wondering if anyone else here hunts them. Especially from Virginia.  Thanks,     Gary

Re: Any Groundhog Hunters Here?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »
I used to have a dairy farm to hunt them on,but it closed down,and sold out to Builders.That farmer wanted anything that would dig holes,to be "GONE"  He had to put one cow down ,due to broken legs..Now I shoot Chucks in my garden,if I get the chance.Chucks can be tough to get sometimes......

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »
im from australia and do alot of rabbit shooting with my .204 and .22lr, its good fun we usually use a spotlight to stun them then blast away. the .204 just blows them apart and my vangaurd SUB MOA is just an awsome rifle to do this with. but if im eating them i have to go the .22lr its an old stirling but its as accurate as. im thinking of having some work done to it. any suggestions?

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:31:24 PM »
I love to hunt groundhogs. I usually get a couple hundred a year. The local farmers call me for help keeping the numbers down. If I didn't have to work for a living that's all I'd do in the summer! LOL<LOL<LOL

Sorry I'm not from VA, or we could hunt some together.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »
Hunted ground hogs every year when I lived in Ohio.
Farmers' requesting to rid their lands of the nusance critters.
Yes....Cattle breaking limbs....Farm equipt being broken....busted axles

Down in Bama these days..I haven't seen any chucks to speak of.
So I shoot rocks instead.
Feral Bull Hunting will keep the juices flowing.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 06:51:43 AM »
We've got big, fat rock chucks here in eastern Idaho. I shoot them with a .177 air rifle. Good spot & stalk practice. Getting close enough for a clean head shot and kill is tough! And lots of fun. ;D
The more people I meet the more I prefer my dogs! B R A A S Breathe Relax Aim Adjust Squeeze

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »
Hi!  This will be rather long, but seeing this question about woodchuck hunting brought back fond memories. 

Back in the sixties, when I was going to school at the U. of Michigan in Ann Arbor, I helped put myself through school by working at a sporting goods store.  A fellow employee and I had read about the good ground hog hunting in Ontario, right next door to Michigan, so we decided to go try it.  On Labor Day weekend, we went over and set up in a motel near Clinton.  Our procedure was to drive the back roads, and, when we saw woodchucks, we would stop and ask the landowner for permission to shoot.  Nearly always they granted permission, and even thanked us for asking because most shooters wouldn't bother; they just stopped their car and shot from the window or over the hood.  I was shooting a Weatherby DeLuxe in caliber .257 Weatherby with a 7.5X Leupold scope using factory 87-grain loads. 

Anyway, one day we were driving the back roads when we saw a woodchuck sunning itself on a huge boulder out in a farmer's field.  We stopped and glassed and decided to go back to the farmhouse and ask for permission.  It happened to be my turn to shoot, so I went up to the door and knocked.  The lady of the house came out, and I soon found out first that she was a native French speaker and didn't speak English very well, and second that her husband was not at home.  So, I asked for permission to shoot whereupon she asked where her cattle were.  I pointed them out to her in another field in the opposite direction from the sunning woodchuck, but she still was worried and seemed afraid to grant me permission.  Finally, she said, somewhat reluctantly, that I could shoot.  Yippeee!  Off we went the mile or so back to where our furry rodent was last seen hoping he'd still be there.  Yippee again!  He was.  We pulled over to the side of the road, bailed out of the car, I loaded the rifle, and we stepped through the barbed wire fence.  I took a good sitting position with my back to the fencepost while my buddy, Mike, looked through binoculars.  I tried to estimate the range, but wasn't certain.  I decided to just hold dead on (I had a 200 yard zero) and hope for the best, but thinking this rifle and caliber would shoot flat enough out to beyond 200 to quite comfortably take this woodchuck.

I took aim at his right shoulder, let out my breath, held it, and touched off.  Pow! went the rifle.  And Smack! came back the sound of the bullet hitting.  I lowed the butt of the rifle and said to Mike, "Dang, I hit the rock.  Did you hear that?"  Mike said, "No, I think you got him."  "Naw, that was too loud and sudden of a smack to have been the woodchuck.  Anyway, let's go see."

So, we paced off 260 generous steps to the face of the boulder.  On top of the boulder, which proved to be shoulder high and four or five feet square and flat on top, there was a huge red smear of blood, probably a foot by two feet in extent.  Well, maybe I did get him after all.  Next, we went around behind the boulder, and there lay our woodchuck.  Believe me, he did NOT suffer!  I picked him up by the tail and held him up in the air to look at him.  Holy Cow!  The damage was terrific!  There was no left shoulder.  His head was held on to the rest of his body by a thin and narrow strip of flesh; it was just dangling almost loose as I held it up.  But, the most amazing thing was that there was so much hydraulic shock from that 87 grain bullet travelling so blazingly fast (3800 fps @ the muzzle) that his eyes were blown out their sockets and were hanging on the 'chuck's cheeks connected only by the extended optic nerves.  I became absolutely sold on the .257 Weatherby at that moment!

Today, Ontario's weapons laws and hunting regulations just about prohibit such activities.  You must pay a $50 fee and fill out a form just to import your rifle, and, even then, you can't come into the country without a written invitation from the landowner extending an invitation to you personally complete with the dates for you to come. 

Holy Obama!  Let's all vote right in November so laws of this sort don't become common in this country. 

So, thanks for letting me be so windy.  Those were good hunts, and I only wish they were still possible. 

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
gtkollin said, "Back in the sixties, when I was going to school at the U. of Michigan in Ann Arbor, I helped put myself through school by working at a sporting goods store."  U of M, isn't that the community college in Ann Arbor?!  Don't feel bad, those who can't get into Michigan State have to go somewhere.

Okay, seriously, woodchuck are just about my favorite hunt!  I grew up near Mt. Pleasant, MI and have harvested a good half-dozen woodchucks per year out on the family farm during the summers.  Some of the most vicious rounds I ever hit a chuck with included a Mark V in .257 Wea Mag with 75 grain handloads, a Vanguard Deluxe in .25-06 Rem with 75 grain handloads, and a Vanguard Deluxe in .270 Win with 90 grain hollow points.

I discovered a trick to bring the woodchucks out of their hole, and to encourage them to stand on rear legs for a better shot...I set a steel target about 30 yards from their hole and ping it with a .22LR from about 175 yards.  Almost every chuck I have hit, I have hit in this way.  They consistently exit their hole to see what the noise is...when they stand, bang.  Some I have taken with the .22LR, and some with the varmint loads.  Either way you slice it, woodchuck hunting is about as fun as a Michigan summer can get.

Thanks for sparking some awesome memories by this thread.

"A Shootist

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »
Dirt pigs are all I hunt. Igave up on small game due to the lack ther of, and can't stand hunting deer when half the state is out in their orange. My uncle has about 400 + acres of rolling apple orchards in south central PA and I can hunt all of it in a day and never see anybody. I've shot them from 20 yrds to 320 yrds with my .257 accumark and my .204 ruger. Nothing like going out in shorts and flip flops and just enjoy the day. Killin one makes it even better

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
I haven't check this site for a while, so I have missed out on a couple of responses.

If you are a football fan in MI this year, you'd better not admit you're a UM grad.  3-9 is the worst season's record posted in my lifetime, and I'm 69 years old. 

I lament the lack of woodchuck hunting left in our Southeast Michigan region.  Particularly since woodchucks abound in my suburban Detroit location.  They are on lawns, in pastures, in orchards, along the roads...  But, rifle rounds zinging through neighborhoods is not a good thing nor even a legal thing, so I just enjoy seeing them as I drive along the byways.  I used to hunt them, albeit too infrequently, in Southeast Alaska when I lived there.  A friend and I would charter a float plane and fly into a high mountain lake and set up camp.  At altitude in Alaska, the hoary marmot lives among the rocks in numbers surprisingly great and definitely worth shooting.  Our shots ranged from nearly point blank (although always passed up) out to 1200 yards and beyond.  We used heavy barreled rifles chambered in .308 Winchester with 168 grain Sierra match bullets and .300 Winchester Magnum with 220 grain Sierra match bullets.  My buddy has a Swiss made German military range finder which we used to determine the distance to the marmot and which determined the sight settings we used to put on our Leupold Mk4 16X scope and a 10X German scope.  Complicating the shooting was the fact that some of it was done at targets steeply up hill.  Great sport!  One day we found some marmots through our "big eyes" spotting scope all the way over on the other side of the lake at a range of about 1225 yards.  We took a few shots at some chunks of ice along the far shore sort of as ranging shots, and, when we were doing pretty well, we took a few shots at the hoary marmots.  We, of course, were using the .300 Win Mag for those shots.  We were unable to actually hit the marmot, but we threw dirt on it and he scuttled down into his hole for the rest of the afternoon.  We considered it a "moral hit" since it was our first such try. 

Good times!  I'm back in stodgy, overpopulated Michigan now, but missing AK big time.

Have a merry Christmas, and here's hoping a Weatherby shows up under your tree.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
When I was a kid I used to hunt them with a 22lr and an open sighted model 94 Win in 32Spcl. Getting close was alot of fun.  I still get out a couple times a year only now it's with a 6mm or a 222 Rem mag (that was my grandfathers rifle).  The 222 Mag is a nice old 722 action with a big heavy Douglas Supreme barrel and a bench rest type stock with a fixed 10x Leupold AO an it.  I'm up in NW Pa and not too far from where that little Phil jerk sees his shadow all the time causing me six more weeks of snow in my yard.  Payback coming Phil. ;D     

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »
I enjoy groundhog hunting in VA, went up to 23 in 09 for count on Friday. On Friday I went 6 for 6 from different ranges. 3 were shot with a Cooper .17hmr / Leupold 3X9 (out to around 120 yards), Hornady 17 grain V-Max the other 3 met their demise from a Savage model 14 in .204 / Monarch 5X20 sf the furthest was 300 yards +/- a little, Hornady 32 grain V-Max. I realize this is a Weatherby forum and I do own a couple, they just aren't in what I consider varmint calibers.