Spike Camp

Return of the 284 Win

eford

• View Profile
Re: Return of the 284 Win
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 10:42:41 PM »
I think the .284 is a dandy of a caliber and honestly I don't know why more people haven't taken to it.  I think it'll come back even if it's a niche caliber but there's lots of us out here who like the odd ball calibers.  Me especially with my .338-378 Weatherby Magnum, 8mm Remington Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, and the .224 Weatherby Magnum to name a few.  These are great calibers and the people who understand their abilities love them for the most part.
I'm making a general statement with no "research" behind it but I think a lot of hunting rifles are bought based on what was seen in use by another hunter or on reputation. There is nothing wrong with a bolt-action 270 Win or 30-06 Springfield, but depending on what you're going for, there could be cartridges better suited for the game animal. I'm surprised the 338-378 Wby doesn't get more attention but maybe it is happening and I'm blind to it. One the matter of odd ball calibers and cartridges, I would love to get my hands on a 7mm Super Mashburn Magnum. The closest thing to it is a 7mm Weatherby or a 7mm STW.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »
Your right eford, the reasons are varied when something appeals to you. When I was younger, I didn't know anything about mannlicher rifles, but I thought they were the coolest looking firearms I'd ever seen, and swore I'd get one when I had the chance. Well I still think there cool looking, but I never got one. Wonder if you could get a 284 win in a mannlicher rifle? :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:10:01 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »
Your right eford, the reasons are varied when something appeals to you. When I was younger, I didn't know anything about mannlicher rifles, but I thought they were the coolest looking firearms I'd ever seen, and swore I get one when I had the chance. Well I still think there cool looking, but I never got one. Wonder if you could get a 284 win in a mannlicher rifle? :)
+1 I too fell in love with the Mannlicher rifles. I received a gift card for Sportsmans Warehouse and bought the Ruger 10/22 with the Mannlicher stock and I'm a happy camper.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:13:11 AM by oldchet »

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
I think the biggest things going against the .338-378 is the price of ammo and level of "power" it has.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not for the faint of heart and a serious force to be recon with.  I also think a lot of people that don't understand ballistics, bullet construction, and shot placement simply classify it as a cannon that does too much damage.  I've shot lots of white-tailed deer with mine and I keep the damage to a minimum because I place my shots to accomplish that.  I've had a buck quartering away from me and I placed the shot like an archery hunter would, I made my initial impact point a little beyond midway back in the ribs so the bullet would pass through the vitals and exit the brisket.  It worked perfectly and other than two cracked ribs you couldn't tell if it was hit with my .338-378 or a .30-06.  I also do my best to keep my shots that are less than 150 yards to the neck and if that's not possible I do my best to make sure the bullet impacts behind the shoulders rather than punching through them.  All this does take some knowledge and figuring and sometimes it just doesn't work out but nine times out of ten it works like a charm. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 05:06:33 AM »
I think the .284 is a dandy of a caliber and honestly I don't know why more people haven't taken to it.  I think it'll come back even if it's a niche caliber but there's lots of us out here who like the odd ball calibers.  Me especially with my .338-378 Weatherby Magnum, 8mm Remington Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, and the .224 Weatherby Magnum to name a few.  These are great calibers and the people who understand their abilities love them for the most part.
I'm making a general statement with no "research" behind it but I think a lot of hunting rifles are bought based on what was seen in use by another hunter or on reputation. There is nothing wrong with a bolt-action 270 Win or 30-06 Springfield, but depending on what you're going for, there could be cartridges better suited for the game animal. I'm surprised the 338-378 Wby doesn't get more attention but maybe it is happening and I'm blind to it. One the matter of odd ball calibers and cartridges, I would love to get my hands on a 7mm Super Mashburn Magnum. The closest thing to it is a 7mm Weatherby or a 7mm STW.
Getting a 7mm Super Mashburn is easy all you need is a good shooting 7mm Remington a chamber reamer and a good gun smith to rechamber the 7mm Remington. And you can make the cases out of 300Win mag brass.
Lots of info over on the Nosler reloading forum.
TD

Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »
I have a Winchester Model 88 lever action in .284 and I love it. I have taken deer and black bear with it. When it was popular I bought 500 cases, I still have 200 left, so I still use the cartridge, once in a while. I currently load the Hornady 139 gr BTSP....Works for me.
Molon Labe

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »
My brother a Winchester Model 88 in 284, he rarely uses it any more, like Big Muddy posted, trying to find ammo or brass for reloading in rural Canada, is not easy.

Rob

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 06:08:46 PM »
The only manufacturer that I have seen recently that sells that caliber is Cooper. Every now and again I do see ammo for it the last box I noticed was Wholesale Sports but they are closed now so that don't help any. I believe P&D enterprises have brass for that. Hope this helps you guys out a bit.